Author Topic: Need to Fix Windows Package for KB2656356  (Read 9437 times)

Offline jmcc4831

• View Profile
Need to Fix Windows Package for KB2656356
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:10:24 am »
I just ran the Windows All in One Repair (ver 3). Thank you for this tool. The pre scan reported a problem with a windows package. The message read:
corrupt file (Bad Digital Signature)
C:\windows\servicing\packages\Package_For_KB2656356~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.1.mum

I'm not sure how serious this is. But apparently it need to be repaired manually. I have no clue how to do that. Could you provide directions?

My computer is running Windows 7, 64bit.

Thank you

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Need to Fix Windows Package for KB2656356
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:46 am »
- Do you have one or more failed updates ? Is this KB .............. one of them ?
- GOOGLE it to find out when this update was issued. If it's an old one then perhaps it doesn't matter if it's corrupt.

- Perhaps uninstalling & re-installing this update would solve the problem ? I assume MS still has that Update available on its website. But I don't know whether or not this procedure would mess up your system. So, think twice before you do anything that can't be reversed.
- This "file check" tool is brand new. So, we don't know of what's the best way to solve this problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:49:53 am »
It's a 2011 patch https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2656356 which you could see if it will reinstall, but first go to Installed Updates and enter KB2656356 in the top right search box, right click on it when found and select Uninstall and then try the download.

Given the difficulty in someone being able to use this exploit, it's unlikely that you are infected but as a safeguard, run a scan with ESET Free Online Scanner. http://www.eset.co.uk/Antivirus-Utilities/Online-Scanner

Click on Advanced and check all of the boxes, with the Archive one being optional then disable your AV program immediately before clicking on the Scan button.

It will take a while but when done, check the box for auto uninstall.

Try the AiO WR again to see if you get the same error message.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »
Actually it is a lot easier than all that, All you need is a good copy of the file to replace it with. So I pulled the 2 files you will need off of a good Windows 7 64bit in vmware, I attached the files for you.

Extract both files, then copy and paste them to
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages

If you get a permission denied error, then let me know, you will have to take ownership of that folder and I have an easy right click menu option to do that, and I will post that if you need it.

Once you replaced the 2 files, reboot and run the scan again and see if it is all good :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:56:15 pm »
I still think the ESET scan wouldn't go amiss as something must have corrupted it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »
I find that random files in that folder get corrupted a lot. Either because bad sectors on the hard drive, or an update crashed while installing and so the file didnt get written to correctly. I have also seen the antivirus cause the problem as it was scanning the file before letting it write to the drive, and something went wrong and the file is the correct size but is all empty spaces.

I haven't seen viruses target this folder, since there is nothing to gain from it, but doesn't mean they wont target it lol

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 06:27:04 pm »
According to the MS article it's only a remote security loophole possibility, but something had to corrupt it and it's probably as you suggest, although a robust anti malware scan now and again can be helpful.

Offline jmcc4831

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 02:04:55 pm »
Thanks for the excellent feedback. I have know idea how you guys know all this stuff.  I did discover that the KB file was a security update going back to March of 2013. Since I ran Win AllinOne V.3, my machine seems to be running so much better. IE was almost unusable before, with a lot of circle time, white pages and non responding messages. Same with Outlook but to a much lesser extent. I will save the fixes Shane provided and I'll run the scan. But for the time I'm hesitant to do more than just enjoy a smoother running.
Thanks again, very grateful.
Jim  Jmcc4831