Author Topic: [SOLVED] Cannot Create Restore Point, Windows 7  (Read 11760 times)

Offline general714

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Cannot Create Restore Point, Windows 7
« on: October 24, 2015, 02:15:54 am »
Hi,

Following installation and removal of Acronis True Image 2016, I can no longer create a restore point. It hangs and comes up with:

The program SystemPropertiesProtection.exe version 6.1.7600.16385 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 159c
 Start Time: 01d10e36a0f732f4
 Termination Time: 1
 Application Path: C:\Windows\system32\SystemPropertiesProtection.exe
 Report Id:

and

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{3bad56c6-b146-11e4-814b-806e6f6e6963} - 0000000000000160,0x0053c008,000000000042B540,0,000000000042E660,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80070079, The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Operation:
   Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
   Execution Context: System Provider

In Device Manager, under Generic volume shadow copy Properties, I get:  Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19).

I've tried the Tweaking.com repair tool to repair VSS without success. Any ideas? I have Windows 7 Ultimate. Do let me know what info you need to provide assistance.

Been searching for about a week now without success...  :sad:

Thanks so much for your help!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:21:08 am by general714 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Create Restore Point, Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:10:41 am »
I would have thought the repair program would have fixed this unless it is being caused by remnants of Acronis depending upon how you uninstalled it, as just using Windows Uninstall usually leaves registry residue.

You could use the Clean up utility and then see if you can create restore points, or boot up into the Advanced Boot options, select Repair your Computer then navigate to the Recovery Environment and select the Restore from there to see if the VSS works to restore to prior the Acronis install.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/48668

Offline general714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 04:16:21 am »
Thanks. Yes, already used the Acronis cleanup utility. No joy.

At this stage, I'm planning to do a repair install of W7 and hope for the best. I managed to do a full back up of my system using Symantec (basically Norton Ghost 15) using their recovery disk so at least I can restore if it all goes bad. This took a back up without using VSS - took 15 hours or something but backed up all three hard disks.

Will let you know how it goes...

Cheers.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:23:25 pm »
Interesting, I was just browsing the thread, then checked my restore;

It was ENABLED; How interesting is that?
but then when clicking on the function, WELL, look at the message I got?
How interesting is that?

Checked the functions to setup restore points is enabled but disabled!
When I click on restore, get the old message no restore points...

One, where are they kept?

if we right click on them, can we force a repair?

A backup vault needs to be created; would be a GREAT addition to the repair program Shane...
The Vault would over ride the current restore system in the event of normal system failure :)
would only be run from your program!

In addition, could run in a safe environment, and or your own repair DVD disk :)

regards
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:46:24 pm by Rick »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 01:21:18 am »
@ Rick - You'll need to open your own thread for this rather than hijack someone else's - but I'd start with an anti-malware scan with a robust scanner like ESET Free Online Scanner as I'd advised in your Facebook problem thread.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:45:52 am by Boggin »

Offline general714

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Re: Cannot Create Restore Point, Windows 7
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 03:20:41 am »
Hi - resolved via a Repair Install. Took maybe 12 hours (!) but perfect now! Funny that the repair tool didn't do it but I'm very pleased indeed.

Moral of the story - stay far, far away from Acronis. Dumb systems such as Ghost/Symantec work fine. Ideally I'd like a more robust image-based backup system as sometimes Symantec (System Recovery 2013) fails, but there you go...any ideas?

Cheers!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Cannot Create Restore Point, Windows 7
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 03:38:49 am »
There's someone else who has recently posted about VSS service problems after installing/uninstalling Acronis and has had to resort to a repair install of his Win 7.

Perhaps others Googling for info on Acronis will see these threads if Google's spider picks them up and they will leave Acronis alone.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 10:11:18 pm »
@ Rick - You'll need to open your own thread for this rather than hijack someone else's - but I'd start with an anti-malware scan with a robust scanner like ESET Free Online Scanner as I'd advised in your Facebook problem thread.

Dear Boggin, often speaking about the same topic over n over?
 why we need open a new thread for the same problems?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Cannot Create Restore Point, Windows 7
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 12:34:20 am »
Firstly because it isn't ethical and secondly, what steps may apply to one poster may not apply to another and when you get back responses from different people it's difficult to keep track of what is happening to each.

With any forum it has always been one thread - one poster because of this.