Author Topic: IE won't allow downloads  (Read 6617 times)

Offline gandalf41265

• View Profile
IE won't allow downloads
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:28:30 am »
Hello-

Well, after spending 2 days on a clients machine trying to figure out why IE would not allow downloads and then crashed and restarted, but all other browsers would, even after clean sweeps (6 different products)  of malware, through bleepingcomputers I ran across your product.

This product found issues in every step of the scan and repair process. It corrected all of them.

And I am very very pleased to say it fixed the IE issue as well.

I am currently checking for updates and it seems to be taking a very long time, but I will see how that part goes.

But for now, the reason I used the product- It worked!
Thank you very much
Frank

Offline gandalf41265

• View Profile
Re: IE won't allow downloads
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:32:37 am »
Ok, updates finished and this thing pulled down 197 security updates that had never downloaded and installed even thought the client machine was set to auto.... interesting.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:38:48 am »
- One shouldn't pay too much attention to the errors generated by Windows Repair. Some errors show up in spite of all being well.
- Don't do any other "computing" when Windows is busy updating one's system. Let Windows run without any interference. Windows Update is quite "brittle" and comparatively easily broken and then you could end up re-installing the entire OS.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:42:21 am by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:00:21 pm »
Good to hear it got you fixed up :-)

The IE problem is because a virus messed up windows defender or security essentials and so IE fails to download because it uses them to scan the files. My repair program fixed that for you.

As for the Windows updates taking a long time, that is because the repair removes the Windows updates cache and download folder (It doesnt remove any installed updates itself) so when you go check for updates it is like it is being ran for the first time and so it takes a while as the database is rebuilt. Then it will properly show you any missing updates that havent got installed yet :wink:

Shane

Offline gandalf41265

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 05:06:54 pm »
Hi Shane-

I have a couple of issues/questions I would like to ask you about. What is the best way to go about communicating directly with you?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 05:08:04 pm »
Normally forums is best, just so others can have the info. Or if it is more private you can always just email me directly :-)

shane at tweaking.com

Shane