Author Topic: [Solved]Windows 7 corrupted after installing backup  (Read 26772 times)

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
[Solved]Windows 7 corrupted after installing backup
« on: October 09, 2015, 04:36:05 pm »
I am trying to fix my daughters laptop. The hard drive was going bad so she backed it up onto 3 CD's, then changed the hard drive and then installed the backup from the 3 CD's.

It didn't install properly or it didn't back up properly to begin with. So the computer works and is usable for the most part but it does have some issues. Mainly the Window Update no longer works at all. There are things that don't work because I am sure it needs patches and fixes.

I finally got into Microsoft support and 2 different times they remoted in and tried many things to fix it but could not. Is there any way to download a copy of the Windows 7 Home Premium from somewhere and just start over? I don't need to save anything and I do have the product key
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:24:27 am by jmk909er »
Joe K
Learn by Trial and Error (Lots of Error)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 corrupted after installing backup
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:29:58 am »
If the machine is an OEM one and came with Win 7 preinstalled then a Win 7 ISO cannot be activated with the COA sticker or the vendor's generic key.

It would take a valid retail key to activate a Win 7 ISO and MS are no longer selling Win 7 anything, but if you have a valid retail key then you can enter it into https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7 and it is accepted, may still provide you with the version download for your key.

You can then use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool to create a bootable USB or DVD from the saved download, depending upon what the computer supports to boot from before the HDD.

If your key isn't a valid retail key then there's two other ways you could go about this and one is to contact the computer vendor and purchase a set of OEM Recovery disks to factory reset with, or I can burn and send you a couple of Win 7 SP1 ISO disks to perform an offboot sfc /scannow so that the volume would be checked against the incorrupt source from the disk.

However, if the machine had a recovery partition and that is still intact then you may still be able to create your own set of Recovery disks.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:42:17 am by Boggin »

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:22:45 am »
Thank Boggin, I tried the first link and it didn't work. Then I contacted Sony and they gave me a number to call on Monday to get a new one. They said it could be $50-100  :sad:

My key is the one that came with the laptop when it was new.

About the recovery partition you mentioned...is it possible that it is intact with the backup? Can I try to do a factory reset and maybe it would work?

I have something else I want to run by you...I have another laptop that also runs Windows 7 and I do have a good system backup of it on a thumbdrive. Do I have any options with this?
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:38:05 am »
I bought OEM Recovery media for each of my two Toshiba Win 7 laptops.

For the older one, that came on a single disk which cost the equivalent of about $45 and for the newer one - that came on a 16GB USB which cost the equivalent of about $60 which may have accounted for the increased price.

If you are able to create your own Recovery disks then it would be prudent to also create a Win 7 Repair disk and full external system image should the Recovery partition be corrupt as well and then at least you would still be able to restore to a part working machine.

This would also apply if you tried the factory reset from within the machine as it could baulk.

You wouldn't be able to use Recovery disks or any image from another OEM machine as OEM installs are not transferable as they are tied to the motherboard of the original machine they were installed on.

This would apply even if the machines were by the same vendor.

Depending upon how much corruption there is on this machine, you could give the Windows Repair a couple of runs to see if it can put it back together, but it won't be a problem for me to send you a couple of Win 7 SP1 ISO disks if you want to try the offboot sfc /scannow.

Just PM me your address and if it's for a 32 or 64 bit system if you are interested.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:47:38 am »
Just as an Edit to my last post, if the machines were the same make and model and they had the same short model number, then you could use the Recovery disks from that machine, as it's that number which determines which set of Recovery disks the vendor would send you.

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 07:42:37 am »
Thanks Boggin I have some new information to share about this. I have been asking my daughter to find the original discs that she made the backups from (a few months ago) and she found then and brought them to the house. I said originally that she backed up to 3 CD's and this is incorrect, it took 12 CD's! And she also made a repair disc at the time.

Based on this new information how do you think I should proceed?
Run the repair disc?
Do a factory restore with whats on the laptop already?
Try to install all 12 discs again?
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:32:54 am »
I would go with the 12 disks, but anything added after that back up was done, which I assume was a system image, then that will be lost.

So what disks did you use originally ?

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 08:47:37 am »
The 12 cd's that I have is the backup my daughter made before changing the hard drive. The hard drive was on its way out when she made the backups so I don't know the integrity of the discs. Is it possible that when she reinstalled the discs that the original back up partition is in tact and maybe I should try doing a factory reset???

If I try and reinstall the discs what is the procedure? Do I need to make it boot from cd?
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 08:58:57 am »
Go Start - Control Panel - Back up your computer - Restore system settings on your computer - Advanced recovery methods and then click Use system image you created earlier then follow the prompts from there.

You may be prompted to stick the last disk in, but Windows will guide you from there.

