Author Topic: third party disk defrag's  (Read 17136 times)

Offline chris635

• View Profile
third party disk defrag's
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:42:28 pm »
Hey Shane
    What is your opinion on third party disk defragmenter's (I've been using Diskeeper)? Are these a waste of money?

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: third party disk defrag's
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:57 am »
I have always just used the built in defrag. :wink:

This free one is pretty popular
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Shane

Offline umpio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:04:36 am »

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:41:19 am »
Umpio

Does Mydefrag wipe out restore points?

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline umpio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:41:27 am »
Yes,

sometimes it may do that like other defragmenters. Here is more detailed description on MyDefrag's FAQ:  http://www.mydefrag.com/FAQUsing-WhyDoIHaveMoreDiskspaceAfterRunningMyDefrag.html

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:14:33 pm »
I installed it (the monthly optimize) and it does purge system restore, I just created a new one. It seems to do a pretty good job. I'll keep it for now. Thanks for turning me on to this  :wink:

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »
Pretty hard for me trusting a software completely abandoned for 2 years.
By the way, I use Auslogics Disk Defrag (free):
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/#features
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:39:23 pm by neroilo »

Offline umpio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:39:50 am »
Pretty hard for me trusting a software completely abandoned for 2 years.
By the way, I use Auslogics Disk Defrag (free):
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/#features
Trust?  :o Why wouldn't you?

I've never seen such a well documented program as MyDefrag. Everything what it does and how it does are all documented, and told openly to users. There are no advertising speeches, like "this is the best ever defragmenter in the world" and "it makes your system 600% faster!" This is just how I pick the programs which to trust, the amount of documentation and advertising. No fooling of users.

I installed it (the monthly optimize) and it does purge system restore, I just created a new one. It seems to do a pretty good job. I'll keep it for now. Thanks for turning me on to this  ;)

Chris
Glad you liked it! MyDefrag is highly customizable. You could automate the new restore point creation with a .vbs script and use the RunProgram setting at the end of the script, bit too technical though! :)

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 11:49:31 am »
Everything what it does and how it does are all documented, and told openly to users. There are no advertising speeches, like "this is the best ever defragmenter in the world" and "it makes your system 600% faster!" This is just how I pick the programs which to trust, the amount of documentation and advertising. No fooling of users.

Ok, but it isn't more active and if I post there I'm pretty sure to not receive answer for any potential conflict. I don't use abandoned software.

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 01:16:49 pm »
Neroilo does have a good point, however I am using an old gateway laptop with vista 32 bit with an install disk, if I break it I don't mind reloading vista. I use the laptop for screwing around anyway, so I don't mind using it on this. I would not use it on my desk top though. My desk top is windows 7 and I do prefer to keep up to date software on that one. So I say it depends on your preferences depending on what you don't mind breaking and what you do. Would Mydefrag work fine on my desk top..sure it would, but I'm using diskeeper on that one, and I love it.

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline umpio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:34:52 am »
If you are afraid of conflicts or other possible problems, see: How safe is MyDefrag? It remains as safe as it is now, until Microsoft changes the Windows Defragmentation API so that it will become incompatible. It has also been tested by the community,  including me, on windows 8 and it has been confirmed fully functioning.

As what it comes to the support of free product, the developer's latest answer is from 21th of this August. He hasn't abandoned the forums, and there are still active forum members helping each other, even though the forums are under spam bots. It is very sad that there hasn't been any updates or new features, nor confirmation if he will continue developing it further, but nothing stops from using the fully functioning program. It is not food that gets bad after a certain date!  ;D

I simply haven't found any alternatives to MyDefrag. It is that good and unique disk defragmenter. I once used a commercial one called Ultimate Defrag. It was close to MyDefrag but its features were very restricted, and it had many problems and bugs and no support at all. It had new update just lately, it was very easy to know this after the ten email update offers. The new version only came with some minor GUI changes plus renamed functions, and with the same bugs. It was very unpleasant experience with a commercial product for me.

If you are interested comparing the defragmenters, look this very well detailed test: The Big XP Defragmenter Test I like the conclusion of it, even the standard windows defragmenter functions quite well and in some situations is enough to be used.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:50:20 am by umpio »