Author Topic: Repair all tool - monitor won't display after off-on  (Read 3836 times)

Offline JingleJ

• View Profile
Repair all tool - monitor won't display after off-on
« on: December 25, 2016, 06:27:24 pm »
I ran the windows repair all tool, it was running slowly, half an hour in and only 2 out of 40 something done, this is not the issue though. I decided to turn off my monitor to save power, and when I turned it back on to check progress, it didn't register anything from the computer. The monitor cycled through all the possible display inputs, and then went into rest mode. The tool is likely still running, it had years left.

The monitor is fine, I tested it with my laptop.

On my PC, I pressed CTRL-ALT-DELETE and then escape, wiggled the mouse around,did just about anything I could that I didn't think would mess with the running program. I tried other outputs from my video card and one of the outputs from my MB - nothing from any of them. Is this normal?

There's the chance that it's messing with display drivers or something and I'll feel really foolish later, but I've looked around a bit and haven't seen any similar complaints. I'm not sure where to go from here.

OS is Windows 10

EDIT: Was run in safe mode, did do a register backup. Ran it to fix audio hitching, which later turned into general system hitching - occasionally audio would BZZT (from all sources) and the mouse would lag, in general the system would just lag for a second. Happened very frequently earlier, once every few seconds, so finally it was annoying enough to address. I was on the ropes about it being an issue with my CPU when I started to run Repair All and hopefully save some money.

EDIT: Left it on overnight, as of now it's been running for ~16 hours. Plan is currently to give it four more, reset and hope for the best.

EDIT: solution -> after turning PC off and on was able to restore the registry, got rid of repair tool. Problem ended up being having two routers in my network, one hooked into the other. turned off one of them and updated my wireless card, problem's gone. (still a little annoyed at how much trial and error I did when it ended up being fixed with a single button)

EDIT: nevermind, problem returned after ~5 minutes. No idea.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:15:35 pm by JingleJ, Reason: unsolved »