Author Topic: Can I disconnect from internet during repair vista 32 bit  (Read 16159 times)

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
Can I disconnect from internet during repair vista 32 bit
« on: March 06, 2017, 02:19:26 pm »
Hello. I appreciate the app and I've followed all suggestions recommended before finally running the repair. My bro who lives next door just came over wanting to reset the internet connection as he says it's not working for him. I told him not yet because I'm running the windows repair app & don't want to mess it up. I'm running Vista 32 bit & if I remember correctly safe mode with networking was basically needed for windows 8 & 10 but I want to b sure. Every now & again I do see activity between the 2 computers on the connection icon.  Ty for ur time & help & of course the app! Blessings to you & yours!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can I disconnect from internet during repair vista 32 bit
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »
AFAIK it only needs to go online to repair the apps in Win 10 - Vista should be okay.

In the meantime ask your brother to run a command prompt as an admin and enter these cmds -

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

shutdown /r /t 00

then see if it connects after the reboot.

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:11 pm »
Ty for the reply. It actually finished and I just restarted. My bro & Ma live next door & connect their phones to my wifi. They shouldn't have to wait much longer as I believe it is finished & I can restart the modem. Thanks again. Be blessed!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:08:17 pm »
Ah - so it wasn't for a computer....

You may want to make a note of those cmds as they can quite often resolve computer connectivity problems.

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:39:16 pm »
Ah - so it wasn't for a computer....

You may want to make a note of those cmds as they can quite often resolve computer connectivity problems.

Thank you I have just saved it to my PC Help Texts folder!

Any chance you know how to restore a partition to an HP Sleekbook 15-b119wm after I ran AOMEI Partition Recovery and wrote all found partitions to the computer except the WinPe. According to Fioni at AOMEI "Recovering the system partition is not wise" Be blessed! Amanda

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 03:46:55 pm »
No, but a system image would have done it.

I assume without the WinPE you wouldn't be able to factory reset after backing up your personal stuff ?

I'd probably contact HP for a set of recovery disks and then put the personal stuff back on after the reset after cleaning out the bloat.

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 04:52:14 pm »
No, but a system image would have done it.

I assume without the WinPE you wouldn't be able to factory reset after backing up your personal stuff ?

I'd probably contact HP for a set of recovery disks and then put the personal stuff back on after the reset after cleaning out the bloat.

Thank you, I have a copy of the whole system on my external hard drive but I need to do some research on how to turn it into an image and then restoring that image. I'm having to use my desktop running Vista 32 bit since this happened and I'm not sure but I don't think I'll be able to create a 64 bit image with a 32 bit pc so I've got quite a bit to figure out.

If I could just get some information off of the partitions that would help because I was planning to put Windows 7 64 bit on it anyway.

Thank you again. Blessings to you & yours! Amanda

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:32:22 am »
How did you copy/create that image onto the ext. drive ?

If it was a Windows system image and you can get access to a Win 7 x64 machine, you can create a System Repair Disk to boot up with to navigate to the option of restoring with an image you had created earlier.

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 10:28:46 am »
How did you copy/create that image onto the ext. drive ?

If it was a Windows system image and you can get access to a Win 7 x64 machine, you can create a System Repair Disk to boot up with to navigate to the option of restoring with an image you had created earlier.

Thank you again for your reply. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a Win 7 x64 pc. I thought about the library but they proly won't let you do all that on their pcs.

I just copied all of the folders/files to my external hard drive so it's not an 'image'. However I do have the OEM Windows 7 Pro 64 bit disk I purchased on ebay as my plan was to downgrade to it, but my laptop won't boot from cd/dvd. I have been trying to figure out how to run something like Hiren's boot cd from a flash drive, thinking that would help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:24:13 pm »
A little bit confused here - how do you mean downgrade to Win 7 ?

I thought you were using a Vista machine - in which case you will be upgrading.

You will need to change the Boot order for it to boot from a DVD.