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 09:01:08 am »
Thanks Boggin, I will do it. I am leaving for church in a few minutes and won't be able to trying probably until this evening but I will get back to you. Thanks for all your amazing help!  :wink:
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 09:24:40 am »
With 12 disks to restore from, it won't be a quick process.

When I create my system images, I also include the D: Recovery drive - or at least I used to before removing it :) but on some machines it is hidden, so don't know if you would get the option to include that drive with the image where that is the case.

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 09:56:12 am »
Hi Boggin, I reinstalled the discs to to laptop. It only took 10 of the 12 discs and then said it was done and restart. So I did but it is just like it was. the windows update does not work and I don't really know what else still is corrupted.

What should I try next? Should I try a factory reset?
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 01:39:32 pm »
That does sound strange.

Can you go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

As it's a new HDD then it should be okay but another member has recently found there to be 8 KB in bad sectors on a new HDD and that is due for a RMA.

Depending upon what the sfc reports, I think you should still run the WR program as its pre-scan can pick up the cause of update failure.

If you have some DVDs then create a new full system image before running WR and include the Recovery drive if it allows you to.

It's difficult to know what it didn't load or think it didn't need from the last two disks.

When I used to create my images onto DVDs and include the D: Recovery drive, it used to take a couple of extra disks, so not sure if the recovery partition has been restored on your computer so I would be hesitant in advising trying the factory reset.

When you put the first disk in for the start of the restore, were you prompted to insert the last disk ?

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 01:48:53 pm »
Hi Bogging I am attempting it again and am up to disc 8 currently. I will follow up with your new guidance if it fails again.

What is WR Program? and also RMA?

Sorry you are talking a little over my head...I will report back in a bit. Thanks.
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 02:08:05 pm »
WR is the Windows Repair program on here and RMA is Return Manufacturer's Authorisation.

It's the instructions they issue to confirm their acceptance of returning goods and how it will be collected or if you are responsible for the return postage.

I think one of the pre-requisites of the WR program is a chkdsk /r which checks the OS for errors as well as for any bad sectors.

A sfc /scannow can report files it is unable to repair while a following chkdsk /r can report no problems.

If you run the sfc /scannow and it reports files it is unable to repair then enter this command -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place an icon onto the Desktop which will open the CBS log in Notepad which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 03:58:53 pm »
Hey boggin I just ran through the recover discs and it took all 12 but it did not fix anything. I am in the process of running sfc/scsnnow but I want to ask this...This is sucking up way too much of my time, can I just go out and buy and new copy of windows 7 and install new to be done with it? I can get one for around $100
Joe K

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 04:29:15 pm »
I ran sfc/scannow and there is some corruption. I also tried to run the code to get it in a text file but it didn't work but I made a screenshot of it-attached
Joe K

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 04:44:12 pm »
I got the log file to work-attached
Joe K

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 06:59:39 pm »
Sorry here is the log populated
Joe K

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 08:46:29 am »
Hi Boggin have you had a chance to look at the log? Just wondering if the hard drive looks OK then I will just go out and buy a new copy of Windows 7 and be done with it.

I can buy recovery discs from Sony but they are around $60, I can but a new copy of windows 7 for just a little more.
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 09:18:53 am »
It looks like I'm not getting the e-mail notifications again...

My eyes were blurring over trying to read the full CBS log you have posted.

Try this again, but after findstr put a space before /c:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

In some forums you can copy & paste a cmd to help prevent typos but this one doesn't, so it's long hand.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 09:20:05 am »
Joe, have you tried run 360?

I find it most useful

http://www.360totalsecurity.com/

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 09:33:16 am »
OK I finally got it to work see attached
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 09:35:49 am »
While newness is no guarantee of serviceability, you would need to run a chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors on the HDD.

To view its report go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When Event Viewer has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on Application/Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and then press enter.

Cancel the Find box and then you can read the full report in the scrollable window.

Other than a report on the status of the volume, look to see if there are any KBs in bad sectors.

Microsoft are no longer selling anything Win 7 related so you will have to go for the OEM Recovery disks and that would be my first choice as it will have all of the drivers in it, unlike a Win 7 install disk.

You will need to back up your daughter's personal stuff which is separate from the OS and if she has any paid for programs, ensure you have the product keys for those.

With what you will save on not buying a Win 7 install disk, you could put that towards an external HDD which is better for backing up stuff onto as well as creating system images.

There's one thing to remember though with using an external disk for system images and that it will overwrite previous system images and you have to boot up with a Win 7 Repair disk to use the one I made earlier option.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 09:38:02 am »
That CBS log has come up clean - can you run another sfc /scannow to see what it reports now.

It looks like the last bit is missing from the CBS Log.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:40:35 am by Boggin »