Author Topic: how to know the compatibility of processor to the mother board?  (Read 8220 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
how to know the compatibility of processor to the mother board?
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:18:02 am »
hi, I changed the motherboard and processor. Some zeebros mother board and a processor. I had problem, initially, when the screen suddenly goes. I went to bios and disabled the fast boot, so i could look in to the process step by step. Yes, there was a message, that the processor attached to the mother board is not supported. I do not get exact processor since a technician fixed both mb and processor. Now, he changed the processor available with him . Now , booting shows the same message. But it getsto bios screen, when actually it shows the not supported processor to the mother board.
                          In one such replacement of the prcoessor available with him, the computer boots normally without any problem and so he fixed. It also shows the same not supported processor alert.
                              Now anyhow, it works . But can i check the compatibility of my fixed processor with mother board.
                             I heard that Boggins suggested a site, where ram could be tested for compatibility. Likewise, is there any simple check site, which does it to say, that i could use this processor . Motherboard is having no problem but it is a chip set.
                             I wish to state that higher versions say 4.0 version, if fixed, does not give any grahics and hence said not supported my system. Expecting reply
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: how to know the compatibility of processor to the mother board?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:48:59 am »
Your tech should be able to check any CPU compatibility problems and rectify.

I would take it back to him and tell him what is happening and get him to sort it.

I'm not sure if the Crucial Scanner would tell you what you want to know for your RAM but you can give it a try.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

This is for the UK but it may give you an option for India.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 04:56:19 am »
Hi, boggins ,
                    I could not locate the post, but remember that you gave a specific link , where i was able to test the compatibility of ram and some other parts of system. Ij provides the alternative to the proposed one also. Ok will try to locate the link in my total posts

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:25:17 am »
Zebronics MOBO? https://zebronics.com/legacy-category/motherboard

Run CPUZ to get details on the model number, CPU and RAM.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cpu_z.html

Once you know the processor socket, you can check for compatible cpus here...http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/index.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:54:42 am by Samson, Reason: Spelling »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:03:16 am »
Hi, Samson, Long time no see. Thanks. I tried to locate the zeb z31 mother board, which is not found on the site. I think , it is an old model board presently not being sold.I already downloaded the software from the same majorgeek and ran it. It shows, some results. But since, during the boot process, it shows as unsupported in its alert, i am asking whether it is working correctly. It shows that it supports intel pentium 4 mboards, which is showing the result in cpcud, i think that the present processor is supporting the mother board.
                         How to know that it is supporting technically.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 10:42:46 am »

Is it working OK? A P4 works in a LGA775 socket.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20775%20%28LGA775%29.html

It is quite an old processor, maybe unsupported in the BIOS. I'd suggest that your techie has put the cheapest CPU that was kicking around in that board.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:49:35 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 06:20:36 pm »
Hi, Samson Thanks for the link and explanation. If a processor is not supported in bios , but working, what is the meaning of it? He was having a dozen of processors. He would try one without the fan compartment, to see the graphics on the monitor. Some processors having higher  say 3.5 to 4 dis not show any letter in the monitor. I mean in the bios. Some gave the bios screen. He would then try from lower support version to higher support version, and then he has chosen 2-9 ghz processor.
He says that those model processors are out of stock in market.
Happy to learn from samson new things.
How to say that processor is working. There are some tech terms which i do not understand in cpu z detais.Now i do not have the boot problem. When he just replaced the mb, and fixed my previous processor of 2.666, i got blue screen of death some times and some times, auto boot change to cd dvd in bios.
               Samson, when i type the answer and tab  the space bar in laptop, sometimes, the cursor does jump to some other line in the previous writings. Why this behaviour? By the by , How are you, Boggins, Julian, and Shane. Shane is not coming to the site nowadays.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:23:01 pm by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:08:25 am »
The P4 processor is over 13 years old, XP era, and single core. I would have thought that at least a Core 2 Duo was better for that motherboard and windows 7. But if it works for you, then fair enough I guess. I just hope that you did n't pay a lot for it, the money may have been better used put towards a newer machine.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 03:06:37 am »
Hi, Samson, sorry for late reply.
                             Yes , you are correct, i experienced BSOD for 3 times with the error page fault on non paged area in all the times. I viewed the minidump in nirsoft software.
                               I tried so much tweaks, but could not find the solutions. Then i thought of running windows memory test. On opening itself, i got alert of hardware failure found in yellow colour, but the test completed with no output in the reboot. I then called the technician to correct it, and he replaced the mother board with core 2 duo processor. I thought that would end the test period.
                               But again the problem persisted. Then i told him there is serious RAM problem, which was noted when i ran memtest diagnostic. He asked me to replace the RAM to a different slot and check. I did and memory test found no problem in windows diagnostic as well as in memtest86. memtest 86 took more tome to complete but finished without error.
                                How to check that BSOD has been resolved? Is there any idea? Pl give me a link to hardware check tool that will test and report the pass mark  for cpu,mb,and Ram , all in one software for free.How page fault on non paged area is related the RAM?
                                    How can i be sure that RAM is the cause of the BSOD i experienced. Pl reply
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:10:06 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 06:01:11 am »
If you are no longer getting BSOD, then I'd say it is resolved.

Windows Experience Index will give a pass mark for your current hardware.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:05 pm »
Hi, Thanks samson. I thought that it was auto tuned.
I enclose the result, and would like your opinion. The score is 2 in re scan.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:17:51 pm »
"Auto  tuned" I dont know what you mean....It is not a "tuning" tool it just reports on your installed hardware's performance capability.

your integrated graphics is highligted as the weak link in your system's performance, hence the low score ( max is 7.9).  Did you click on "?" for more information.

If you can find a really cheap/ free graphics card you may raise the score.....But again, do you really want to put any more money into this?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:04:45 pm »
Hi, Can i buy a video card and is it easy to fix it ? I do not mind getting a new video card, but how to fix it. Previously, those arae included in the motherboard itself. Pl give how ?
Regarding the original issue, can i sure be, the issue resolved with regard to page fault on nonpaged area due to ram issue?
Could that be the case for page fault in Ramdom Access Memory? Or was that issue concened with hard disk or OS files corrupted?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 11:14:21 pm »
I don't know about the BSOD, it could be RAM influenced and simply removing and reseating the RAM fixed it.

Not worth putting any money into a graphics card for that machine, if the graphics work OK for day to day tasks, then it is fine.

Benchmarks are less important than how it works for you in the real world.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 11:17:27 pm »
Thanks Samson, that reseating would have fixed it. Thanks again