Author Topic: unable to delete 5.5 Gb .mts file. Explorer crashes when I right click this file  (Read 13403 times)

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
W 8.1
Odd issue here, am unable to delete 5.5 Gb .mts file. Explorer crashes when I right click this file. I can delete the other files in this folder. I ran shexview-x64 and disabled most of the context handles & ran the tweaking repair tool fully twice. Tried to delete in safe mode, no joy. I notice the green bar never fully completes. Also unable to rename the file. Thoughts..

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can you take ownership of it ?

Is this something you've downloaded for iPlayer and has a shelf life ?

Not sure if Disk Cleanup in Extended mode would pick out this or similar extender files but you could give it a go -

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-run-disk-cleanup-directly-in-the-system-files-mode-and-speed-it-up/

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
Good afternoon, Its a movie I recorded off air on BBC. The file name gives the date & time of the tx and it plays fine. (Pot player). The only difference I see is the naming protocol & size. When the cursor highlights the file, I get "not responding" and explorer reloads to good state. The failure of the "green bar" to complete its passage might indicate something relevant?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but when my broadband speed wasn't up to iPlayer live downloads, I had to download desktop iPlayer and then the program.

These I think created a folder of their own - not sure now if it was in Videos or Pictures (Win 7) but they could be deleted from there by right clicking on them.

If they are there, then you can still right click on them - select Properties and see what Permissions there were under the Security tab if you are still unable to delete.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
No, not quite the same thing. Movie recorded off air on a pvr then copied to my laptop, not streamed or downloaded, I player not on my system.I cant access the file to do anything, thats properties, rename delete etc on right click.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How long is it since you copied it ?

Not sure if restore points would remove it ?

Does Event Viewer have anything recorded for when you tried right clicking it before - you could try again to create another error.

There are 3rd party uninstaller programs that you could try if all else fails, but there must be a conflict somewhere for it to crash Explorer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:46:25 am by Boggin »

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
Could I try in DOS ? F8 on startup and select command prompt. I dont know the syntax though.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This article will give an example of that, but you may not need to do it in Safe Mode -

http://www.wikihow.com/Delete-a-File-Using-Command-Prompt

Here are some other methods http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000743.htm#02  but if the file is read only then you would have to use this cmd - http://www.techverse.net/force-delete-file-folder-command-prompt-windows/

You could also try Unlocker but if Explorer crashes as soon as you right click this file then this may not work, or does it just crash when you select Delete -

http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
W 8.1. Once the file is highlighted, explorer locks & then restarts.
The path to the file is
"This PC Videos j BBC_Two_HD-05152016-2333.mts"
What is the full comand line to delete it?

A minor devolopment, after 15 min, a delete box has poped up with the file. It reads 0% complete and is not progressing. Task manager status flags Windows Explorer as not responding yet its Disc activity hops about between 2 & 4 MBs. So something is happning under the hood! In my innocence I observe and wait. Thanks for the links Boggin.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:49:06 am by mrwoof »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
May be best to try it in Safe Mode then.

In answer to your first question, after doing this - http://ccm.net/faq/34369-windows-8-1-how-to-copy-the-full-path-of-a-folder-or-file-to-the-clipboard perhaps you could copy & paste the path from the clipboard to the cmd line then back space to add the del part of the cmd.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
Your guide led me to the following:
In the Windows explorer window where you can see the file, hold shift and right click on the white space. The context menu should now have an option for "command prompt from here", select this then close the explorer window. In the command prompt window type delete filename.xyz and it should now successfully delete.

Of course it took me another 10 min to realize that the "delete" should have read "del"!
Am happy to report sucess though it took some 50" for the cmd to execute. Anyway now the proud owner of the "Pro" repair tool.
thanks for your time and patience.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I wasn't aware I'd linked you to a Pro tool as I always go for the freebie option when there is one - which is most of the time.

However, glad that something finally worked :)

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
I was refering to buying a licence for the Tweaking repair tool. Happy to support.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ah, good - that's why I also bought the Pro version.

Offline haval1976

• View Profile
Go in safe mode and easy delete it.

Offline fabrikator

• View Profile
Here's what you need to get rid of your monster file. It's called remove on Reboot. Just install it and it will show up in your context menu. Right click your file, click "remove on reboot" THEN REBOOT . Your file should be gone when you come back up