Author Topic: After Booting to Safe Mode, there is no way to login -- Suggestions??  (Read 7259 times)

Offline RochesterChuck

• View Profile
I used the latest version to WR Pro to boot to Safe Mode.  When the screen comes up, there is no place to enter my login.  Suggestions??

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: After Booting to Safe Mode, there is no way to login -- Suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 09:42:36 am »
Do you get the option to log in when you boot into Safe Mode manually ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:51:10 am »
I'm going to have to go shortly but if you still don't have a log in option when you boot into Safe Mode, there are some suggestions in this article, but ignore the part about using Driver Easy for updating drivers.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-no-login-screen-in-windows-10/

Offline RochesterChuck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:34:25 am »
Looked at all of the "fixes."  They seem to be for not getting to login screen under normal boot.  When I boot to Safe Mode, I get a screen that is larger than usual but there is no place to enter my 4-digit pass code.  There is a globe at the bottom talking about the Wireless -- which doesn't work, a power button and one that will turn off/on things like keyboard.  The Alt/Ctl/Del does not work.

I'm running Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, Build 18362.10006.  I have 64-Bit OS.  I'm gone for a bit as I am filling in for someone at work shortly.  Thanks for your help!!

RochesterChuck

Offline RochesterChuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 02:38:05 pm »
Hey Tom-

I get NOTHING.  The screen is like it would be when I do my normal login except there is no box where I can enter my 4-digit pass code.  I only have three icons at the bottom right, one for Wireless, one to restart and one that gives me two or three options- none of which do anything.  All I can do is restart.  Thanks!  Missed your post before.  In a rush this afternoon.  Now, I've got a meeting.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 02:45:14 pm »
I don't use passwords on my machines but I don't think you do get the option to login in that mode.

The reason your screen looks different is because in that mode it uses the onboard VGA graphics and not your normal GPU.

In that mode, Windows disables audio.

From Win 8/8.1 onwards, in that mode Windows disables wireless so you would normally Ethernet connect.

However, if it isn't practical for you to Ethernet connect, you can manually connect to your SSID.

When you get to the desktop in that mode, press CTRL ALT DEL then click on the wireless icon then on your SSID and then on Connect.

When it has connected, left click away from that pane to clear it then click on Cancel where you will then see a normal wireless icon.

You can then start the Windows Repair program.

Offline RochesterChuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 07:30:34 pm »
Alt/Ctl/Del doesn't work I'm just stuck with the mouse on an empty screen except for the globe for the Internet which won't connect, the middle icon, which has Narrator, Magnifier, On-Screen Keyboard, High Contrast, Sticky Keys and Filter and the right icon which is to shut down or restart.  The keyboard feature brings up a keyboard but nothing happens when you click on any of the keys.

Not certain if there are any other options.  I have no way of connecting with a cable.  I can only do wireless.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:25:27 am »
Well that sounds as if your system is corrupt and I would suggest you perform a Reset which will retain your personal stuff but will remove all installed programs.

In normal mode, press and hold SHIFT throughout a Restart - click on Troubleshoot where you will then see the option to Reset which when done will hopefully reinstate the Recovery partition.

However, you may need to perform a full reset which will remove everything which would require you to back up your personal stuff first.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:47:35 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 02:47:34 am »
I've just been having another look at the version of Win 10 that you say you are on.

On checking that, I've found it is part of the Insider's build release.

The official general release is 1903 18362.267

As this build seems to have taken out what you should get in Safe Mode with Networking then I think you should disregard what I've suggested about a reset and notify Microsoft about this.

The Windows Repair program should only be run on general release versions of Win 10 as the Permissions change with each update and is why Shane needs to update the program after each official update.

Offline RochesterChuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 02:59:51 am »
Thank you!  I'll report this to MS!  Have a SUPER day!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 03:04:35 am »
Can you let us know what they say ?

Offline RochesterChuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 08:49:09 am »
They have never responded to my posts/questions.  If they do, I will certainly let you know!  Thanks so much!!  Have a SUPER day!

RochesterChuck

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 02:38:23 pm »
That sounds about right :)

Offline RochesterChuck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 10:57:45 am »
Very interesting.  I went to my other computer, running Windows 10 Home, Build 18362.239, 64-Bit OS.  When I went into Tweaking and went to Safe Mode with Networking through the program, I was faced with the same challenge that I have with my other computer.  I am unable to log into the computer.  I rebooted and then went through the Windows method of starting in Safe Mode with Networking and I was able to log in and run the Tweaking Program.  Go figure.  What's going on with the restart in Safe Mode option from within the Tweaking Program??

Thanks!!  RochesterChuck

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 02:28:31 pm »
I'm unable to replicate what you are seeing as I don't use passwords on my machines.

Can you save a screenshot of what you get in Paint when you boot into that mode through Windows and see if you can save a screenshot of what you get when you use the repair program to boot into that mode and post both in your next reply.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 12:16:38 am »
I forgot to add - can you use the .239 machine for this.

That seems to be a little behind as a recent update on my 1903 took it from .267 to .295

Perhaps you could do a manual check for updates on that one.

Offline cslaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 10:55:26 am »
Tweaking is changing the Credential Manager service to Manual, when it should be set to Automatic.  This is the problem. If you boot into normal mode and login, go to services.msc and change the Credential Manager service to automatic, reboot to safe mode, the login prompt will be there.

If you run Tweaking in Safe Mode and the sleep timer kicks in before tweaking is done. You will be locked out of the session because you can't log back in. This shows that Tweaking is changing the setting and is the cause of the issue. Simple bug, please fix it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 01:06:46 am »
Tweaking is changing the Credential Manager service to Manual, when it should be set to Automatic.  This is the problem. If you boot into normal mode and login, go to services.msc and change the Credential Manager service to automatic, reboot to safe mode, the login prompt will be there.

If you run Tweaking in Safe Mode and the sleep timer kicks in before tweaking is done. You will be locked out of the session because you can't log back in. This shows that Tweaking is changing the setting and is the cause of the issue. Simple bug, please fix it.

The default status of Credentials Manager is Manual and Running, but it has been found that changes to Manual but not Running when using the repair program to boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

I'd passed this onto Shane who has now changed the program to set Credential Manager to Automatic during the process of the repair program to set the machine to boot into that mode which when the program is opened in that mode after logging in, changes it back to Manual but still Running.

When you update to 4.5.5 and use it to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, you will see that you will now be able to log in.

www.tweaking.com

Offline QuillServices

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 03:10:23 pm »
I get NOTHING.  The screen is like it would be when I do my normal login except there is no box where I can enter my 4-digit pass code.
Same symptom, but when I reboot to safe mode manually, Bitlocker prevents changing boot method without the client's Bitlocker password. Could this be a factor as well?

Searching the forum, I can't find any advice on Bitlocker and whether it is safe to run WR with Bitlocker and or in Normal login mode
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:12:52 pm by QuillServices »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 12:22:48 am »
It's never been mentioned before but I'll pass your concerns on to Shane.

I advise creating a system image and the means to recover from it before running the program, so you could do that and give it a try.