Author Topic: Windows Repair all-in-one issue  (Read 12256 times)

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
Windows Repair all-in-one issue
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:19:16 am »
Hello All,
First of all, let me thank you for making the Windows Repair (all-in-one) program.  It saved me from a re-install of Windows or resetting to manufacturer-defaults.  My system works perfectly now.

Nevertheless, I had following troubles to correct after going through the program: my system restarted and kept restarting over-and-over.  Before restarting, Windows told me that this or that service was stopped and they needed to be restarted.  So, I had to be very quick and try to restart these services in between two restarts.  I do not remember exactly which services it were, but I have a little program called ‘PC Fresh’ from Abelsoft that corrected  these faults for me.
All is well now, but I wanted to inform you about this.  Maybe you can check what this may have been.

Kind regards from Brussels, Belgium.
Walter

Win7 pro – 4 Gb RAM – SSD Samsung 830 series 120 GB for System – External HDD’s for Data

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
Re: Windows Repair all-in-one issue
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:29:03 am »
Sedigh,

Please check your reply.  It's seems strange to me as it says something about an illegal operation...

Regards,

Walter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:22:14 am »
I do not remember exactly which services it were, but I have a little program called ‘PC Fresh’ from Abelsoft that corrected  these faults for me.

Any chance is there a log on what it did So I can see what services where fixed?

Shane

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »
Well, I remember the first two: DCOM Service & Plug and Play.  After I corrected these the restarts stopped.  The rest were corrections done by 'PC Fresh' automatically, but I do not think they were absolutely necessary.

I hope this gives you some hints.

Kindest regards,

WW

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »
I will see if I have those services in the repair program yet :-)

Shane

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:24:44 pm »
I hope to have been a little bit of help.  I'll be happy if it can make your program somewhat better.

Kind regards,

Walter

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
Re: Windows Repair all-in-one issue - Services Win7
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:31:12 am »
Shane,

Most people do not know what the default 'Services' should be and therefore they set too many of them to 'Automatic' which slows the system down.   As it is extremely difficult to find advices how they should be set, there is one place where I found perfect instructions: » www.blackviper.com «.

Hope it helps to set them all correct in your Windows Repair programme. 

Still, it is a fantastic little programme!  Congratulations.

Regards  |||   Walter

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:40 am »
The info from that website has been used for WR ("Set Services to Start Default"). But - at least - one of those services mentioned (SharedAccess) is missing from the services that are set by this repair. Must be added in the future. Perhaps more (missing) services need to be added.

@WaWa: Didn't you use that repair ? Because that would have set "Plug and Play" to its default value as well.
Don't you use Tweaking's Registry Backup ? Since the start up state for these services is stored in the registry making a backup every time upon start up with this program would make it extremely easy to restore these services to their previous values. No need to manually tweak the services.

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 05:01:18 am »
...it's good news that you use the advises from BV's website.   :smiley:
[1] However, it surprises me that DCOM and Plug_and_Play being stopped was the main problem.  Apparently PC_Fresh said that there were five more stopped.
[2] I do not use the program to recover the Register.  I always thought by using this the old settings were all reset.  Using Windows_Repair - I thought - would then been of any help :thinking:.
[3] I am not complaining - on the contrary! - it is just to inform you about my experiences, if they be of any help. :rolleyes:
With kindest regards,
Walter

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:22:52 am »
Don't worry. It's clear you're not complaining. Your posts will help to improve WR.

WR puts a number of things (Services, firewall, Windows Update, etc.) back to their default (!!) state, not to their previous old state. It involves, for over 90%, changes to the registry. That's why Registry Backup (RB) is such a wonderful tool, as well. If something goes wrong with your system (after using e.g. WR) then you can go back to a previous state of the registry with the help of RB.

WR needs to stop & start a number of Services, in order to be able to repair Windows. But that new state could be not to the liking of a user. You can tweak the start up state for a whole range of Services to your own liking with the WR option "Set Services to Default Startup". If e.g you have an AV then you can switch off the MS WinDefend Service.

More info:
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1270.0.html

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 06:44:14 am »
Thanks for the information. :smiley:  I downloaded the Registry Backup program.   
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference between resetting the registry or going back to a previously made System Recovery point? :undecided:

Thanks beforehand if you would clear this up for me (and other readers maybe).

Kind regards,

Walter

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 07:19:57 am »
In "Step 4" of WR you can make a "System Restore Point" (SRP) and/or let RB make a backup of the registry.

A SRP contains MUCH MUCH more info from your computer than a "registry backup". On my Win 7 system a SRP is always more than 4 GB in size whereas a "Registry Backup" is ~ 150 MB in size. Quite a difference.

Windows System Restore is a wonderful tool provided it works but when it doesn't it's a REAL nightmare, a REAL "pain in the **s". There're simply too many things in a SRP that can go wrong. So, it's better to use RB. RB has saved my computer "bacon" at least a dozen times. But you always can make new SRPs. Better safe than sorry.

(and tell your friends about the wonders of RB !!!!)

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 07:52:23 am »
Willy,
Thanks a lot for all these information's.  I also prefer to reset an image rather than a SRP.  I try the SRP first, only knowing I have a recent Image of my C:-drive - just in case.  As I have only the O/S on my SSD C:-drive it is quick and reliable with very little risk as all the rest is on my D:.

Kind regards and continue doing well with » Tweaking.com_Windows_Repair «.

Walter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:48:20 pm »
Blackviper is where I got all the default service info already :-)

It may slow the machine down but those are the defaults.

I am thinking of adding another option to the set services to default, add a tweaked one where it has some of the extra carp most people dont use disabled. Not sure how I will do that yet.

Shane

Offline WaWa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 08:57:05 pm »
Shane,

That is a very good idea.  When the difference between the two options is briefly explained and people have to make a choice, it should work.

Kind regards,
Walter