Author Topic: System Restore  (Read 8225 times)

Offline ArtemisTwo

• View Profile
System Restore
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:00:41 pm »
I had a virus which I got help from bleepingcomputer.com to resolve. When all was well again, I was told it was necessary to reset system restore to prevent my computer from being accidentally reinfected by using some old restore point(s). To create a fresh, clean restore point, I was told to:

Turn system restore off.
Restart computer.
Turn system restore back on.

All went well until the last part. When I tried to turn it back on, however, in the System Properties' System Restore tab, under Protection settings, it just said "Searching" for Available Drives. It said that for a long time, and I don't have so many drives that this should take more than a second. Until it identified drives, however, I couldn't turn system restore back on.

I was told to try it in Safe Mode, but it turned out System Protection isn't an option there. Then it was suggested that I download your Windows Repair All-in-One, which I did. I've run through the processes on Step 2 and Step 3, as was suggested at bleepingcomputer, and am in Step 4 trying to create a system restore point.

How long is this supposed to take? I've had it running for a couple of hours now and nothing really seems to be happening. In fact, earlier, I used Task Manager to stop it because I thought it had stalled, and then tried again. As I say, it's been a couple of hours now. It says it's "Creating Restore Point," but I'd like to have an idea of how long this should take.

Since it's nearly 11 p.m. here, I'm just going to leave it on all night, but if it doesn't create a restore point by morning, what advice do you have for me to accomplish this?

Thank you!

Offline ArtemisTwo

• View Profile
Re: System Restore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:56:03 am »
Woke to the usual  pop-up window saying "___ closed unexpectedly. Windows is searching for a solution," which, of course, never works. I closed the window, pulled up Tweaking again, and proceeded to the Start Repairs tab. When I clicked that, I got a warning that a restore point hadn't been set, and would I like to do that, so I clicked yes.

The restore point magically started and ran! I have no idea why it looked like it was running the prior two times, but didn't. Maybe it just needed a nap...

Thanks anyway!

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:28:57 pm »
Windows System Restore (SR) normally takes a number of minutes (not hours) on my Win 7 system. SR is a wonderful tool if it works but it also can be a nightmare. Instead I would install & use Tweaking's Registry Backup. It can be set to back up (as the name suggests) the registry everytime upon start up. It works much better than SR and is less prone to malfunctioning. Although it won't harm if you make additional SR points. Better safe than sorry.

Offline ArtemisTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:53:30 pm »
Thank you for that. It verifies my limited experience with system restore, which is, essentially, that it didn't work.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:44:35 pm »
System Restore is great when it is working, but once it breaks it is a very hard thing to fix. For one reason, Microsoft has zero information on what System restore needs.

I am hoping to make the first system restore fix, but so far it hasnt gotten to far, lack of information is killing that project lol.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:08 am »
Hi, Shane sir, Thank you for your post. In my friends computer, he has accidentally resorted to SR and system was restored. But suddenly he wants to roll back to the previous one. But alas, the undo my restoration point radio button was not there. Why this has happened, sir, Is there any way to get it back. How menus are swallowed. It was win 7 os and the particular tab was not present. is it because of a virus, sir,
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:28:01 am »
He might be better of doing a repair install :wink:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:26:18 pm »
Thank Shane for the reply. i told him so.  Regarding this thread, I would suggest that the present trojan or keylogger or some other rootkit programs are trying to hit the system restore, so that you do not have a restore back chance or removing the radio buttons, in my friends case. The undo system restore button has not been found to restore back to the original position. Particularly, browser hijackers are resorting to this method of injecting their other side of the genius
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".