Author Topic: SOLVED on page 3! svchost.exe (during boot, especially)  (Read 29591 times)

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
SOLVED on page 3! svchost.exe (during boot, especially)
« on: May 22, 2014, 12:06:02 pm »
Howdy, Shane.  I have a long boot because of svchost.exe, seemingly because of the WIFI network svchost.exe.  I'm running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.  4 GB RAM. 

System Explorer tells me that svchost.exe (of which there are MANY within Windows!) is utilizing near 100% CPU cycles at boot,.  It is taking "forever" to get ready to use.  Here's a clue:  When I "disconnect" from the wireless network and connect to another wireless network within my area, I get the very same svchost.exe utilizing near 100% CPU cycles for 4 to 5 minutes at a time.  This has been a very recent occurrence and is out of the ordinary.  My "System Explorer" tells me nothing more than what I've conveyed.  I'm perplexed and kind'a frustrated that I can't figure out the cause of it!

I've run all the tests, et al,  from Windows Repair and can't seem to get a "feel" for the solution.  Any ideas?

Bubba Euler

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:36:52 am by Bubba Euler »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: svchost.exe (during boot, especially)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:28:04 pm »
Hi, bubba

did you try to look at the process tab, in the task manager, which is causing 100% of cpu. Did there any gif desktop running continueously, . Please check the process tab, and note which process is responsible for the maximum cpu usage. Try to stop, if it is not system normal processes.
                          You could also download process explorer from sysinternational and check the processes hidden, which is causing this. Pl stop those processes and your problem will be solved
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 12:09:42 am »
Remove & re-install the network driver.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:50:35 am »
As willy said, trying updating the network card driver since we know it is network related.

The wireless service is going to try and work with the wireless card, if the drivers have a bug or if the wireless card itself is going bad then that service will not work correctly and could explain the maxed out CPU.

It is also always possible it is an infection as most rootkits try to bind themselves to the network. But before we go and think it is a rootkit or virus the easiest thing to do is to update the network drivers :-)

Go to your device manager and tell me the make and model of the wireless card and I will see if I can find new drivers for you, let me know the current driver version you have now.

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:01:14 am »
Broadcom 802.11G Network Adapter
Date: 5/8/12
Version: 5.100.82.139

"svchost.exe" Variant 1140279

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company:
Microsoft Corporation
Description:
Host Process for Windows Services
Version:
MD5:
c78655bc80301d76ed4fef1c1ea40a7d
SHA1:
619652b42afe5fb0e3719d7aeda7a5494ab193e8
SHA256:
93b2ed4004ed5f7f3039dd7ecbd22c7e4e24b6373b4d9ef8d6e45a179b13a5e8
Size:
Directory:
C:\Windows\System32
Operating System:
Windows 7
Discovered:
February 15, 2010
Occurence:
High oc2
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:15:41 am by Bubba Euler »

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 08:31:07 am »
This hasn't been "solved", as yet.  I'm still looking for a solution and the newest driver.  Task Manager says I have the latest Driver version!?!  This problem exists only at boot and just beyond.  The rest of the operation period is without hindrance.  The wireless network  works well and has no other visible problems.  Have you found a newer Driver for Networks or, perhaps, a newer version of SVCHOST.exe?  Thanks!!

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:57 am »
One thing looks like you forgot to say is what version you are running. Is it 32 bit or 64 bit.

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 10:14:28 am »
One thing looks like you forgot to say is what version you are running. Is it 32 bit or 64 bit.

64  Windows 7 Enterprise.  New install w/i 2 months.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 05:40:25 pm »
svchost.exe is used by almost all the services, so dont worry about that file itself.

Task Manager says I have the latest Driver version!?

task manager doesnt tell you if you have the latest driver, where did you see that?

Also go to the device manager, go to network adapters and go to the properties of the wireless adapter, post a screen shot of the driver tab which shows what version it is, if it is a store bought machine what model is it, I can go see what version drivers they have listed :-)

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 06:43:09 am »
I checked the Update Driver button and it told me that I had the latest version.  The wireless network is seemingly working just fine and dandy. 

The computer is an ACER 5517 (Single Core AMD CPU). 

This 100% clock problem at boot and at various other times during the day is a NEW occurrence several months after installing Win 7 Enterprise x64.   

svchost.exe" Variant 1140279 is what is using the CPU time.  This .exe has about 7 Windows programs it services.  Thank goodness for my System Explorer.  At least it lets me see a little bit about what is happening at the time.

