Author Topic: Windows XP no longer genuine after running tool. Windows Repair (All In One  (Read 12331 times)

Offline EdwardNigma

• View Profile
Created restore point and backed up registry. After restoring both still showing not genuine. Ran multiple fixes to repair services damaged by the recycling variant of zero access which MBAM removed. Firewall, security center, automatic updates, file associations, and a few others. Had MSSE on machine so pretty sure copy was validated before running the tool. Again it's got a valid key/sticker so no reason it should have been using a WGZ killer that may have broken in the repair process. This is a friends machine and i won't have a change to gt back to it until Monday morning. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:20:08 pm by EdwardNigma »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
My program doesnt touch anything with the registration in Windows. The only people who have this problem are ones that are using an activation hack. The hack they are using modifies the host file so Windows cant talk to MS servers.

My repair hosts file repair clears those, and thus their hack isnt working any more. :wink:

But my program makes a backup of the host file. It is in the same folder as the host file, so you can put it back if needed :-)

Shane

Offline EdwardNigma

• View Profile
I'll take a look to see if it was changed and get back to you. I can't say for sure that it wasn't using something to stop WGA but I'm almost certain it wasn't. Will update on Monday.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Let me know :-)

None of the repairs touch WGA. And I have had 9 people report this to me, all 9 had WGA cracks installed and it was the host file repair that got them :-)

Shane

Offline EdwardNigma

• View Profile
I will thanks for the quick reply and the information. They have a valid Win key on the machine and they bought the system legitimately too so I don't see any reason why it would be running that but I'll check and get back to you.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Shane, perhaps, it is better your program detect issues that will cause such issues...

For example, your program should clarify what will happen if;

your program should run this check before installing, then we can skip a lot of nonsense hackers!

This will also put us in the good graces of MSFT team... Important!

Offline EdwardNigma

• View Profile
Used Microsoft windows key changer and used the key that was right on top of the machine and authenticated with no problem, I have no idea why it wouldn't be using a genuine key to begin with.

I did try and copy the host file to my flash drive but i deleted all the files on it when ti got infected by the machine in question. I did see one line in the host file for Microsoft that redirected to the local machine.

Maybe detect those changes and have your program keep them in the host file when it's done. Even if there was a popup warning me that it would break WGA work around I'd still have proceeded. :P Didn't know it would have trouble.

Thanks again for the information and also extremely happy it at least backed up the host file, restoring it was simple though not needed once I reactivated with the key on the case.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes but some people dont even realize their system has a WGA hack. This happens when computer shops fix their computer, seen it way more than a few times :-)

Just because the user may or may not have a WGA hack doesn't mean they are guilty of anything. :-)

But the last thing I want to do is try to make the program detect WGA cracks. MS already does this and that is their business not mine. My goal is to just help users get Windows working again :wink:

Shane

Offline EdwardNigma

• View Profile
Breaking a WGA hack moves them further from a working windows. If it had left that host entry alone I wouldn't have had to spend the extra time fixing a new problem. I'm not saying to detect and police the change, but to detect and leave the entry there to prevent problems. Just a suggestion.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You post right when I did, that last reply was for Rick :-)

But my repair tool isn't meant to make sure hacks keep working :-)

Right now the ONLY repair that affects the hack is the host file repair. In fact a lot of hacks for a lot of programs use the host file to block communication with their servers. But viruses and rootkits also put things in the host file. Thats why it doesn't seem like I should put something in the program to check for a WGA crack as I would have to find what hacks use it and what they put in there. My program is meant to repair Windows after all. And a hack is not part of windows. :-)

Microsofts own tech support is using my repair tool now, I dont think they would like it if I had it looking at the host file and putting back the entries for a hack.

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
well, we going to have to keep improving it...

did you grab that code I mentioned was the origianl problem, that will be useful, I saw several people ahd  that same problem...

I have an idea that will help to generate some revenues too... interested?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
did you grab that code I mentioned was the original problem, that will be useful, I saw several people ahd  that same problem...

Refresh my memory, I answer every post on both my sites, so I do get lost on old posts.

I have an idea that will help to generate some revenues too... interested?

Thanks :-) But I have a silent business partner take care of the business stuff so I can focus on helping people and programming :-)

Shane