Author Topic: Re: Two Windows 8.1 issues still unsolved  (Read 11970 times)

Offline piggynuts

• View Profile
Re: Two Windows 8.1 issues still unsolved
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:19:40 pm »
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,755.30.html  <<---- old thread about same issue...

Hey Shane,

First off wanted to thank you for your tool, it's quite revolutionary and has saved me in a jam many times. 

I myself ran the All-in-One, and my Windows App Store stopped working after that.  It fixed my external hard drive which I couldn't install anything on due to reallocations, and your tool made me quite happy, but today I discovered Facebook doesn't install, it downloads but then fails at the install. Was there any progress made with fixing this? I ran the Windows Cab file you had posted and it didn't fix it.  Also tried going into the my computer thing where you had me right click and add access to all users, full control was already granted.  I don't really want to refresh my PC atm.  I'm getting error 8007064a. 

Thanks !       !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:46:54 pm »
Always start a new thread for yourself, I moved your post to a new one for you :-)

When you ran the repair tools did you run the reg permissions repair?

Also as a test, make a new user and then log in as that user and try the app store, let me know if that works.

That freaking app store is so easy to break it isnt funny. In Windows 8.0 I couldnt touch any reg key permissions under hkey local machine or the app store freaked out, but hkey current user was fine. But looks like in 8.1 they changed it to not like hkey_current user touched. I may need to make a quick update and block that from 8.1 as well.

Shane

Offline piggynuts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 03:08:50 pm »
New user account fixed it. 

Went back to old account out of curiosity and it still had troubles.  I converted it to a Microsoft Account and it still did not work.  Will take a lot of effort to move stuff over to new account, so next lazy day I guess I'll do it. 

Do you think running the updated tweaker tool again will fix anything with it?  I'm on 8.1 

THanks again. 

Offline piggynuts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:10:11 pm »
And to answer other question yes I ran the reg permissions fix, because I had a hard drive with some bad sectors that I couldn't access data from, it magically fixed it. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:21 pm »
OK looks like something n 8.1 doesnt like having the reg permissions touched. And of course MS has no info on it, so looks like I will need to disabled the reg permissions repair int he program until I can find out what keys the app store wants AND what permissions needs to be on those keys for the app store not to complain.

The problem isnt the app store not having permission, it has permission to those keys, the problem is it is checking for something specific on the permissions and if it doesnt match it simply refuses to work. The app store is horribly buggy. Just like if a folder it needs isnt there it will error out instead of just making the dang folder!

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:17:10 pm »
Good news I finally found the first thing to tell me what the app store needs! I will be making a repair for it and adding it to the program :-)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/notime/archive/2013/10/18/fix-store-app-in-windows-8-1.aspx

Shane

Offline piggynuts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 03:27:33 pm »
Problem solved, you're the best.

At first I got that error, as posted.

I changed the owner of that reg Folder to SYSTEM, and it went into effect immediately.

So you just need to change your Registry batch tool to watch out for that folder and change owner to system from whatever it's currently set to. 

FinallyI have the pretty facebook (: lol all this for that....

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »
And I just put out WR v2.1.0 with the repair app store in it now :-D

Oh and I updated the reg permission repairs to change that regkey section back to SYSTEM when done as well.

Great to hear it works for you!

Shane

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 01:22:40 pm »
Just updated to 2.1.0 and I found "Repair Windows App Store" automatically ticked on a Windows 7 machine.
I think this entry should be disabled for all systems except Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:57:00 pm »
Just updated to 2.1.0 and I found "Repair Windows App Store" automatically ticked on a Windows 7 machine.
I think this entry should be disabled for all systems except Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

Yes BUT if you try to run that repair on Windows 7 or earlier it will skip it :-)

Shane