Oh!  I'm a Viet Nam veteran and I hope that you and your family have a wonderful Memorial Day/Weekend of good memories.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 10:53:56 am »
The update driver button doesn't go on the net to look for drivers, it simply looks on the current system and Windows updates if there is a updated driver, otherwise you use that button when you want to manually point it to drivers you might have downloaded :-)

I looked at acers website and they actually have a older version of the driver listed on their site, it might be worth removing the driver you have now and using the older one, sometimes that can make a difference as the newer driver could be trying to load something with the wireless that isnt supported on that model but it is on newer models, so by using the driver version that is on their site we can test that.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Broadcom_5.60.18.8_W7x86W7x64_A.zip?acerid=633918985603329761&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%205517&OS=711&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

You said it worked fine for a while and then started doing this, is it possible the driver got updated and thats when it started?

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 07:23:22 am »
If the Driver was updated, it was accomplished without my permission!!  ~Ha~!

I use IObit's Driver Booster and have not had a download since Jan/Feb this year.  It only acknowledges certified-by-M$ Drivers. 

Question:  Will the existing Driver be retained on the HDD when I install the "older" Driver?  I would like the option of having the existing Driver handy if I need to re-install it, for some reason. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »
You can tell if the driver had been replace by clicking the roll back driver button. If there was no older driver it will say so. At least that way you will know :-)

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 01:58:44 pm »
Ah!  Will do.  Between this svchost.exe excess cycles and the newly DARK screen problem, I'm hesitant to press the Power Button!!!  Golly, gee whiz!!!!!!!!!!  I've got the White Collar Windows 7 Enterprise!  I've maintained this little sucker of a laptop and STILL I get this "crap"~!   Good grief, Charlie Brown.  Apple's looking pretty good, right now.....................

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 03:39:28 pm »
You may just need to do a proper power reset.

Shut down the laptop, pull the battery and unplug the power cord.

With both pulled out hit the power button a couple of times. When the system tries to turn on it will drain all the electricity out. The hardware is now properly reset. Plug everything back in and boot up :-)

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:08 am »
Did the Power Reset.  Still exhibiting the unexpected Dark Screen.  Also the near 100% SVCHOST.EXE CPU cycles during and after each re-boot.  I also "rolled back" the Wireless Driver - to an even EARLIER number than you provided.  ~Ha~! 

I expected BETTER operation from my laptop after installing Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. 

Here's the strange thing I've noticed:  After about 30 to 45 minutes of use, the DARK Screen and SVCHOST.EXE problems disappear until the next Boot.  Hmmm? 

System Explorer still gives the same data about the svchost.exe variant.  Wow!  I'll have learned some good stuff about Windows when this gets solved!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:03:52 am by Bubba Euler »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 10:00:09 am »
Have you done all of the Windows updates yet? and I mean all of them until the point it says there is no more updates?

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 10:05:18 am »
Have you done all of the Windows updates yet? and I mean all of them until the point it says there is no more updates?

Shane

YES!  I keep updates updated!!!  ~ha~!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 10:51:50 am »
I never had the problem with 7 that you are having. So thats why I asked on the updated :-)

So far it looks like it is a hardware/driver problem. But it is odd that it just started happening out of nowhere, which means it most likely isn't driver related but instead it is hardware related. But at the same time if it was then it wouldnt just start working.

So instead lets see if the system just needs tweaked.

Download and run my simple system tweaker
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/simple_system_tweaker.html

This will turn off some of the services and I want to see if it helps.

Shane

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 11:55:39 am »
Before I read your last missive (Simple System Tweaking), I did a Safe Mode SFC /scannow.  It found no faults.  However, on that next re-boot, the SVCHOST.EXE ran at near 100% for only ~30-45 seconds.  The DARK Screen issue did not appear. 

Well?   I'll run the Simple System Tweaking, as I've done prior;  However, I'm gonna' wait until after the next boot to see IF the problems re-appear.  It's good to see some daylight, ahead!!   ....  or maybe it's headlights....~ha~!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:01:19 pm by Bubba Euler »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »
Hi, I think that your computer is affected by autorun.inf , which hide as system svchost.exe. It was a old attack and yes, it only shows the process for a few seconds before vanishing.Usually this attack is spread through pen drives. The cure is , please download malware bytes and update and scan. It may fix. But this is a hidden process , and some times it is called new folder virus.
This is the tool i used to get rid of it
http://oldmcdonald.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/autorun-eater-v26/
                    Please try this.
                     Normally malware bytes removes any malware and suspicious processes
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 11:52:11 am »
Ran the Old MacDonald/Auto-Run and MalwareBytes.  Re-booted.  No found objects (except for Nirsoft - Ha!!) 

:smiley:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 11:54:25 am »
Have you done combofix yet? There have been a TON of times where combofix was the only thing that found and cleaned anything. Just make sure to do a registry backup first :-)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 12:34:48 pm »
According to info from "Super User" the soft/hard-ware from Broadcom is (more) than a bit buggy. Some users complain about the software using too much memory & resources.

Offline Bubba Euler

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 01:21:56 pm »
According to info from "Super User" the soft/hard-ware from Broadcom is (more) than a bit buggy. Some users complain about the software using too much memory & resources.

Ah, so!!!  Recourse?