I've found two articles for that, so you will need to try each to see which works for your machine.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c00364979

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443329

If you are using a 32 bit machine then you will need to find out if it is capable of running a 64 bit OS.

There's a section in this article which may help you to find if your computer is 64 bit capable - failing that, contacting HP Support would be the next best way.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15056/windows-7-32-64-bit-faq

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:25 pm »
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. I am on a Vista 32 bit desktop but that is only because of what I did to my HP Sleekbook 15-b119wm running Windows 8 64 bit. I hadn't used this desktop since like last April because I had gotten used to my laptop. So now that it looks like it will be awhile that I'll be using my desktop I was trying to get everything updated which I had been procrastinating when I pretty much quit using it last April when I started using my laptop exclusively.

By trying to update it, I just mean all my drivers and windows updates, that sort of thing but then I started having issues that I had forgotten about and was finally trying to get them sorted out. That was why I was running the Tweaking Repair (on my Vista desktop), hoping that it would at least restore functionality so that it isn't at a snail's pace. I had gotten spoiled by the speed of my 64 bit HP laptop with 8 GB RAM.

On this Vista machine, my windows updates are not working and for some reason I can't install them manually. The .msu files run but they never seem to accomplish anything, pretty much just like the windows updates. Also, system restore wouldn't work. I actually think the Tweaking app fixed that though.

Which of course I'm using my Vista desktop to try to figure out how to restore my HP laptop. I bought the OEM Win7 Pro 64 bit off ebay hoping to put it on the laptop to replace Win8 64 bit. It is this machine that won't read from cd/dvd no matter what I set in boot setup.

I thought about upgrading my desktop (running Vista 32 bit now) and I know it is 64 bit compatible but I thought I'd need to upgrade everything on it since I've had it since like 2007. It's like a no name brand I got from the local pc shop up the road.

Unfortunately, what I did to my laptop cannot be fixed by the Tweaking Repair app. Apparently when I saw what AOMEI Recovery found, I thought it was strange that it would let me pick any four of the five partitions it found. Not knowing what I was doing, I assumed all except for WinPE were supposed to be restored thus ticking all but that one. As it turns out there was one other one I shouldn't have ticked. Again, according to Fiona @ AOMEI "Recovering the system partition is not wise". I thought that was the whole point of the program, to restore the system partition. There must be a difference between recovering and restoring. Obviously this is the first time I've done anything that I couldn't undo by replacing some files over DOS, or a system restore, so I'm kind of in over my head, but once I learn it, I won't forget it. And trust me, I'll be seeking madly until I get it straight.

I hope I haven't confused you even further. Thank you again for your kindness trying to help. Blessings to you & yours! Amanda

A little bit confused here - how do you mean downgrade to Win 7 ?

I thought you were using a Vista machine - in which case you will be upgrading.

You will need to change the Boot order for it to boot from a DVD.

I've found two articles for that, so you will need to try each to see which works for your machine.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c00364979

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443329

If you are using a 32 bit machine then you will need to find out if it is capable of running a 64 bit OS.

There's a section in this article which may help you to find if your computer is 64 bit capable - failing that, contacting HP Support would be the next best way.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15056/windows-7-32-64-bit-faq

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 12:19:04 am »
Have you run a sfc /scannow on the Vista machine to see if there's any file corruption ?

You'll probably know how to do this but go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter sfc /scannow

If it reports it is unable to repair some files then copy & paste this cmd to the prompt -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which will open the CBS log in Notepad when double clicked on, which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

If the sfc /scannow comes up clean although you can still try WSUS Offline Update if it doesn't, to see if that will get the Vista updates for you.

YT tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

This is for an earlier version but the principles are the same - click on the Legacy tab to select for Vista.

Download site - http://download.wsusoffline.net/

This tends to download just security updates but after it has done so, go to Windows Update where you should find the rest waiting to download.

