Author Topic: Black Screen - Fixed  (Read 39408 times)

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Re: Black Screen - Fixed
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 09:26:52 pm »
Bad sectors can be a nightmare.

Get a new drive, get a free drive cloning tool and clone your drive to the new one. Keep the old bad one just in case you need another image of it.

Have chkdsk try to repair any errors it finds, it will try to read and move data out of the bad sectors.

Then once on the new drive and no more bad sectors we can try to do some repairs and see if Windows will come back up. Depends what was lost on those bad sectors. But since you have a reg backup you should be able to get it back up and going. :-)

Shane
I added this for reference;

Ok, after an online support session with a tech from Reimage.com, I was finally able to perform an 'InPlace Upgrade'. Basically he went through the same steps I had, including CheckSUR and sfc /scannow.

He did download and run a couple of tests with a tool from 'Tweaking.com' (Windows Repair - All in One). Step 1 advises the use of common anti-malware tools (e.g. MalwareBytes, etc.). Step 2 simply restarts the machine with a pending 'scandsk'. Step 3 runs 'sfc /scannow'. Step 4 creates a restore point. Step 5 performs some type of 'Repair', which appeared to reset permissions in the registry, files and folders. So, steps 1-4 were redundant with what I had already tried. After running step 5, we were still getting the same error.

Then he renamed %Windows%\SoftwareDistribution' to 'SoftwareDistribution.old'. That still didn't resolve the error.

But, after the end of the support session, I was able to run an 'InPlace Upgrade'--a major difference in behavior. It finished without any errors, and the machine appears to be back to a clean install, without having to reinstall from scratch.

I'm going to do a little research on the risks/benefits of the renamed folder. But, of everything I tried, that seemed to do the trick. If that doesn't work for you, then try step 5 of the 'Tweaking.com' utility as well.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/31911-63-0x80073712-error_sxs_component_store_corrupt-windows-ultimate

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 02:07:02 am »
Hi, Rick,  Have you got the installation cd.. Then mbr fix at the command prompt bootsect /nt60ALL will certainly help you. This is the solution, i came across surfing the net.
yeah, I have it, but that command is not available

for reference; this install disk I am running to reboot to repair is a replacement vista home edition with SP1

I ran the surface scan project, it found bad sectors, so I went to buy a new HD... will minitool copy the drive to the new hard drive.. continue withg repairs from their...

I noticed, if I try the re-install feature, it is a grayed out option, anyway too change that? what if I copy the disk to a hard drive and re-install from their? could I edit that command t obe able to re-install... this would be helpful in my case...

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 05:36:57 am »
Hi, here what microsoft expert say  about Black screen of death.
"Black screen issues are extremely tough to repair and any fix is usually on a hit or miss basis.
That there is no information on a black screen like there is on a blue screen just adds to the
difficulty. Often using a restore point nor startup repair will have any effect. You can try a
google to see suggested repairs some of which have worked however these cover a wide
field of efforts." So only i suggested reinstall. The fixes for this runs to pages and so many tools that one will take atleast 3 days to complete the exercise.

Not sure if I already asked or not:

lets say, I do re-install, new hard drive.
how can I migrate my programs from my old hard drive using it on the USB port as a hard drive?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:57 am »
Just use one of the free drive cloning programs.

You can save your whole system to an image and store it on an external drive. Then put in the new drive and have the software restore the image to the new drive. :-)

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 05:44:32 pm »
Hi, Try this link and see the video solution. It is simple
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6D-M9Uc1AA
If the above does not work, then try what I did. Boot off your Windows install disc, go to repair, & get to the command prompt. navigate to C:\windows\system32 and then rename utilman.exe to utilman.old

After that, rename cmd.exe to utilman.exe

Now, boot into Windows, and at your Black screen with the cursor now use the Key Combo [Windows Key] + and instead of bringing up the Accessibility Options, you'll get your command prompt. I hope this helps
Another try at MBR fix
To fix your mbr, boot from your windows 7 dvd, choose your language, time and keyboard input.
Click "repair computer"
Choose "command prompt"
Type: "bootsect /nt60 ALL" (without quotes )

Reboot

Edit: hit "del" to enter your bios to set your dvd as primary boot

jraju

I find this method to be ineffective in my case. still a black screen with a mouse, "not blinking"

this after we just bought a new hard drive and did a minitool copy to the new drive.. so yes, it's definetly the registry problem...

