Author Topic: SFC errors after installing TH2  (Read 7537 times)

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
SFC errors after installing TH2
« on: November 15, 2015, 01:29:46 pm »
After I installed TH2 on Thursday I decided to run a SFC check to see if I had errors and it came up with some that it said it couldn't correct. The assembly look at the attached file and tell me what I need to do.

Thanks
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SFC errors after installing TH2
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 02:01:27 am »
If you have system restore enabled in Win 10 then you could revert to prior TH2 to see if sfc /scannow still reports that it is unable to fix some files, or had you already run sfc /scannow prior and that came up clean - although I haven't come across any serious issues reported after TH2 other than http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/14/microsoft-windows-10-threshold-2-problems/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

System Restore is disabled by default in Win 10 and you can check/enable it http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955023/windows/how-to-turn-on-system-restore-in-windows-10-to-protect-against-bad-updates.html

Can you enter the following command in a Command Prompt (Admin) and that will put an icon onto the Desktop that will open the CBS log in Notepad.

This is a much simpler form of the CBS log and a lot easier to read where it just displays what it could and couldn't repair.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

Alternately you could run SFCFix.exe which is a 3rd party program and gives a more concise report which you can post.

http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe - this is an active link to run the program which you can run or save to Desktop and run it from there.

Depending upon what SFCFix.exe says it can and can't fix, you may want to run these cmds from Cmd Prompt (Admin)

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (this one can hang at 20% but does eventually complete)

And then run another sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:29:42 am by Boggin »

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:25:13 am »
Thanks for the ideas, I ran SFC before the TH2 installation and it didn't find any errors.  Compared to what I found after the installation.  I also tried going back to my system image before the installation and again it showed clear of any errors.  I reinstalled TH2 and still get errors that can't be fixed.

When I run: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt with a admin Command Prompt it comes back and tells me that it can't find the path specified?

I then ran SFCFix.exe and it came back saying it didn't find any problems (a copy of results is attached) but a regular SFC ran after that but it still had errors that couldn't repair.

After that I ran the other 2 command strings you suggested.  The 1st one ran fine and didn't find any errors but the 2nd one came back and said that the source files couldn't be found?

Any ideas what I should try next?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 02:48:46 pm »
That's a bit more involved using a cmd to point to a Win 10 mounted ISO, but as these errors follow TH2, it's doubtful the current ISO to download will include TH2 - it could be like trying to do a repair install on Win 7 SP1 with an install disk that doesn't include SP1.

As these errors are proven to be a direct result of TH2 then you should contact MS and report them.

After having another look for errors after TH2, I've found you are not alone with sfc errors, but as usual, nothing on Google showing anything from MS yet.

http://wind8apps.com/windows-10-fall-update-version-1511-issues/

From what I've seen, sfc has reported different types of errors which may be machine specific and perhaps would not have shown up when this update was trialled by those still on the Insider Fast Ring, where this update had been running for about a month before its general release.

Depending upon what MS say and if TH2 has an impact on your machine, then I would restore to before its install and wait for MS to patch this patch.

Offline MSRadell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:14:14 pm »
Actually I know that I have the current TH2 iso because that's what I use to install it on the PC.  Everything actually seems to be working fine except for the year I get what running SFC so I guess I'll just keep poking around until I figured out or have problems.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 04:59:00 pm »
In that case, lower down in this article will help you to resolve the cannot find source file error, but as far as I knew, TH2 was a separate download to the Win 10 upgrade, or have you just upgraded after its release ?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 01:51:26 am »
After a bit more digging around, yours seems to be a known problem when Nvidia graphics are used following a new build, which could also explain the duplicate ownership of files if both Nvidia and MS has claims on them - that is if you do have Nvidia graphics, but you can probably ignore them.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/891671/?comment=4730455