Author Topic: same repairs takes longer on other pc!  (Read 13940 times)

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
same repairs takes longer on other pc!
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:45:42 am »
I have tested your program on two different systems, and found that the problem of the same program and not from my laptop or from low RAM!

So Here's the deal: I am right now, use another computer and another Windows system and the size of RAM is 4 giga However your program takes longer on other pc than the time it takes for my computer....

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: same repairs takes longer on other pc!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »
As I have said before, the speed of the repairs is totally up to the speed of the CPU and the speed of the hard drive. Also When doing the permissions repair for the files it matters on those 2 plus the number of files. :wink:

Shane

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 06:34:17 am »
This is a new laptop I'm on! Everything is fast memory and hard drives are so fast Is there anything wrong?

And I'm sure it's not a problem of memory or hard drives! Keep it fast!

It should improve some repair and make it run a little faster

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:04:54 pm »
- Did you disable your AV ?
- I am familiar with the program code. Repairs #1, 2 & 4 simply take a A LOT OF time. Especially the "C:\windows" folder and the horrible subfolder "winsxs" contain A LOT OF subfolders & files.
- Perhaps repair could be improved. Just let the user select from which folder he/she wants to reset the file permissions of. Some AV programs have a similar approach. There the user can select between "Fast Scan", "Complete scan" and a "User defined scan".
- Do you have a Vista or Win 7 laptop on which you installed later a separate Service Pack ? Then you can reduce the amount of files in the "Winsxs" sub-folder.
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,933.0.html

WARNING: Think twice if you REALLy want to "touch" that "Winsxs" subfolder !!!! When in doubt, DON'T DO IT !!!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:25:15 pm by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:13:03 am »
The repair program writes out all the repairs to bat files and then windows runs them from there. So there is no way to slow or speed up the repairs.

What is the cpu speed on the new system vs the old?

And if your AV is enabled that can use up more cpu as well since it is scanning everything.

Shane

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 02:46:10 am »
Aha this thing really bad. and Here's both systems information  :artist:
and No anti virus installed on both systems

windows ultimate

Processor:intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU   M 480 @ 2,67GHz  2,67GHz

Memory installed:3.00 Gb(2,74 Gb used)
System type:32 bit

my xp http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1425.msg9224.html#msg9224  :artist:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:50:59 am by G-hot »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:00:09 am »
To reduce the amount of time WR needs you can remove as much files as possible:
- Temporary internet files (IE, Firefox, Chrome, .....). With e.g. Piriform's CCleaner.
- Run WR's repairs #13 & 16 first. #16 deletes Windows Update (WU) related files and over time A LOT OF files can accumulate in one or more specific WU related folder.

If you're sure you don't want to un-install XP updates in the future then you can do the following:
- Delete files in "C:\windows\$hf_mig$" (I do it every time and it never had a bad impact).
- There're also can be A LOT OF subfolders in the "C:\windows\" folder that are displayed in blue and that start with "KB.........". These folders are created by the Windows updates.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:10:26 pm »
CPU is almost 1ghz faster on the new machine vs the old one. So the repairs should be faster.

Unless the hard drive is in use by something else or the av is still running that can slow things down.

Next time you try, try closing all the programs down that you can first. Before you run the repairs open the task manager and see how many processes are running int he background.

Shane

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 05:48:45 am »
CPU is almost 1ghz faster on the new machine vs the old one. So the repairs should be faster.

Unless the hard drive is in use by something else or the av is still running that can slow things down.

Next time you try, try closing all the programs down that you can first. Before you run the repairs open the task manager and see how many processes are running int he background.

Shane

I always do I close everything when I run a program for better and faster results for repair! However this still take longer time / different times on two different systems!? Lol Here I am shocked on my Windows XP all repairs take less time than the other Windows system and it is the fastest Windows 7!? I still shocked! Somebody says, oh. Ambulance says do not worry we handle it ' =)   :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: lol

:cheesy:  :wink:

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 05:55:52 am »
To reduce the amount of time WR needs you can remove as much files as possible:
- Temporary internet files (IE, Firefox, Chrome, .....). With e.g. Piriform's CCleaner.
- Run WR's repairs #13 & 16 first. #16 deletes Windows Update (WU) related files and over time A LOT OF files can accumulate in one or more specific WU related folder.

If you're sure you don't want to un-install XP updates in the future then you can do the following:
- Delete files in "C:\windows\$hf_mig$" (I do it every time and it never had a bad impact).
- There're also can be A LOT OF subfolders in the "C:\windows\" folder that are displayed in blue and that start with "KB.........". These folders are created by the Windows updates.

I'll try this later! After Shane confirmation of what the problem is! :smiley:

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 10:56:40 am »
- The new programcode (from e.g. v2.10) skips one file (on a XP system) that takes a LONG time to register.
- Reseting file permissions requires Windows to access the NTFS' MFT for each file. In that regard the disk I/O (which is comparatively slow) is certainly a bottleneck. And the faster the disk (in rpm) the faster WR will run.
- "Repair WMI" requires WR to search the entire disk for 2 particular type of files and that also takes A LOT OF time.

What is the total amount of files on both XP systems ? What's the size of the registry ?

Other suggestions:
- Defragment & optimize your disk & registry every say week. Defragmentation on a XP system will compact the files as much as possible and that should reduce disk I/O time.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 02:05:42 pm »
Less commands are done on the XP system so that will contribute to the time, and the speed of the drive makes a big difference as well.

It is a repair tool, not an optimizer. So as long as the repairs are working I am happy with it :-)

Shane

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 12:38:54 pm »
OK.Willy2 & Shane.'ll See what I can do!  :smiley:

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 02:44:03 pm »
@Shane: I know WR is a repair tool. For optimizing one's system one must use other programs. Or if one is familiar with MS DOS commands then one can write a batchfile with all the appropriate commands.