I find this method to be ineffective in my case. still a black screen with a mouse, "not blinking"

yes, I applied it to both drives c:\ d:\ and tried reboot in both

C:\ just endless reboot loop now

Next course of action, xcopy the system folder from the new install

I also tried SFC again; it will not work too;

action taken;

Partially confirmed. Running SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=[C]:\ /OFFWINDIR=[C]:\WINDOWS combined with removing/renaming [C]:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\PENDING.XML is the solution to getting SFC to run properly.

*Note that you must remove/rename the windows\winsxs\pending.xml from the hard-drive you are attempting to repair, not the virtual drive X: that the Repair Process tends to run off of*

SFC WOULD STILL NOT RUN; any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:37:42 pm by Rick »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 09:50:24 pm »
Hi, Rick, If it is a registry problem, All in one tool by Shane would have fixed it. Have you tried mbr fix. You have reported that mbrfix not available. Please it is available when you log in thro the installation cd. The method is
 Have the installation cd, and when prompt from cd comes enter to boot installation cd, and then when windows show start windows screen, select R for repairing and then enter 1 and password to go to c:\windows. Type FIXMBR to fix the unwanted entries other than the windows default mbr entries. Select yes if a warning message comes and then exit. Your problem would be getting solved. This even though seemed confusing will reset the mbr. Because the software downloaded might have included some entries to the mbr, making it vulnerabe for improper behaviour.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 11:26:36 pm »
Hi, Rick, If it is a registry problem, All in one tool by Shane would have fixed it. Have you tried mbr fix. You have reported that mbrfix not available. Please it is available when you log in thro the installation cd. The method is
 Have the installation cd, and when prompt from cd comes enter to boot installation cd, and then when windows show start windows screen, select R for repairing and then enter 1 and password to go to c:\windows. Type FIXMBR to fix the unwanted entries other than the windows default mbr entries. Select yes if a warning message comes and then exit. Your problem would be getting solved. This even though seemed confusing will reset the mbr. Because the software downloaded might have included some entries to the mbr, making it vulnerabe for improper behaviour.

J, Shane said his program does not run in a stand-alone or boot up, his tool can not run from a boot-CD... it can only work within a windows system already running. “A Fault that should be fixed”

Currently, I have enabled the new drive; used minitool too copy; the old C: and D: to the new drive.

I re-installed Windows on a new drive to be sure system will even work, updated it back to VistaSP2;
Now “X Coping” in Overwrite mode the following directories back to the new hard drive;

Will try let startup-repair recover the BCD in startup repair mode; otherwise will copy the BCD from the new install drive to the new hard drive "hopefully, the BCD here will at least boot up"

\Drivers
\Inf
\System
\System32
\Winsxs "we should consider to point the operating system to one (winsxs folder), it will save 10G's"

“Note that we should rename the pending-file in the WINSXS folder”

“X copy” Users last or next try, "depends on whether we get a boot or not after the above"

Anything folders I missed?

One issue; we need a program that will run in standalone mode to open the registry. Then we can merge an old registry into the stand alone mode and restart from their should work ok... "I did not find one to do that"

I did not use this method; but it would have helped!
http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-offline-registry-edit.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:10:35 am by Rick »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 04:53:32 am »
Hi, Rick, Thanks for the reply. But did you try mbr fix. ? This you can try from your installation cd.. If the problem is fixed then everyone will be happy. I think the other thing, is to me , is not possible as all the files in the cd is not readable and machine coded contains something like ddl_.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 06:43:59 am »
Well, we copied all those files, no luck

yes, I did the MBRFIX already, ran the /enum to check the entries. correctly.

Need copy the rest of the new install to the old windows folder, see whats really up then

Question; which folders holds the system operating system folders?

