Author Topic: Problem with new Repair Network (3.2.1)  (Read 6568 times)

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
Problem with new Repair Network (3.2.1)
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:50:04 am »
This repair broke my internet connection because it constantly removes gateway ip address at every boot.
5 minutes later (without any user interaction), gateway ip address is automatically restored.
This behaviour is repeated at every boot or restart.

So, I manually restored an old registry backup created before your repair, no problem now.

Windows 7 SP1 x64 with Windows Defender (no other security software).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:03:32 am by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with new Repair Network (3.2.1)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:49:44 pm »
This repair broke my internet connection because it constantly removes gateway ip address at every boot.
5 minutes later (without any user interaction), gateway ip address is automatically restored.
This behaviour is repeated at every boot or restart.

It happens every time after reboot? Even after the system has the gateway back?

Thats very odd, the repair does delete a registry key as per Microsoft's instructions and that key is rebuilt on the next reboot. Tried and tested it on every system I have and everything is fine with it. Not to mention that the key is only removed once making windows rebuild it, there is nothing in there to have it keep deleting.

So you restored the registry from before the repair and it stops, so the question is what is different from it. Other than that one reg setting it removes the repair is the same as before, so I say lets take a look there.

The key that is removed is under HKLM\SOFTWARE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network and is "Config"

This was added as it helped fix a lot of network problems when it gets corrupted. It is also on MSs own support site on some articals to remove it when having trouble.

So lets see if we can find out whats going on with it, maybe the system isnt recreating it like it should for some reason?

Shane

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:27:07 am »
The key that is removed is under HKLM\SOFTWARE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network and is "Config"

Wrong, Config key is under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network.

I already tried a manual removal through regedit and I don't have any problem.
It happens just when I use your program to perform the repair.

I'm not sure if it may be related to the other issue I'm having with RB, it's a weird coincidence.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:30:55 am by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:46:54 am »
Ha! I missed that one when I added it to the program, so it isnt even removing the right key anyways and since that path doesnt exists it isnt removing anything for that lol

I fixed that so it will be in the next update.

As for the other thread I answered that, you have some files in the wrong folder and if there is wrong versions of files it could be part of the problem as when you register files they are written to the registry, so if you have the wrong versions of them it could cause problems and would make sense with what is happening.

Shane