Author Topic: IE 9, your not Fine;  (Read 6703 times)

Offline Rick

• View Profile
IE 9, your not Fine;
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:02:59 am »
When I reset the developer options to IE8; the webpage loads;

"please do not prevent me from making money ok"! (FIX IT)

but how many customers would know that?

Code with IE9 = Code with IE8 (needs an auto reset when loading pages) ...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: IE 9, your not Fine;
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:13:46 pm »
Not sure what you mean.

But XP stopped at IE 8, and IE 7 came preinstalled on vista and stopped at IE 9 and I think Windows 7 had IE 9 by default?

But they have IE 11 out for Windows 7 and 8.

IE before version 10 where horrible. 10 was a little better and 11 they finally started following standards better.

And why on earth they cant have the newest IE on the older Windows I dont know, bad programming?

So it does matter what version of IE you have and what version of Windows. IE is a mess lol

Shane

Offline Washbush

• Beware of bread and circuses ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:50 am »
A question for me:  Is there a way to use any version later than IE9 with Vista SP2?

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:53 am »
Not that I know of, but at the same time I never tried. The earlier versions of IE are horrible and have so many security holes in them that you can get infected very easily.

Honestly, use firefox or chrome :-)

Shane

Offline Washbush

• Beware of bread and circuses ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:06 pm »
Right.  I have become quite a solid Firefox User.  There are a couple situations where Chrome seems to work better, and running streaming video is occasionally one of them ... at least here at my house.  For me, finding and using the Firefox add-ons is what pushes it over the top for me.  Lots of choice, so far zero problems that can't be handled with a click to turn them off, and they seem to be made in a more mature, logical way.  Back to Chrome, the thing that bothers me the most about Chrome, and all of Google for that matter, is that they are encouraging me to turn over every single bit of information I have about me.  That even includes where I am, where I want to go and how I am going to get there ... much less all of my personal (and psychological) data.  That is just too much for me.  I still will back away from just about anything that I think looks like it could compromise my privacy. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:51:12 pm »
All I use is firefox as well. Same reasons for me with chrome, except I am a power user and I need my toolbars for the stuff I do, the no toolbars in chrome is nice for a home user yes, but not for a power user.

But both are very good, follow standards and the newest versions work on every version of Windows and non Windows alike. IE never followed html and css standards because they where the only game in town once the killed netscape. So now IE is trying to catch up on the standards but you dont get the newest versions on older OS's, which if you want your browser to rule is a big mistake.

They need to but cant rebuild IE from the ground up. Why? because of backward compatibility, which they still have a hard time with, so they give you compatibility mode. Thats the problem when you dont follow standards, you paint yourself into a corner.

While IE 11 is better on standards and security, but they cant or wont let it run on older OS's. They tie IE into the OS to much and reply on the OS to much, where firefox and chrome try to stay away from needing anything on the OS other than hardware (Sound and Video). They dont require certain services or files in Windows like IE does.

My Simple Port Forwarding program uses the IE control to work with webpages. Firefox and chrome dont offer anything like that for programmers, otherwise I would had used firefox in it a long time ago.

Shane