Author Topic: FOLLOWUP: On resolutions of Win 8.1 Repair from Jackdashack  (Read 12954 times)

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
FOLLOWUP: On resolutions of Win 8.1 Repair from Jackdashack
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:08 am »
Shane: tried to send this as a pm. Said I was blocked. LOL I never had sent you a thing and I am such a newb here I know I have not upset the cart yet. But here's what I wanted to send.

Didn't want to post something in a NEW POST that might appear that resolve wasn't great! It was but today it's being bad, as if there wasn't a complete resolution. Fact these little bugs might have pre-existed but I don't think so.

1) When I sign on there is always notification of UPDATES to download. I go there and there are none. So I says to self, in the past things like this I could change the option/apply/reboot/re-apply the option I want/reboot and resolved.

2) In this case it won't allow me to make changes saying I must be the administrator. How am I not the admin, it's my pc from the very beginning. Even this little program I that's says it's added a couple lines to the registry to make me admin (again?) does not work. In the past some messages said I need administrator confirm, then lets me go the 2nd time. This one will not even allow me to change how I get Updates. I can never remember having a problem with that at all.

Any ideas?  Jack ":-\\
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:47:02 pm by Jackdashack »

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
Re: FOLLOWUP: On resolutions of Win 8.1 Repair from Jackdashack
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:33 am »
Sound not working again. All programs usually on the taskbar not loading. Going to try using an old Restore Point.

First looked for the one you made. Wasn't showing? All was showing was Restore Points I made that morning after restoring to a point before tweaking.com which should have been clear of all changes.

* Restore points won't open. Going for SAFE MODE.
* In safe mode I see the restore points, it's been on restoring a restore point for 20 minutes or more ... as if it's stuck!  Back later after walking away it's showing my photo and sign on. Said there was an error in restore. BTW I didn't see the Restore point I thought you made while in TeamViewer. I think I said that above.
* However it seems to be corrected again in spite of saying the Restore Point didn't take. Sound, everything seem fine. Of course twk.com is gone again, in the state you found it when you took the cursor on TeamViewer.  At this point I'm content to use it. Something about my pc doesn't like what's going on with twk.com. 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:06:40 pm by Jackdashack »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:02:48 pm »
Sorry been gone all day fixing computers.

I have PM disabled ont he forums completely for me because of the amount of people who PM instead of post lol

You had my email you could have used that :-)

You didnt do a restore yet did you? I want to look at it and see what has happened since yesterday.

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:30 pm »
I'm sorry, when it went South I just wanted to get it back into a working state. And yes I could have emailed you and surely it would have went straight to your smartphone, but I didn't want to appear as an idiot that trying to bug in the instant. I posted, waited for maybe an hour to see if you were around and then restored it to the state before twk was installed. I know you can't be at your desk all the time either. As far as I know, as I said above, it's back to the state you found it which was

Restored to before tweaking.com
BUT
tweaking.com is still on the local drive.

I just wanted things to work. I'm can't begin to exact why it started fowling after we had it going well. I changed nothing. So ... I don't know as I can go through all we did on the phone once more.   :confused:  Don't know what to tell ya?  It appears I now have control back of changing Update modes and it's not reporting false updates available as I reported in the initial post.  I know it bugs ya to not know. I get there too at times even though you have more knowledge in your little toe than I do my whole cranium. I still get bugged debuggin!  :rolleyes:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:41:21 pm »
Dang, I would have loved to been able to connect to it while it was going bonkers.

After we did the repairs yesterday everything was running perfect even after we rebooted. I dont suppose you took a registry backup BEFORE you did the restore did you? At least with that I could check the old registry files :-)

But if not then no worries. Just let me know if the system goes nuts again without running any of the repairs.

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 03:46:23 pm »
 :smiley: Okay, if it starts going bonkers again what shall I do?  This .....

Open Tweaking.com and do a reg backup and a restore point and not touch the pc as far as getting it back to a stable state?
Then try to hold off, leave it unstable until I get wored to you? Use that email if it's like going to your smartphone and at least I can know I let you know, get a reply and know how long to wait?

Is that what we're look at here?  I can do that if that's what you are saying?  :sarcastic:  ":-D jack lol

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:49:44 pm »
The question is did it goes bonkers from something with the repairs but if it did it would have happened yesterday. Or is there something on the system causing it but normally it wouldn't because permissions are tied down more before he repairs.

