Author Topic: Re: Computer Slow Boot Up[Solved]  (Read 22329 times)

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Computer Slow Boot Up
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 03:48:35 am »
I think you should disable some startup program and your computer will start faster, smoothly.

I think we've covered that  :rolleyes:

Offline dondon

• View Profile
Re: Computer Slow Boot Up[Solved]
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 07:07:17 am »
Subject covered.But 0.07 s boost after disabling all software its kinda disappointing,not even a single 1 s.My laptop is used mainly for Photo/Video/Audio editing ,Office Apps and Gaming mainly.Nothing else.Harddrive now, over 50% empty ,kept only the basic programs i need  frequently,my work,some templates,others uninstall and keep setup,Registry and Disk defragmented.Its something about ser{vice and ill find out.

[Solution]:Always  have a registry backup of you OS(Operating System) and its Hardware(basic Drivers)  done with Junkware Removal Tool to restore using Hirens Boot CD MiniXp too boot up and simply run C:\RegBackup\ComputerDescription\Date\Dos_restore.cmd

Junkware Removal Tool
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/b19c7bdab0a44bb277ae5fc6555d12fe/5588165a/windows/security/security-utilities/j/junkware-removal-tool/JRT.exe

Hirens Boot CD
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip

PS,how to mark topic as solved,quite confusing as i cant change the topic title

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Computer Slow Boot Up
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 09:22:41 am »
You should be able to add "Solved" to the title.

As pointed out earlier JRT uses Shane's Registry Backup.

As a final point, I stll think you should check if prefetching is enabled.

Check the following....

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Name: EnablePrefetcher
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 3

If any different to above, I suggest starting a new thread.

Offline dondon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 01:25:44 pm »
Found out how,Rename first post subject and voila

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 03:46:05 am »
Hard drive, hard drive hard drive.

This is the bottle neck in the performance of every computer. The CPU does trillions of calculations and memory does GB/s and the hard drive comes limping along, not even close to catching up.

The normal old school drives have 3 platters that spin at either 5400 rpms or 7200 rpms. There is 1 arm that moves, reads and writes the data to the spinning platters.

When you start windows you have services, drivers, programs and all that loading up. The drive can only do 1 thing at a time, so everything must wait its turn, thus the drive queue. The more programs and such the slower the boot up of course, also as a drive gets older or is having trouble it slows down, making the system slower as well.

This is why SSD is nice right now. It opens that bottle neck far better. No moving parts, drives are up to 20X or more faster. I put a SSd drive in a old 9 year old xp machine and it went from a 7 min boot up to a 30 sec boot up (The old drive was 54oo rpm and it was dieing, painfully)

So while disabling things and making less need for the drive will always make things faster, remember that if nothing has changed and it is getting slower then that could be a sign something is up with the drive. But no matter what, if you are able, get an SSD. Ever since I went to them I cant stand running off my old standard drives lol

Shane

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 04:00:24 am »
This is why SSD is nice right now. It opens that bottle neck far better. No moving parts, drives are up to 20X or more faster. I put a SSd drive in a old 9 year old xp machine and it went from a 7 min boot up to a 30 sec boot up (The old drive was 54oo rpm and it was dieing, painfully)

As a comparison here is mine for a 1.2GHz Celeron with 512MB RAM (100MHz), 40GB IDE HDD, a real dinosaur of a machine, but you can see how quickly it boots with uneeded services and hardware disabled, faster than I thought, less than 23 seconds  :wink:

No SSD here, on a 14 year old machine  :wink:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 04:04:55 am »
That is the equivalent to finding a four leaf clover, you lucky s.o.b lol

Sometimes you get some cherry hardware, and if you have the need to use the drive to a min then you got a good boot.

Shane