It's possible that your CD/DVD drive could be broken - can it read the install disc or any other discs ?

However, it may be Secure Boot that's stopping the disc from booting.

See if this article will help - https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:17:46 pm by Boggin »

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 09:48:43 am »
I cannot remember if I've ran sfc on Vista. I appreciate the links. I have an appt in about an hour and I will check these out when I come back. Thanks again for your help. Be blessed! Amanda

Have you run a sfc /scannow on the Vista machine to see if there's any file corruption ?

You'll probably know how to do this but go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter sfc /scannow

If it reports it is unable to repair some files then copy & paste this cmd to the prompt -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which will open the CBS log in Notepad when double clicked on, which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

If the sfc /scannow comes up clean although you can still try WSUS Offline Update if it doesn't, to see if that will get the Vista updates for you.

This is for an earlier version but the principles are the same - click on the Legacy tab to select for Vista.

This tends to download just security updates but after it has done so, go to Windows Update where you should find the rest waiting to download.

It's possible that your CD/DVD drive could broken - can it read the install disc or any other discs ?

See if this article will help - https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 12:40:36 pm »
Hey. I'm finally able to respond.

3-8-17 2:43am sfc Scan Complete with this message: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

I really appreciate the link for WSUS as it found like 263 updates. No wonder this pc hadn't been running right. The thing is when I go to Windows Update it still says I've never ran update on it (proly from the deletion of all the logs etc) but when I look at list of installed updates it seems to get stuck on searching (32), of course only had it searching for a few minutes.

The cd/dvd drive is working fine, it's an external ASUS SBC-06D2X-U-BLK-G-AS-Blu-Ray-Writer. It ran the AOMEI Partition Recovery app without any problem until I recovered all the partitions.

As far as Secure Boot, that was one of the things the google searches mentioned in every instance of telling me how to change the boot order to try to boot from first the cd/dvd drive and then the flash drive. I've disabled it from the first.

Aha, Installed Updates just finished and it's showing 462 Updates which WSUS showed 463 but I ran it twice and the 2nd time it didn't find any more.

Anyway, thank you again for your time and help. Be blessed! Amanda

It's possible that your CD/DVD drive could be broken - can it read the install disc or any other discs ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 03:39:37 pm »
Well that's the Vista machine sorted ?

Does the HP laptop work ?

If it does, to clarify this bit about the partitions, can yo go Start - type diskmgmt.msc and press enter then either use PRTSC and Paint or the Snipping Tool to take a pic of Disk Management which you can then upload to the reply box.

To use PRTSC on a laptop you may have to press FN+ALT and then tap PRTSC.

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 09:28:28 am »
Hey, and thank you so much for all your help.

Unfortunately, my HP laptop running Windows 8 64 bit will not boot. I had lost all my partitions and ran AOMEI Partition Recovery on it. It found five partitions but wouldn't let me check but any 4 of them. Not knowing what I was doing I selected all except for the WinPE partition (thinking that was the AOMEI program). Now when I turn it on I get these messages:

Recovery

Your PC need to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.
Error code 0xc0000225

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system admin or PC manufacturer

then I press F8 for startup settings and get this message:

The application or OS couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
Error Code; 0xc0000225

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system admin or PC manufacturer

It gives me these options on each of these screens:

Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings
Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

this time I press Esc and get these options:

F1 System Info
F2 System Diagnostics
F9 Boot Device Options
F10 BIOS Setup
F11 System Recovery

ENTER - Continue Startup

For more info, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

So going through each one:

F1 System Info

Notebook Model: HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15
Product Number: D8X45UA#ABA
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxx
Born On Date: 08/04/2013
System Board ID: 193B
Product Configuration ID: 0888100003355900000320100
System Board CT Number: PDJFD018J4P0NF
BIOS Version: F.1E
Processor Type: AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Processor Speed: 1600 MHz
Total Memory: 8 GB
Primary Batter SN: N/A (I took the battery out because I leave it plugged in all the time)
WLAN FCC ID: VQF-RT3290
Bluetooth FCC ID: VQF-RT3290

Press Esc to Continue

So I pressed F2 this time for HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

It says:

Version 1.6.0.0 - BIOS
For more info, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags

Options

Memory Test
Hard Drive Check
Language
Exit

So I press 'Memory Test'

Memory Quick Check: Test in progress *.............
Press Escape to cancel
Estimated Time Remaining 9 min 41 sec

I take this opportunity to practice patience while it runs.

