Author Topic: Repair_Windows: Good and bad news.  (Read 6438 times)

Offline SBrumbyD

• View Profile
Repair_Windows: Good and bad news.
« on: July 29, 2013, 11:22:01 pm »
The program got hung while in the "Repair Print Spooler" step. I stopped that job and restarted it at that point. It finished satisfactorily. The repairs it made were sufficient to allow Windows Update to run to completion after several months of mostly failed attempts to apply the updates. It also fixed a problem that was preventing Windows Defender from running because its service was not running.
Unfortunately, it was unable to fix the error that is preventing Microsoft Security Essentials from installing. At first, it wouldn't install the 2 Windows Update jobs in the queue. Part of Troubleshooting involves uninstalling the product and reinstalling it again. I did uninstall it, but I've never been able to reinstall it successfully.
There is at least one other problem I associate with these repairs. The one I remember is that I currently log a DCOM server error event 10016 every 10 minutes. Actually, this problem could be the cause of the MSEInstall problem since MSEInstall is the parent of the Setup process credited with the first of each series of error ID 10016 events. The error reported in Windows Update is 0x80070645. I have never gotten any useful information by clicking the link with the error.
I've never had any training on this stuff, and I'm a little beyond the edge dealing with these errors.
Thanks for your program!
SBrumbyD
BTW, I'm not good at using forum-based correspondence, but that appeared to be my only choice. Feel free to use my email if you desire.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Repair_Windows: Good and bad news.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:14:16 pm »
I normally like to keep things in the forums so others can find answers.

But if you have info that can help make my repairs better feel free to email me :-)

shane at tweaking

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:15:31 pm »
Windows Repair doesn't touch Windows Security Essentials.

When an installation fails I do the following:
- Make a backup of the registry (e.g. Tweaking's Registry Backup)
- Run REVO uninstaller. Even the free version is GOOD.
- Clean the registry with EUSING's (FREE) registry cleaner (A thourough but trustworthy program) and CCleaner.
- Sometimes I go through the registry to manually clean the registry.
- Make a registry backup with Registry Backup.
- Try to re-install the program.

Offline Manish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:42:48 am »
Hi, for the past one week my PC is working slow and there is stuttering in audio/video files like mp3, avi etc, I did every possible thing like reinstaling my realtek audio driver, video driver, scanning my entire PC, running tweaking, but nothing worked, still stuttering is there like before. I don't know what is the problem whether I should reinstall the OS or is this any hardware problem, like processor. Please help..... my email id is [email protected]

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »
Manish please dont hijack another persons thread :-)

I like to help 1 person per thread so I dont get confused on who I have doing what.

I dont do email as I like to keep everything in the forums.

If you need help post under the computer help section and I will help you there :wink:

Shane