Author Topic: Windows Repair Will Not Start The Repairs  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Syko

• View Profile
Windows Repair Will Not Start The Repairs
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:24:01 pm »
Hi there, I have machine running Win7 Ultimate 64 and I've had a lot of trouble with it lately, no matter what I did it got worse until I ended up having to reinstall Windows. I came across your Website and programs whilst trying initially to repair it but unfortunately had no luck. Post reinstallation I still have issues so thought I'd try Windows Repair again but now I can't get past the "Repair" process. It goes for 30 seconds then stops and tries again and just continues to repeat that process. I've attached the logs and would appreciate any assistance you can provide. You may require more info, if so I will try and supply whatever you need. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair Will Not Start The Repairs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »
Did you make sure to run the repairs in Windows safe mode? A lot of 3rd party programs get in the way of it and mess it up. :wink:

Shane

Offline Syko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:17:06 pm »
Yes I've run in safe mode, I have followed you're instructions exactly, plenty of times now! I have run SFC several times and get a very large logfile with some problems not repaired, but it's really to big to read! I have attached it for your viewing pleasure...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:34:50 am »
The first repair command that is ran is ran as the system account. To do that my program runs a exe from the files folder that creates a service and then starts the repair. Something is keeping it from making that service and so it isnt running.

Have you tried in normal mode and made sure to disable all the programs you can and see if it has any luck there?

Shane

Offline Syko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:46:05 am »
Something is stopping lots of things from running! It seems to be something to do with permissions, I can't install some programs, including , funnily enough, Permissions Analyser by Solarwinds and I had hoped it was going to be the first thing Windows Repair, repaired...Last week the strangest thing happened, Internet Explorer and 25-30 URL and program shortcuts disappeared off my desktop! I have no idea what happened there and search results although finding similar incidents were on machines with different issues to mine. Is there a way I could manually reset the permissions to default as your program does? (I assume). I have run most of the top Anti-virus and Rootkit programs off Bleeping Computer and nothing has shown up, have just run Hijack This and nothing major there either. On trying to uninstall Windows Live Mail, I receive the message "Error getting file security: C: Program Files (x86)\ GetLastError: 5. I have no idea what that's all about! I'll leave you with that for now but if you have more questions or need more info I will endeavour to provide. Just to let you know, I'm on the other side of the planet in New Zealand, luckily I'm a night-owl it's 3.45am here...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:40:23 pm »
I updated windows repair to v3.4.2 and redid how the permissions are done, you can see if it helps.

Have you also ran scans to make sure the system is clean as well?

Shane

Offline Syko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 02:08:33 pm »
As much as I enjoy the challenge of finding and repairing faults in my PC and others I've decided the only way out of this situation is to back-up, format and reinstall Windows. Hopefully I won't reintroduce the problem when transferring my personal data back! Cheers, Syko.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 01:06:23 am »
Understandable. Dont blame you, took me 5 days to reply because I did my 4 day, no sleep, non stop coding binge to get the update done lol

Sometimes a format and reinstall is the best route :-)

Shane