It finished:

PASSED

Back to Main Menu

Now time for Hard Drive Check first the:

Quick Check

Smart Check: PASSED
Short DST: Test in Progress .*.............
Estimated Time 1 min 28 secs

Waiting.....

Short DST: PASSED

Now:

Extensive Check
SMART Check: PASSED
Long DST: Test in Progress .*..............
Estimated Time Remaining 2 hour 47 mins 8 secs

Waiting........Practicing Much Patience........
Ok, instead, How about if I say....Good Nap.... BB

Good Morning. I got up and after getting ready I'm back on the mission!

Results:

SMART Check: PASSED
Long DST: PASSED

Those were all the Diagnostics Tests

F9 Boot Device Options

Boot Manager
Boot Options Menu
OS boot Manager
Boot From EFI File
Notebook Hard Drive

arrow up and arrow down to change option, ENTER to select an option.

Press F10 to BIOS Setup Options, ESC to exit.

I pressed OS boot Manager and get the message:

Recovery

Error code 0xc0000225

After a few seconds it cuts off, cutting it back on shows the second error:

The application or OS couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
Error Code; 0xc0000225

Now I thought I'd have this 'winload.efi' file saved on my external hard drive, but when I searched 'Everything' for it exactly I get 0 results; however when I just search for '.efi' I get "bootmgr.efi" located in E:\Windows RE (Recovery Environment) (from Recovery Drive D). This location being where I copied all the files from the Recovery Partition. It's the original file because it has a date modified as 7/26/2012, I didn't get the laptop til 2013, tax free weekend.

Back to the F9 Boot Device Options I select Boot from EFI File and get this message:

NO VOLUME LABEL, [Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(11l0/Ata(Primary,Master)/HD(Part1,SigA22DCEC3)]

There are options at the bottom:

'arrow up arrow down=Move Highlight' '<Enter>=Select Entry

Everything to highlight has already been highlighted so I hit 'Enter' and get:

File Explorer
<EFI>
<boot>
<Temp>

'arrow up arrow down=Move Highlight' '<Enter>=Select Entry

Selecting <EFI> gives me another 'File Explorer' page showing:

<.>
<..>
<Microsoft>
<Boot>
<HP>

Now this can obviously go on and on because it's giving me the opportunity to find the EFI file considering I know where the location, which of course I do not, or I would not be in this mess, but you get the idea.

Back to Boot Manager Options Menu. The only thing left to try is 'Notebook Hard Drive'.

'Notebook Hard Drive'

Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired

The boot Configuration data for you Pc is missing or constains errors
File: \Boot\BCD
Error Code: 0xc000000f

then after a while the screen flashes and goes back to this error:

Recovery

Error code 0xc0000225

Pressing F11 for Recovery goes back to this error:

Recovery

Error code 0xc0000225

So I have pretty much exhausted all the options I possibly can at this point since I have no further experience (but I'm gaining it now YAY).

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information but I am trying to make it as easy as I possibly can for you to help me.

It seems like it would be simple IF I had a recovery disc. Then again I wonder if it would work seeing how it won't boot from the cd/dvd drive. But I do have a "en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso" that I downloaded & saved from the laptop on my external drive. I also have "Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 DVD.iso" saved to the external hard drive as well. But if I understand correctly I'd need to burn it to a disc using another 64 bit machine. I'm not that intimate with people as far as knowing anyone who'd let me use their computer for such a thing.

