Author Topic: Question about WU downloads  (Read 8128 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Question about WU downloads
« on: September 11, 2016, 03:35:39 pm »
- When I want to download the english version of Windows Update KB 3102810 then I go this webpage

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49540

- But I have reports that some people aren't able to download that package (it happens with other Updates as well !!). They click on the "Download" button, the website says "Thank you for downloading" but nothing gets downloaded. One report suggests - I repeat - suggests that running "Windows Repair" could be the cause of not being able to download that file anymore. Since it happens with IE and Chrome I would assume that something in Windows itself is "broken".
I recommended running only a few repairs (e.g. "Register System files") but it was to no avail.
- No, the page (=MS Download Center) mentioned above is does NOT use ActiveX whereas MS Catalog does use ActiveX (for the time being).

Does anyone have an answer ?  Perhaps Shane has an idea of what's going on ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about WU downloads
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:11:05 pm »
Can you post a link to that report and then I'll bring this to the attention of Shane.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 04:30:10 pm »
- There's a website called "Sysnative" and one person from that website has written a wonderful tool called "SFC Fix"

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

They specialize in "Windows Update" problems and they're good at it. "CKing123" also helps out over there.
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/

- One person had problems with Windows Update on his Vista system and asked for help. And he has run Windows Repair and wasn't able to download those updates. Again, it's highly speculative whether WR caused this problem.

See this thread:
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/21128-windows-updates-loop-appears-new-post.html

I tried to help him (register a bunch of Windows system files (think: the REGSVR32 command)) to get that "Download" button functioning again, but to no avail.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 12:47:15 am »
It was only the opinion of the OP that thought running WR had messed things up - the helper did not corroborate that and as the OP did eventually get updates, I don't think WR had anything to do with this problem and it was a problem on MS's end.

Many who haven't even heard of WR have been experiencing the same problem - that is why MS have been releasing monthly updates to ease high CPU and memory usage when in a manual check for updates.

Where the natural update methods have caused problems, WSUS Offline Update has prevailed.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:47:55 am »
- The point is that the "Download" button on that webpage didn't work. It has nothing to do with the "Windows Update" problem that's plagueing Win 7 users these days. This person has a Vista system and in the past previous WR versions "broke" the "VSS writers" on a Vista system. That was due to the way WR  registered (paste tense) those files in those previous versions. I thought that perhaps the same issue "broke" something in Windows that kept that download button from functioning properly.

- And I DO know that it matters HOW files are registered.

- Since this problem surfaced in both Chrome & IE I think it's a problem in the Windows OS itself. And it could perhaps be solved by improving WR. That's the reason why I posted this problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 01:53:58 am »
Okay - I'll email Shane with a link to your thread to see if he has any comment.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:08:08 am »
- I should have given more details earlier.
- Let me explain a bit more. For Windows to work a bunch of files needs to "registered" using the REGSVR32 command. Then Windows knows in which folder those files are located and - when I am right - loaded/read upon start up. But for Vista systems it matters in what order some files are registered. E.g.

REGSVR32 file1 /s
    REGSVR32 file1 /s /i

won't break the VSS writers. But if this happens in this order

REGSVR32 file1 /s /i
    REGSVR32 file1 /s

it DOES break the VSS writers. This weird behaviour has been taken into account in "Register System Files" and "Repair VSS" but it hasn't in - at least - one other repair ("Repair Internet Explorer"). I am NOT sure but it COULD help to fix that "Button" problem.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:43:18 am by Willy2 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 12:49:23 pm »
Reply from Shane -

Nothing to do with WR.

Keep in mind my program sets permissions and registers files and things like that. Doesnt install anything or run in the background or change things like that.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 12:58:47 pm »
- Does Shane have a (vague) clue of what could be causing this odd behaviour ?
- Perhaps registrering more files could be the solution ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 01:02:08 pm »
It can only register the system files that are there - it can't create more.