Author Topic: Strange video problem  (Read 23334 times)

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
Strange video problem
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:22:26 pm »
I have a really strange problem viewing some videos on my laptop.  Most videos come up just fine but on a few websites they won't come up matter what I do.  I have the latest version of flash player installed as well as Java and directX 11.  I have no idea what I need to get the videos to work on the websites that they don't work on.  One of them that I have the problem consistently on its is one: http://www.ijreview.com/2015/06/347845-texas-just-suckerpunched-michelles-school-lunch-rules-bringing-back-one-students-favorite-food/?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=morning-newsletter&utm_medium=owned although there are some others.  I've even tried doing a reinstall of the operating system (Windows 7x64 Pro SP1) and it didn't make any difference. 

System specs are shown in the attached Speccy screen capture.

Any ideas are appreciated!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Strange video problem
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 03:12:13 am »
That video played fine for me in IE 11, although he can hardly lecture anyone on healthy eating - the size of him - probably too many Texas steaks :D

Not sure if this MS Fix it will do anything for you https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/video_freezes_or_crashes but have you tried another browser ?

Resetting IE to defaults or running it without add-ons may give an improvement or try the videos in Safe Mode with Networking or in a clean boot should something on your computer be causing a conflict.

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:38:51 am »
That video played fine for me in IE 11, although he can hardly lecture anyone on healthy eating - the size of him - probably too many Texas steaks :D

Not sure if this MS Fix it will do anything for you https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/video_freezes_or_crashes but have you tried another browser ?

Resetting IE to defaults or running it without add-ons may give An improvement or try the videos in Safe Mode with Networking or in a clean boot should something on your computer be causing a conflict.
They do open fine when I try them in Chrome on the same PC.  They don't work in safe mode with networking or with all add-ins disabled in the IE.  Something is preventing them from running in IE and since I have to use IE for a couple of other things I need to correct the problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:22:28 am »
Chrome has its own Flash Player and as it also doesn't work in Safe Mode with Networking then it isn't a 3rd party program that's causing the problem either and nails it down to IE.

When you try to view videos is there a blue No Entry symbol in the URL search box - you would get this when ActiveX Filtering is enabled which can block video content.

This can be disabled by clicking on the Tools cog/Safety and unchecking the ActiveX Filtering box.

If you don't have that, try an IE reset with all boxes checked.

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:35 am »
Chrome has its own Flash Player and as it also doesn't work in Safe Mode with Networking then it isn't a 3rd party program that's causing the problem either and nails it down to IE.

When you try to view videos is there a blue No Entry symbol in the URL search box - you would get this when ActiveX Filtering is enabled which can block video content.

This can be disabled by clicking on the Tools cog/Safety and unchecking the ActiveX Filtering box.

If you don't have that, try an IE reset with all boxes checked.
I don't get anything where a video should be on the websites that I can't see on.  I've reset everything several times in IE and have even gone so far as uninstalling IE 11 and reverting back to IE 8 that is part of windows 7.  It has to be something strange that's missing from the installation that I can't find.  Videos work fine on some websites including YouTube.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 09:54:38 am »
What exactly happens when you try to play videos from these sites ?

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:59:15 am »
What exactly happens when you try to play videos from these sites ?
when the site comes up there's just a big blank place with a video should be.  No placeholder no nothing.  The text and pictures come up fine.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 10:07:01 am »
I wonder if they are using Silverlight https://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

Edit - Give this a try - click on the Tools cog - Internet options and under the Advanced tab check the box for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.

Gotta go now but will be back later.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:13:10 am by Boggin »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 11:03:23 am »

Edit - Give this a try - click on the Tools cog - Internet options and under the Advanced tab check the box for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.

you beat me to it boggin was gonna say that as well.  :tongue:
Julian

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »

At least we are all thinking alike.  I have Silverlight installed and enabled and it didn't make any change.  I've also tried software rendering as well as both GPU's I have nothing makes any difference.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 03:37:46 pm »
I wonder if it could be worth playing with the hardware acceleration slider to see if that makes any difference.

