Author Topic: Setting PROFILES File/Folder Permissions PROPERLY  (Read 7888 times)

Offline ttiihone

• View Profile
Setting PROFILES File/Folder Permissions PROPERLY
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:35:00 am »
Hi there! And THANK YOU for a great tool, and unselfish attitude about distributing it freely. I really - I mean REALLY - WILL purchase the PRO version after this tool gets perfect ;)

So, I have a serious problem about setting files/folders permissions & owners throughout my Windows 7 environment in USERS PROFILES directories;;

You see; I have my USERS PROFILES directories on drive D instead of the drive C, where Windows 7 is installed. I have used this profile relocator tool in order to deliberately have my User Profiles on my faster RAID0-hard drive set. OK, I don't want to talk about the reasons one minute longer; I just have a good reason for this and that's it ;)

So as I have pretty much screwed up the NTFS permissions for the D:\Users directory + subdirectories (I once messed that up while drinking Alcohol so... yeah..) and when running this SET DEFAULT FILES/FOLDERS PERMISSIONS operation, it completely messes up with my Users-profiles directory and subdirs' permissions and Ownerships, since it doesn't "see" that my Users Profiles actually are located on drive D.

So even if my case must be really a rare and special one, I still would expect this tool to utilize these system variables etc. in order to access USER PROFILES folders, and NOT just assume that they "of course" must be on the drive C.

Currently all the system profiles get "un-system'ed" and they become visible + there must be all kinds of false settings (at least not optimized) on the User Profile directories.

Moreover, I'm not sure if this tool recognizes (when profiles reside on drive C) all the special User Profiles directories - also those which are present in Win 7 for backwards compatibility. Meaning these "all users", "default user" etc. etc. and those naturally should be possible to be set properly also on - in my case - to the profile dirs on my drive D.

Anyway, the bottom-line is that I really hate having my Users Profiles dirs system files/folders + all the rests' permissions and ownerships screwed up. I have tried to lurk from another Win 7 machine about all the permissions but frankly that's SOOO INHUMAN project that I'll never get it right manually. So I would really love the feature of settings the default permissions for User dirs/files/profiles when they reside on behind another drive letter instead of C.

Otherwise this tool is pretty damn magnificent. A huuuuuge thank You for it!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Setting PROFILES File/Folder Permissions PROPERLY
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:29:39 am »
Actually the program does look at the profile path on the system and changes the path in the defaults to point to the profile path that the system returns to it.

BUT the problem is that when you run the permissions on the C: drive everything gets set to defaults even the profiles on D: get set. But then it goes on to do the D: drive after, and it doesnt look for that info it treats it as a normal drive, thus over doing what was done when ran on before.

So if you run the permissions repair again but make sure to only have C: checked and no other drives you should see the default permissions work like it should.

So what I need to do is put in some handling in there, to where when it does the other drives it auto excludes the profile path, that way it doesn't undo what was done, or better yet I have it exclude the profile paths all together and then once all drives are done it runs the profile permissions last :-)

I will play with it and come up with something. I just put out v3.4.1 so it wont be in this update, but the changes shouldnt be hard to do, i will get them done today and they will be in next weeks update.

Shane

Offline ttiihone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:35:37 am »
Thank You, Shane!

Thanks for the explanation - I will try that right after this :) So great that the correction was so simple, but yes, I think You are right that it could be modified so that there will be no confusion like in my case :)

Thank You!

PS. Waiting for the replies for my other posts also ;)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:58:11 am »
PS. Waiting for the replies for my other posts also

Going through answering all the post since I went to bed, thats over 40 of them lol

Shane

Offline ttiihone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:41:53 pm »
PS. Waiting for the replies for my other posts also

Going through answering all the post since I went to bed, thats over 40 of them lol

Shane

OK :)

Hey Shane, I started re-wondering about this system that I have in context of the files/folders rights etc. You see, I have ALSO "program files" (both x86 and x64) and "programdata" (and possibly some other hidden stuff also..) on drive D so are those NTFS rights set properly also?

Just wondering since I saw the script setting permissions on drive C on those folders, but couldn't see it setting those on drive D. I don't have set default installation disk to D since there are some SW that I have on C also, so I just thought that would it be right to check those folders if they do exist on other partitions/disks also?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:49:43 pm »
Yes, when you run the permissions on C: the program extracts the default permissions for 7, 8 and 10 and then replaces the paths of each of them with the ones reported on the system.

So dont do the other drives and only do the C: drive.

When i did the permissions a long time ago I didnt have it do a lot of what it does now, thats why it just shows the drives. I need to add some better handling in there and have it work better when people move major folders to other drives :-)

Shane

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:27:12 pm »
Yes, when you run the permissions on C: the program extracts the default permissions for 7, 8 and 10 and then replaces the paths of each of them with the ones reported on the system.

So dont do the other drives and only do the C: drive.

When i did the permissions a long time ago I didnt have it do a lot of what it does now, thats why it just shows the drives. I need to add some better handling in there and have it work better when people move major folders to other drives :-)

Shane
hmm would major folders be like redirecting default install path of programs using regedit?
Julian