Author Topic: XP Support Stop  (Read 9506 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
XP Support Stop
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:54:01 pm »
Hi Shane

I am a Home user and have a XP computer

Because they are going not support XP does this mean that i either have to upgrade to Win 7 or 8 or buy a new computer?

With your great work on the programs you supply, this computer runs as well as it can, thanks again.

I believe it is really only going to effect the security on websites, is this correct, and is there a way around it?

I suspect that Windows are doing this to make people  upgrade either their OS Windows 8 or windows computer.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:56:06 pm by Oscar »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: XP Support Stop
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 06:48:17 pm »
That just means they will not be making any more updates for XP.

If your machine is to old then it wont play well with 7 or 8.

I say stick with 7, I hate Windows 8 new interface, and I will find out when Windows 9 comes out if MS says screw it and keeps the new design, will have to wait and see. Till then I am very happy staying on 7 :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:11:46 am »
No support for XP anymore will also mean no security updates anymore. Would adding an separate AV program (Norton, Avast, ..... ) help in that regard ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:35 pm »
Means if they find any more holes in the OS they wont plug them. But as long as your behind a router or firewall it isnt normally a problem.

But XP is old. And it is still good. But it came out in 2001 and MS wants to move to newer stuff. It isnt just about sales because they can keep selling XP. It comes down to in order to do some of the new things they have to update the kernel in Windows and that normally means a new version of Windows since the kernel is the core of Windows.

XP is simply outdated but still a good OS, so MS is having trouble getting people to move from it. Windows 7 was a great move from XP where vista failed. Windows 8 is not helping things that is for sure.

Shane

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:52:12 pm »
That just means they will not be making any more updates for XP.

If your machine is to old then it wont play well with 7 or 8.

I say stick with 7, I hate Windows 8 new interface, and I will find out when Windows 9 comes out if MS says screw it and keeps the new design, will have to wait and see. Till then I am very happy staying on 7 :-)

Shane

Thanks again Shane

I am not ready to buy a new computer yet (this one is 7-8 years old) would like to look at Windows 9 (if a improvement on 8) so would like to wait for this.

Is there anything i can do to keep this Computer going on XP safely (use cit for home use websites, home banking). I have Avast, Malwarebytes).

Do i need to make sure the firewall is on?

Thank you

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:24 pm »
XP will keep getting updates till April. Just make sure everything is up to date including your software and you should be fine.

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 01:34:41 pm »
I have the default MS Firewall on my XP laptop and I am behind a router. So, I should be/am (relatively) fine. Or has the MS (Software) Firewall holes as well ?

Perhaps I'll add a AV program as well.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:36:33 pm by Willy2 »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 02:32:20 pm »
Hi All,

An interesting thread.....I am sticking with XP until I have to replace any of my machines.

My plan, for what it's worth, is pretty much as Shane has outlined.

I use XP firewall and am behind my Netgear firewall too, I run my web browser in a sandbox, keep my AV and Flash Player updated. I have uninstalled Java, no need for it personally, and keep regular Disk image backups on separate internal and external drives.

I guess when my hardware eventually dies then I'll migrate to a new OS, it may well be Ubuntu.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:37:27 pm by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 12:26:46 am »
Hi, This is interesting. I am thinking that Msoft would not give any support to xpsp3. But i think you could use as long as you like. I know people who use xp without any updates and still there is no problem.  Ofcourse, some future programs will not work. But you could connect to internet and ask other forums for any help. No download will be available after that date.
                  XP though old supports all the programs then in vogue. Ofcourse, it has the problem of installing drivers for the software. But otherwise, it is the best operating system. You could format and again install xp and run smoothly. There are plenty of sites, which has archives of help for xp. May be it is old one for msoft, but it works like gem in search and other matters. It supports all formats. Then there is compatibility tab which may support advanced versions to work in old systems.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".