Author Topic: Explorer High CPU  (Read 14957 times)

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
Explorer High CPU
« on: September 06, 2016, 10:19:25 am »
Takes Windows 7 30 to 40 minutes to boot up. In the time running programs do not show in taskbar.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer High CPU
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
https://www.malwarebytes.com/startuplite/

Use this to check startup programs.

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Use this to check malware I usually run 2 times in safemode with networking.

Next I do the usual a chkdsk /f make sure no hdd corruption. 0kb in bad sectors

Next I empty prefetch folder and do a restart 2 times.
First restart reintalizes the startup apps with prefetch the second is just a clean start with everything loaded up so I get a feel of how the startup is.
Julian

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:02:20 pm »
Little more info to go on. When I go to task manager and end process explorer.exe then do a new task(run) explorer.exe it take it a while to be things back like taskbar and so on.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 01:12:29 pm »
How many processes do you have running?
Julian

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 01:15:06 pm »
Right now it says 113.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:06:24 am »
In Task Manager/Processes click on Memory and that will sort to the highest user first.

It could be your AV program but if it's a service host then right click on it and select Go to services and whichever is at the bottom will be the culprit of that, but see if you still get the slow start in a clean boot.

Go Start - type msconfig - press enter and under the Startup tab click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart.

If that gives some improvement but not all, then under the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services - Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart, but ensure your antivirus program is still running.

If there is an improvement with either lot disabled, then you will need to enable one item at a time under Startup and check the start up and if most improvement occurs with the non-MS services disabled, then you can enable a few at a time, restarting after each selection.

To revert to a normal start up, check the button for Normal startup

You could also run a command prompt as an admin and see what a chkdsk /f has to report and also check on the fragmentation status of your HDD.

You can view the full chkdsk log in Event Viewer by expanding Windows Logs - click on Application - Action - Find - type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press Enter.

Cancel the Find box and then read the report in the scrollable window.

One more thing to try that I can think of at the moment if none of those has resolved and that is to boot up into the advanced boot options - select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt and enter bootrec /fixmbr

Enter exit to close the command window then Restart

There is a Startup Repair option in there but it rarely fixes anything and as long as the machine eventually boots up, it doesn't think anything is wrong.

In msconfig under the Boot tab, check the button for OS boot information and the next time you restart you can see the drivers loading and if it is sticking on anything.

You can also create a Boot log by checking that button as well and the log can be found in C:\Windows as nbt

Double clicking on that will open it in Notepad but it can be confusing by saying such and such a driver hasn't loaded when a previous entry has said that it has - it can't load twice.

To revert to a normal boot, just uncheck those items under the Boot tab in msconfig.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »
Average processes is 60 to 75 anything higher will bog down a system have you done a malware check at all and do you really need all those programs starting up you can open a run box with winkey + r type msconfig and go to startup disable everything you don't need running besides your antivirus. Another thing is go to the start menu type in task schedule you should be able to see all the tasks that start up.
Julian

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 06:56:56 am »
Yes I have run a malware scaner find nothing. When I get some time I will try the other things you guys have said and get back to you. Thanks. Have you guys used this program called Autoruns? you can get it here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:16:11 am by parkd1 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:59 am »
I prefer Process Explorer - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Click on Options and ensure Verify Signature is checked then hover over VirusTotal.com and check its box.

This will show you the signatures of each process running as well as a column under Virus Total which will give ratings in blue, but if any are in red with a highish value divided by 50ish, then treat that as suspect.

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 07:46:45 am »
Here is the boot log file.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 08:23:48 am »
Go to your computer support site and download the chipset and video drivers in that order and then see what your boot time is like.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 10:03:49 am »
- Did you recently install a program ? I had the same problem some 3 to 4 years ago. It turned out that two (conflicting) programs wanted to create their own thumbnails.

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 01:56:29 pm »
Go to your computer support site and download the chipset and video drivers in that order and then see what your boot time is like.

I had it built so there is no support web site. I was wondering why I would not see the windows logo screen at boot up. thought it might be do to a corrupted file but it was not. When I ran Msconfig I saw that it was checked not to show and the wactives on normal startup. When I uncheck it to show it it changes it to selective startup. Not sure how that happened. Just odd.

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 01:58:24 pm »
- Did you recently install a program ? I had the same problem some 3 to 4 years ago. It turned out that two (conflicting) programs wanted to create their own thumbnails.

You could be right but I woild not know cuse it has be doing it for a while now and do not remember what I installed. I would say at least 6 months.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 02:25:11 pm »
With a custom build you need to go to the motherboard support site where you will see the drivers.

The free version of Speccy may save you from having to open it up and physically check the details on the motherboard.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

What is it doing now since you corrected msconfig ?

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:34:30 am »
It is doing the same but now shows the logo screen at boot. I aslo did the patch Tuesday. I had on update fix in it with all the security fixes. I will check out the other thing you siad.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 10:20:07 am »
When you uncheck anything in msconfig it always goes to selective start because you've change it from a normal start up.

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 01:40:30 pm »
I get that but when  you install windows it always showed the logo screen when  computer boots up so it should be unchecked for normal start up, right? My motherboard is Asus P5B-Deluxe (LGA 775). The chipset is Intel P965/G965. Got it a few months after Vista came out do it is really old.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 02:32:30 pm »
No, it should be initially checked for a normal start up which is default.

You may have gotten your motherboard when an earlier OS was out but a motherboard isn't OS dependent and drivers will have been updated.

Use the dropdown to change/confirm your OS version and then have a look through the drivers in https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/22/27/2/o7He8KHagWiFxHRw/29/

Intel also have an auto detect but probably best to use the drivers from the P5B site.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 02:50:23 pm »
Go the one from Intel and it said the are no drivers detected for your prtoduct.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 02:52:14 pm »
Try the motherboard support site then.