Personally I really really want to see it in a broken state so I can see what is happening. So it is up to you, if you want to do the repairs again and see how it goes that would be great. Then email me and I will let you know when Iw ill be in front of my computer and I will remote in and take a look. And you know restoring the system works so you dont need to worry :-)

If you are not up for that then just leave things as they are and see what happens as well :-)

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:02:29 pm »
Hmmmmm ... give me a nights sleep on it! LOL  :sleep:  I may attempt it early in the morn. Weary of it now. And I'd like to know too the answer. It only seems to happen, (I know you are good to go when you say it's not the program) but it only seems to happen after installing it and running it. When I go back to the state before it I don't have problems. Now that's not a dissing of the program. Frankly I think it's a lot of program and labor intensive work (double something there) to be giving away so generously. And with so many PC's with so many in different states of maintenance and multiple programs, I frankly don't know how guys like you get something to run on 3 pc's coirrectly, let alone 1000's. It's been no problem whatsoever on a dual core XP, an Acer Netbook and and older Toshiba Satellite laptop. Not a problem at all. And, I don't know what's going here. But maybe I'll work it from this angle. Let's see if it stays stable for a couple of days, in it's older state (B4 TWK) and see if problems come. Then, after a respite and I get up the gumption I'll install and run the repair again and see if it does the skitzoid stuff again. I'll try to hang with it to help. How often do we that take free stuff (did you get my $10 donation on paypal? haha) have an opportunity to give back. So if you don't hear from me give it a day or two, next 2 are busy outside. The East Coast is weakly leaving Winter behind. It's was chilly and cold today and yet we have had Summer like days in the last month. A week ago we had sleet and ice on the blooms.   :omg:  Jack  ":-D

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 04:07:20 pm »
From just the download numbers from the download sites of WR it has at least been ran on a few million computers already lol

So what is happening here is something unusual. So unlike what any other company would do out there and just count it as a fluke and move on, I dont. My OCD wont let me, I want to know the answer and I want to make my program better by finding out what side effect is happening and with what.

So I need it to be broken for me to do that lol. I was disappointed when I ran all my repairs remotely with you and nothing broke LOL

Take your time, I have a busy week ahead of me, have a few computers to build and multiple customers to go to, so no rush :-D

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 04:15:54 pm »
 :smiley:  Glad for your great business and the millions of downloads. What's the old saying, "If you go to work doing what you like to do ... it's like not having a job at all and getting paid."  Okay ... haven't heard the last of me! hahah! ":-D jack

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:59:20 am »
Hey bud, thought I would let you know.

Had another user post, Windows 8.1 and no sound and other things broken after running the repairs.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php?topic=1994.0

I had him check and sure enough the unmarshlers reg key was gone again, even though the program put them back. I have him putting them back again and see if they stay.

So the unmarshlers regkey is normally very locked down, and when the reg permissions get reset then they are able to be deleted. Nothing in my program is deleting them, something in Windows is. So to fight that I am going to make a quick update to the Windows repair tool, where in the last repair when the reg keys are put back I will also have it lock those keys down again like they normally are. I ope that will take care of what ever it is in Windows that keeps deleting those damn keys :-)

So before you try your test for me wait till I have 2.6.3 out. This way I will know if my update will finally fix this damn thing :wink:

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:27 pm »
 :cheesy: You betcha! How will I know. Should I check something here or can you send a mass email from our profile to all about the update?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:23 pm »
I post on the facebook page when I put out updates, also when you open the repair program it will let you know if there is an update.

In fact I plan on having it done today. I found the secuirty that needs to be set and I am making the changes now :-)

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:20 pm »
 :artist: Did not realize a Farcebook page. I'll have to LIKE it! ":-D

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 02:35:56 pm »
Done! Lets see how this new one does :-D

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One) v2.6.3 Released.
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

v2.6.3
Updated Repair Registry Permissions

Updated Restore Windows 8 COM+ Unmarshalers

The 2 repair updates both have to do with a bug that only hits a few Windows 8.1 users.
When the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unmarshalers permissions get changed and are not locked down then for some reason Windows deletes that registry key on reboot.
Only happens to certain machines and appears to be a bug in Windows. The repairs have been updated to now lock down the registry location like it was before,
this will stop the bug in Windows from the registry key from being removed.
When this registry key and its sub keys are removed the COM+ wont work and sound will stop working among a bunch of other things.
The Windows Repair Program didn't remove these, something in Windows does for a unknown reason. Now with that registry location being locked again it stops that from happening.

Shane