Shane, what your next plan here?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 04:53:16 pm »
Shane said his program does not run in a stand-alone or boot up, his tool can not run from a boot-CD... it can only work within a windows system already running. “A Fault that should be fixed”

Its not a fault that can be fixed, my code is written in VB which need Windows to run. And some things, such as registering files can only be done in Windows anyways, not a fault of my program there :-)

I re-installed Windows on a new drive to be sure system will even work, updated it back to VistaSP2;
Now “X Coping” in Overwrite mode the following directories back to the new hard drive;

So you where able to install vista fine on the new drive and it works.

Then you tried to copy over everything from the old drive. This doesn't always work. And xcopy isnt the best for this. Better off booting up with the ubuntu live cd and doing the copy from there. You can see files that Windows normally hides.

It is also possible something important for the system on the old drive is corrupted from the bad sectors and could also be the problem.

First do the unbunt live cd to copy the entire drive over and see how that goes. :wink:

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 07:11:42 am »
Hi, Try this link and see the video solution. It is simple
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6D-M9Uc1AA
If the above does not work, then try what I did. Boot off your Windows install disc, go to repair, & get to the command prompt. navigate to C:\windows\system32 and then rename utilman.exe to utilman.old

After that, rename cmd.exe to utilman.exe

Now, boot into Windows, and at your Black screen with the cursor now use the Key Combo [Windows Key] + and instead of bringing up the Accessibility Options, you'll get your command prompt. I hope this helps
Another try at MBR fix
To fix your mbr, boot from your windows 7 dvd, choose your language, time and keyboard input.
Click "repair computer"
Choose "command prompt"
Type: "bootsect /nt60 ALL" (without quotes )

Reboot

Edit: hit "del" to enter your bios to set your dvd as primary boot

jraju

J, do you know. I took the root to re-install...

But I want you too know, this GUY who gives such advice to do a clean install should offer to pay for what we can not replace..

one service I had cost me $9,000 in 2012, as it expired, I no longer have access to the records I downloaded

Arson is Arson whether it be my house or my computer from now on!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 11:05:24 am »
How did a reinstall cost you $9000!

Even for my customers I charge $75 an hour, who know how long that would take to get a bill up to $9,000?

But I want you too know, this GUY who gives such advice to do a clean install should offer to pay for what we can not replace..

Your not talking about me are you?

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 07:33:26 pm »

Even for my customers I charge $75 an hour, who know how long that would take to get a bill up to $9,000?

Shane

Shane

Shane,

I think, I rememeber clearly saying that;
The service I used to get information, an online service provider, charges 9,000 for their data.
data has nothing to do with an operating system re-install unless you need that data back for your business...

We all need work for life... including me! you hiring?

There are too many windows operating systems, they are all too in-efficient and corrupt with spyware, malware, viruses, spy technology, and you name it to prevent anyone from doing any real business except the repairman. "No Pun intended".

China has chosen to stick with the XP version and probably for a good reason, they have a billion people to keep happy...
MSFT would do well to consider that we do not need another operating system! we need ways to make money with what we have!
and not have to make programs to fix pictures for example, yes, I will find a program to fix that too for free...

I also disrespect MSFT for ditching Hotmail and forcing people to use Skype, it will be the biggest bad move in the history of MSFT...
No need tell the whole story!

I can claim that I believe infections are caused for a reason; to create ransom demands, regardless of what they appear to really look like.... we would all do well to realize that!

My system was working fine, then I suspected a virus, removed my hard drive to scan used rising anti virus on another computer, but it deleted my restore points.. sit man if the dreaded black screen didn't appear... no anti virus should delete restore points! no matter infected or not, they should be able to be cleaned period, if they can not clean, then that service is creating more problems than it is fixing!

Nothing is perfect... but it dont have to be torched either so maliciously!

I find, that you site, has a lot of good points, but I do not find that your site lets users aware that their are many siytes that literlaly cause the very problems your fix it program is designed to fix...

If I were you, I would post a link of every website that I can find that removes features and devices of any system!
let your listeners know... they will appreciate your fixes more... that a fact~!

Also, for the main reasdon I had come here was to seek help in fixing whjy the date was not working all of a sudden, I had found a link where that guy had similar trouble too... he eventually did a clean install too... But I actually found the code and posted it here for you to make a fix...

And, if you hiring, im listening!