Author Topic: Superfetch service missing.  (Read 15086 times)

Offline ohgee

• View Profile
Superfetch service missing.
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:09:23 pm »
Hi Everyone.

Whenever I start up my Win7 Pro computer all of the icons come up.  If I click on any one of them
the computer freezes.  I've learned that after that happens, and if I leave it alone in that state, the
computer will unfreeze itself after several hours, and I can continue working.  No other functional
problems occur.

Investigating the above has led me look into the 'Superfetch' service, which is designed to speed
up app. launching by preloading the apps.  In looking at its properties I get the following error message:

"Windows could not start the Superfetch service on Local Computer"
                                       "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified"

I tried to find a fresh copy of the service to download, but couldn't find any.  Reloading Win7 Pro also did
not correct the problem.  Because of this problem I try to leave my computer on whenever possible.

Your help will certainly be appreciated, and will go towards keeping whatever hair is left on my head.
Thank you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Superfetch service missing.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:19:45 pm »
I would have thought that reinstalling Win 7 would have resolved that.

Prior to the reinstall, your restore points may have helped - but see if downloading the SuperFetch service from this site will resolve -

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/236709-services-restore-default-services-windows-7-a.html

It may be worth book marking this site should you need it in future.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:45:01 pm »
- Do you have a file called "Sysmain.dll" on your system ?

Offline ohgee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 07:36:33 am »
Hi Boggin,

Thanks for the site.  I downloaded and went through all the motions to install the Superfetch file.
The result was no change at all (computer freeze), and I get the same error message.  This is the
reason it took me all this time to reply to you.  Does 're-starting' disable 'Superfetch'?

If I click on 'Superfetch' properties its window shows the following:
        Service Name:  SysMain.dll.
       Service Status:  Stopped.  If I click on its 'Start' button I get the same error window as before.
Path to Executable:  C>Windows>System 32>svchost.exe -k Local System Network Restricted.

I looked up the svchost file but could not find the -k flag.  I could also not determine what  "Local
System Network Restricted" meant.

Hi Willy 2,

Yes, I do have 'SysMain.dll'.  It's listed in System32.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:07 am »
Is there any improvement when you select SuperFetch/Properties and use the dropdown to set it as Disabled and a reboot ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:29:31 am »
I've been looking into the Dependencies of SuperFetch and the File Info FS Minifilter could be causing problems but also if FltMgr isn't loading properly which could be causing the freezes.

I've come across this article which would appear to fix both - http://servicedefaults.com/7/fileinfo/

Use the dropdown to select your Windows version, but create a restore point first.

I think I would start with the FltMgr first which you can access by the FltMgr hyperlink in the article - creating a restore point before running each.

At a command prompt run as an administrator, enter regsvr32 sysmain.dll and if it is already loaded then you should get an error message to that effect - then I would try those steps in the article.

Offline ohgee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 07:02:03 am »
I followed your suggestions, and they didn't correct the problem.  I had to leave the computer running
overnight in order for it to unfreeze itself.

I certainly appreciate your going all out to help solve the problem.  I'm clutching at straws, and will give
you any additional info that may help, as follows:

Offline ohgee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 07:24:52 am »
1-  After the computer unfreezes an error message comes up- "C\Win\System32\Compmgmt.msc; This
     operation returned because the timeout period expired."
2-  In the startup, between the screens that say "Starting Windows" and "Welcome", I hear a short pop
      emanating from the speakers.
3-  When the computer unfreezes there is a message in the screen's bottom right that says;
                  "Windows7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows not genuine."
     I bought this copy from a legitimate vendor in 2014.  It came in a sealed MS Corp. package with all of
     the official ID's and product key.

I'm including the above in the hope that the info might help you to help me.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 05:35:35 am »
I don't really know what else to suggest for that SuperFetch problem given that you've reinstalled and not sure what that "pop" signified but it doesn't sound healthy.

I'll pass this problem on to see if there are any other solutions.

Is this the first time you've received the not genuine message ?

Run a command prompt as an administrator and enter these cmds which should resolve the not genuine message.

You can copy & paste the longer one to the cmd prompt to eliminate any typos.

net stop sppsvc
(wait until the service has stopped before entering the following lines)

CD %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

REN tokens.dat tokens.bar

net start sppsvc

slui.exe

After a couple of seconds the Windows Activation dialog will appear.

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your key then use what came with the package.

Reboot.

I'm just wondering if the System Update Readiness Tool might fix Superfetch.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

Scroll down the page and download the appropriate version - for a 64 bit system it's 533MB so it's worth clicking on Save should you need it in the future and then you can run it as and when from your Downloads folder.

You can view its log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:07:36 am by Boggin »

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 09:01:59 am »
Use tweak prefetch to disable super fetch.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweakprefetch.html

You should see the problem go away.

You can then experiment with the setting to see what works best for you.

Offline ohgee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 07:34:17 am »
To Boggin,

In following your instructions I found that sppsvc was not started, and by using the last
(2) commands, i.e., net start sppsvc, and slui.exe, the 'non-genuine Windows' problem
went away.  Thank you so much for this.

I tried the 'System Update Readiness Tool' as you suggested.  Unfortunately, it did not
correct the computer freeze problem.

This has got to be one of the weirdest problems I've come across in all of my years of
computing.  That is, after restarting, everything comes up as expected.  However, when
clicking anywhere on the display the computer freezes for several hours, and then if left
alone it unfreezes itself.  After that it works like a charm.

If I look at Superfetch properties when the computer is working I see that the service
status is stopped.  Trying to start it gives me the error message as I originally reported. 
In retrospect, could this possibly not be a Superfetch problem after all, as initially thought,
and could be something else?

Boggin,  I can't thank you enough for spending so much of your time in attempting to
solve this problem.  It is people like yourself that are selfless, and truly are an inspiration
to help others.

To JPM,

I downloaded 'Tweak Prefetch' and found that Superfetch was already disabled.  I've tried
some of the different options, and so far nothing worked.  Do you think this problem might
be due to something else, as I've noted to Boggin?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 04:38:04 pm »
Does Event Viewer have anything recorded for the freezes and time outs ?

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 08:44:23 pm »
Did you try to re-enable superfetch?  That may be the underlying issue

Offline crazy4years

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 04:46:33 pm »
You might want to try checking 2 things that come to mind. Help me here guys, but isn't there a command prompt in the start up for windows that establishes the delay for running which may have been affected somehow with a freak variable? May need to check how it is loading up.

Second is that if windows believed your copy was not legit, it does not actually run a full install over existing os, so may need to try that again after clearing the issue to see if what is missing can be restored?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 11:13:56 am »
I hate to blame hdd on anything but have you done a chkdsk /f
The reason I ask is I've seen copy of windows 7 go none genuine when anything is "tampered" but it was just corruption of system files.
Julian