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 03:41:48 pm »
I wonder if it could be worth playing with the hardware acceleration slider to see if that makes any difference.
?  I'm willing to try anything where would I find that?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 03:56:56 pm »
It's really more to do with easing the load on the CPU but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-acceleration-windows-7

IE can be a strange beast, but as I can view your example video okay in Win 7/IE 11 with pretty much default settings and you can view okay in Chrome - does that mean it's a Flash Player/Shockwave problem or what for some sites ?

Thinking out aloud :)

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 04:05:50 pm »
It's really more to do with easing the load on the CPU but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-acceleration-windows-7

IE can be a strange beast, but as I can view your example video okay in Win 7/IE 11 with pretty much default settings and you can view okay in Chrome - does that mean it's a Flash Player/Shockwave problem or what for some sites ?

Thinking out aloud :)
Following your outline thinking, I've already completely uninstalled Flash Player and Shockwave using their own installers and then reinstalled them.  That also had no effect.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 04:26:52 pm »
See what the sites are like with Firefox. https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/

In FF you will need to go to Adobe and install Flash Player but it doesn't use the ActiveX component that IE does, but I'm not sure how that would help eliminate the problem in IE if it's an ActiveX issue. - watch out for the McAfee check box.

There's been another Flash Player update released today.

I'm going to have to shoot off now as it's getting on for 12.30am here in the UK and I've got a busy day tomorrow.

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 04:42:44 pm »
Okay I installed Firefox and the video plays fine there.  Any idea what could be wrong with activeX or how that could be causing the problem?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 04:49:42 pm »
I don't have an answer to that, but just popped back to ask you to try IE in Compatibility Mode.

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 05:04:59 pm »
I don't have an answer to that, but just popped back to ask you to try IE in Compatibility Mode.
That was one of the first things I tried.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 05:08:49 am »
Hi, Did you uninstall the flash player by their uninstaller specifically from their site and reinstall. If so, the problem would be that their sites are using some other player other than flash.
                                      If you  do not have the latest active x, then also the problem occurs. i also had the problem and sorted out by downloading the adobe flash active x from their site. I will try to provide a link to that in my next post
Update:
https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:14:50 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 05:47:33 pm »
Hi, Did you uninstall the flash player by their uninstaller specifically from their site and reinstall. If so, the problem would be that their sites are using some other player other than flash.
                                      If you  do not have the latest active x, then also the problem occurs. i also had the problem and sorted out by downloading the adobe flash active x from their site. I will try to provide a link to that in my next post
Update:
https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
I did use the UnInstaller specifically from their site and the newest version of flash player.  I also downloaded the latest version of active X that you provided a link to.  Still the same problem.  Interestingly enough when I tried to install the newest version of active X from the EXE file it said I needed administrative privileged even though my user profile has administrative rights?  I ended up downloading and installing the newest version from the MSI file.  Unfortunately I still am having the same problem seeing the video.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 02:15:43 am »
Hi, But the link , is showing video for me. No problem. Which av you are using. If you use avast, there is a software updator tool, which would alert whether the softwares on your system are updated or not. Please let me know the version number you downloaded.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 02:37:52 am »
Hi,
            One more thing. please check whether "Enable Automatic Image Resizing” in the Advanced internet option is enabled. try

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 03:07:48 am »
Normally disabling the hardware acceleration does the trick, in this case it looks like you might have a security setting or something out of whack in IE, have you done a reset to IE yet? (The button on the advanced tab of internet options)

Shane

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 07:37:14 am »
Normally disabling the hardware acceleration does the trick, in this case it looks like you might have a security setting or something out of whack in IE, have you done a reset to IE yet? (The button on the advanced tab of internet options)

Shane
I've done a complete reset of IE several times as well as uninstalling all versions of IE back to the version that part of Windows 7 and continue to have the same problem.  It's a really strange problem to say the least.

Hope you have everything settled in your new home, it's always such a hassle to move!

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 12:05:35 pm »
I had some spare time this afternoon so I did some playing around.  The first thing I did was turn on the Guest account on my PC and tried playing the video there and it worked!  That meant somehow the problem was with my user profile.  I went ahead and renamed the Internet Explorer subdirectories under AppData local and roaming and rebooted.  After I did this the video played fine under my profile.  I then went ahead and deleted the directories I had renamed.  For some reason one or both of the Internet Explorer profiles under my account had become corrupted or otherwise damaged.  Everything is working perfectly now!