Author Topic: Two firewalls started after Windows Repair (All In One)  (Read 11121 times)

Offline chigwells

• View Profile
Hi there,

I sent this to Shane via email before I read that he asks to post feedback on  this forum, so I'm posting it here so others can read it too.

Hi Shane,

Following advice in MalwareTips Malware Removal Assistance forun, I was directed by Kuttus
to install your Windows Repair (all in one) tool.

Now I am amazed by your excellent collection of software, so I wish to give you feedback.

While I loved your software, after I had run it and restarted I decided to check that
Windows firewall was behaving itself. As I am running, and about to uninstall, BitDefender
IS2013, including their firewall, I did not want windows Firewall running as well.

As I was running your Windows Repair (all in one), I did see that you advised repairing
Windows firewall even if you don't use it. Because of that I would assume that your
software would run a repair of WF, but leave it in the same status as it was found.

As it turns out, I went into control panel to check that WF was not running. Control Panel
advised me I had both firewalls running!!!

May I suggest you tweak your software so WF, once it has been cleaned or whatever it is
you do to it, continues in its previous conditions, i.e. turned off. if this is not
possible, then a warning note advising the user to check the status upon reboot, would be
just as useful.

I will be recommending your software to all my colleagues.

Check out my thread if you want more details (page 2):
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Kazy3653-B-Trojan-prorat-W7-erratic-software-unres
ponsive

Regards, Chig.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Two firewalls started after Windows Repair (All In One)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:10:33 pm »
The normal state for the firewall is to be running. The repair is meant to put it back to defaults and get it working again. :wink:

Checking if the firewall is off wont work since viruses do that to the firewall already, and some viruses even report a firewall is running to keep the security center from popping up.

So of course if you run the repair for the firewall the firewall will be put back to start since that is the default for it in Windows. It only does it when you run the repair, so you either dont run the repair or simply turn the firewall back off after since it is just one time. It isn't starting the firewall at every boot or anything :-)

I am glad you like my work. I hope I can keep making my tools better as time goes on.

Shane

Offline chigwells

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:13 pm »

So of course if you run the repair for the firewall the firewall will be put back to start since that is the default for it in Windows.

Hey!

I think that was actually my point. Your 'of course' is my 'I've no understanding of how this software works'. It wasn't at all clear or obvious to me that it would be put back to the default (i.e. repairing = return to default). I thought it meant 'repairing = checking it is not corrupted (and otherwise leaving it how it is)'. That is why I got a shock when I saw it had been turned on.

My second suggestion of popping in a warning note would help half-techs like myself better understand your software, and make a great piece of kit, well, greater.  :tongue:

Anyway, just a bit of feedback. Regards, Chig.

Oh, and I should add that thanks your software I can now not only create Restore Points, I can perform System Restores too. Nice, haven't been able to do that since...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:44:25 pm by chigwells »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:06:25 pm »
I wasnt given you a hard time, I hope you dont think that :-)

I always take all feedback seriously and I understand what you mean. Where a tech would know the firewall would get turned back on a normal user may not. Which even though it does they can simply turn it back off, but a simple note before hand would be helpful correct?

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:45:38 am »
@chigwells: If you want to run the BitDefender Firewall only then you can tell WR to switch off the Windows Firewall (WF) service:
- Tick the box "Set services to default .......".
- Change the line "sc config MpsSvc start= automatic" to "......... start= disabled" in the file called "services_startup.txt". Then in the future WR still can repair the WF but the WF service won't start when your Windows system is restarted.

Offline chigwells

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 06:05:43 pm »
I wasnt given you a hard time, I hope you dont think that :-)

No no,  no problem. Just wasn't quite clear whether you got my point

a simple note before hand would be helpful correct?

Exactly that, no more no less. Your software has been so useful to me, as a 'reasonably competent self-taught' user. It was only by chance that I discovered that WF had been turned on.

If someone else uses your software to solve a problem, then inadvertently creates another problem (cause second firewall gets turned on without them realizing), well that's not good. Just wanted to give something back.

If you want to run the BitDefender Firewall

Thanks for that Willy, turns out I've uninstalled BitDefender, didn't like it at all  :tongue:  :shocked:
Chig

Offline chigwells

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:26:22 am »
@chigwells: If you want to run the BitDefender Firewall only then you can tell WR to switch off the Windows Firewall (WF) service:
- Tick the box "Set services to default .......".
- Change the line "sc config MpsSvc start= automatic" to "......... start= disabled" in the file called "services_startup.txt". Then in the future WR still can repair the WF but the WF service won't start when your Windows system is restarted.

What amazing software!

@ Willy, thanks. Found the text file, however as my system has settled down, WF no longer starting up, will leave things as they are. If I get the two firewalls starting up in future, will head straight for that file.

I'm assuming Tweaking All in One overrides the system settings?!

Old config: Bitdefender IS2013, Emsisoft AM (paid), Iobit Advanced Sysyem Care - Ultimate
New config: Comodo FW, Emsisoft AM (paid), Puran Defrag

System much happier, user (me) much happier  :tongue:

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 11:20:16 am »
@chigwells:

- Virusses disable & turn Services off. WR's "Set Services to Default" allows to turn these services back to their default state.
- for a number of repairs WR needs to temporarily switch off one or more Services. This feature allows the user to exit WR with their favourite Service settings.
- A number of Services can simply be "disabled" without affecting the overall performance of Windows. More over, less Services running speeds up one's computer. GOOGLE it for more info. Advice: Keep a copy of the original version of this file. It allows you to go back to the installation defaults.

I read that you had a problem with a Trojan. Trojans/virusses make changes to the Windows registry. When the user installs WR then also a program called Registry Backup (RB) is installed in a WR subfolder. RB can be configured to run upon start up of one's computer as well. It would allow you to go back to a previous (virus free) state. It's a REAL pity the WR installation program "buries" the program and doesn't place a shortcut to RB on one's desktop. (Shane ???????).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:21:03 pm by Willy2 »