Author Topic: Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trapped by BSD and can not get out.  (Read 45942 times)

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trapped by BSD and can not get out.
« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2018, 05:44:42 AM »
If the SSD isn't being recognised by Samsung Magician, try rolling back the drivers for the SATA ports to the default MS AHCI versions; these will allow Magician to see the drive, the firmware to be updated and Trim to work. The downside is that the drive(s) may not be quite as fast.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 24, 2018, 03:20:37 PM »
Thanks, Satrow, but I do not understand how to do this.  I have a good Hitaghi 2 TB drive that is labeled H, and the SSD is C.  I tried swapping the SATA channels but when I went to boot I got the message No MstrBook.  I switch back again and now it boots.

I am fearful that I may damage machine.  I have GFS backup running each evening, but I have never restored from that and am worried it is is OK.

Samsung says that Magician just does not support the drive I have.  I find that very weird; I just do not know how they can sell a drive with no support tools.

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 24, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »
Roll back the SATA drivers as per my previous post, this will allow Magician to 'see' your drive.

The problem with changing your drive order using the cables as it stands is that the only working Windows install is accessed by the boot sequence 'bouncing' from one drive to another - not good long term, way too complex.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 25, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
OK, I am going to do what you suggest Satnow, but firts I am gong to attempt restore of system to another machine so that I know I can get back to where I am in case something goes wrong.  I may take more than a few days to find a machine which is stuitable for restore.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 28, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »
OK, machine has been stable for almost a week.  I did one windows update for my Android phone connection.
while applying it, the machine re-booted.

I figured that there was a required re-boot that I did not see.

But after re-booting, I saw something else that was on my machine years ago.  Machine was asking to me to insert the NaturalReader CD ROM.

I canceled this and continued to use my machine.  One of the programs I use is xxxxxx HD.  the xxxx part is something I can never remember so I normally just type in hd at the start search box.  Once I did that, the screens went blank and the keyboard and mouse went out (I.E. no light on the KB for caps log or numb lock).

I thought this was strange so I had to reboot by taking out power.  This time I did nothing else after canceling the NaturalReader dialog.

Now I am un-installing the NaturalReader to see what happens.

OK, so after un-installing NaturalReader typing HD and pressing enter did not re-boot machine.  Avast report still 13 registry enteries for NaturalReader are there.  Should I just forget about them?

I do not understand this.  I have not used NaturalReader for years.  What could have happened?

Could it be that HD <enter> is some kind of Windows command that I am unaware of?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:00:41 AM by FreeCat »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2018, 06:02:06 AM »
Howdy - Another two weeks have gone by with no updates needed and things going smoothly.
Hoping to get update from Samsung on software to get around NO BOOTRCD..

anything