I wonder if I could use the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit dvd I got off ebay just to get into recovery?

Hey I put it in, changed the boot order back to cd/dvd and it's loading. Not sure where it'll let me go from here, but it sure is beautiful. Ah, man, the only choice is to install Windows 7. I guess that's why I need a 'recovery disc' not an 'installation disc'. I kind of want to at least get some important financial files off of it before I do all that. This is why I was trying to restore Windows 8 partitions because of needing those files.

Well, not sure what I can do now. I'd like to fix Windows 8 before I go to Windows 7 but If that's not possible it would at least help me out if I could copy some folders to my external hard drive.

I thank you again! Hope you have a blessed day! Amanda

Well that's the Vista machine sorted ?

Does the HP laptop work ?

If it does, to clarify this bit about the partitions, can yo go Start - type diskmgmt.msc and press enter then either use PRTSC and Paint or the Snipping Tool to take a pic of Disk Management which you can then upload to the reply box.

To use PRTSC on a laptop you may have to press FN+ALT and then tap PRTSC.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:00:26 am »
I was wondering if the missing device was your DVD drive with you not being able to boot up the Win 8 disk, but obviously not.

The thing is though, that to install Win 7 it's going to be a clean install and you'll lose everything on C:

However, you can create a Linux bootable disk to recover your files, although I've never done this.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804/the-10-cleverest-ways-to-use-linux-to-fix-your-windows-pc/

Download site which has a User Guide - https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

If you get stuck, I'll ask one of the Admins to see if they can walk you through.

If you can get past that lot and you've recovered what you want to, then I'd format the HDD before installing Win 7 and then you can free upgrade to Win 10.

I'll post the links for that later if you want them.

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 11:32:27 pm »
Thank you so much. It is a bit late to start tonight (or I should say this morning) so I'm going to get on this as soon as I get up. I also appreciate the experience because it gives me a great opportunity of learning something new, esp about linux. I've always wondered but never wanted to depart from just smoothly getting online to try something as foreign as a different OS.

I actually did know it was going to have to be a clean install but from what I've heard it will be well worth it.

Thank you also for offering more help if I get stuck. It gives me more motivation to follow through.

I shall keep you up to date with my progress.

Blessings to you and yours! Amanda

I was wondering if the missing device was your DVD drive with you not being able to boot up the Win 8 disk, but obviously not.

The thing is though, that to install Win 7 it's going to be a clean install and you'll lose everything on C:

However, you can create a Linux bootable disk to recover your files, although I've never done this.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804/the-10-cleverest-ways-to-use-linux-to-fix-your-windows-pc/

Download site which has a User Guide - https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

If you get stuck, I'll ask one of the Admins to see if they can walk you through.

If you can get past that lot and you've recovered what you want to, then I'd format the HDD before installing Win 7 and then you can free upgrade to Win 10.

I'll post the links for that later if you want them.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 08:03:05 am »
Hello. I appreciate the app and I've followed all suggestions recommended before finally running the repair. My bro who lives next door just came over wanting to reset the internet connection as he says it's not working for him. I told him not yet because I'm running the windows repair app & don't want to mess it up. I'm running Vista 32 bit & if I remember correctly safe mode with networking was basically needed for windows 8 & 10 but I want to b sure. Every now & again I do see activity between the 2 computers on the connection icon.  Ty for ur time & help & of course the app! Blessings to you & yours!

- I would STRONGLY recommend to ALWAYS disconnect the internet connection when you run the program for the 1st time. You Always can run the program for a second time with the internet connection turned on.

Offline miraclemandi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 11:23:16 am »
Ty so much. I appreciate that tip. I will keep it in mind should I need to run it again. Blessings to you and yours! Amanda

- I would STRONGLY recommend to ALWAYS disconnect the internet connection when you run the program for the 1st time. You Always can run the program for a second time with the internet connection turned on.