Author Topic: Catastrophic Failure (Ox80000FFFF) interfering with System Restore (SOLVED)  (Read 11476 times)

Offline InnesMiller

• View Profile
The name of the topic, is basically the problem. I've tried several fixes i've found on Google and to no avail. This is a problem that's occurred on all of my pc's! All Vista. I think the problems happened after I applied "speed up, startup" in a registry repair program. I won't name the program, because i'm not 100% sure if that's the cause. But, it sure seems like the case. Do any of you gurus have any idea how to repair this problem? I've tried the repair option a million times with Tweaking.com and to no avail. Tweaking.com, sure does speed up things, but this shadow copy problem, won't repair.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 07:29:28 am by InnesMiller »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Catastrophic Failure (Ox80000FFFF) interfering with System Restore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:38:06 pm »
These tune up programs should be avoided like the plague, or you should create a full external system image before running them.

These type of programs usually have an Undo option - does this one and have you tried it ?

Was this application sufficiently recent that your restore points would go back far enough to before you ran it ?

I assume you've ran this Fix it http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/windows-update-error-8000ffff as well as this one http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9767096

Offline InnesMiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 03:52:53 pm »
"These tune up programs should be avoided like the plague"  Unfortunately, i've found that out the hard way! I've tried those Fixit's and have had no luck. This is very frustrating!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 04:01:39 pm »
Have you checked the program for an Undo option or if using your restore points is applicable ?

Edit - I've been busy dealing with Windows Update errors recently that I was thinking this was a WU problem and not something else.

Can you run a command prompt as an admin by going Start - Run - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow

If it reports that it is unable to repair some files, at the next prompt enter (you may be able to copy & paste this cmd to the prompt) -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will put an icon onto the Desktop which when double clicked will open in Notepad.

If needed, can you copy & paste that into the reply box.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:23:21 pm by Boggin »

Offline InnesMiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »
"Have you checked the program for an Undo option or if using your restore points is applicable ?"   I have and no to both questions. The error code comes up, only when trying to create a restore point. There are no restore points, available. But, there is a problem with Windows Update, as it says "most recent check for updates- never", which isn't true. I just ran Windows Update, about an hour ago, but there were no updates available. But, just a few minutes ago, ran Windows Update again, and it said "most recent check for updates- never", still. Very strange.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 04:22:16 pm »
I've just edited my last post - have a look at that, but I've also come across this article and while lengthy, has a couple of fixes for some.

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_error_8000ffff_when_i_try_to_install_a_windows_vista_update.html

EDIT - I'm going to have to shove off now as it's 12.30am here in the UK and I have to be up earlyish in the morning.

Which version of Vista are you using and do you have any SP2 bootable install disks ?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:32:25 pm by Boggin »

Offline InnesMiller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 05:52:36 am »
I've ran scannow, chkdsk, and there's no problems. As far as versions, 2- Vista pros and 1- Vista home basic. All 3 are 32 bit. I don't have SP2 bootable disks. Should I go ahead and do that?

Offline InnesMiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 07:28:36 am »
Thanks a ton, Boggin. I found a fix! I used software I found here (see post #26, from JohnC_21) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565569/catastrophic-failure-0x8000ffff-when-trying-to-create-restore-point/page-2

that led to here- http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50010.aspx to re-register the VSS components. See "VSSfix" software for both 32 and 64 bit, at the bottom of the page. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Good find :)

You may need to wait until this month's Windows Updates to see if they are still working - and get rid of that tune up program :D

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
@InnesMiller:
- Did you run "Repair Volume Shadow Copy" ? I am surprised to see that that repair didn't fix your problem. Becasue it contains the same code as that Macrium fix.