Author Topic: CPU running at 100% continuously in normal mode  (Read 10408 times)

Offline Moose

• View Profile
CPU running at 100% continuously in normal mode
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:53:00 am »
I am trying to repair my sons computer.  I have used several anti-virus and anti-malware programs to get the viruses off his computer.  So far I have removed 10 Trojans and over 1600 Malware.  Mostly using Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, Junkware remover, Norton Power eraser and Sophos programs.  I believe that I have removed all of the viruses.  So I ran the Tweaking.com Windows repair several times now and in safe mode everything works properly.  But when I go back to normal mode the cpu continuously runs at 100%.  The viruses on his computer wiped out his restore points and stopped system restore and windows update from running.  Tweaking windows repair has these now working in safe mode.  Also SFC /SCANNOW did not work but now works in safe mode.  What else can I try to repair this computer?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CPU running at 100% continuously in normal mode
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:50:55 am »
You haven't said which version of Windows you are using.

If you are using Win 7 then go Start - type msconfig and press enter and check to see what is running under the Startup tab.

For Win 10 those items are under the Start-up tab in Task Manager, but in either case, right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager then under the Processes tab click on the word Memory and that will sort into highest user first.

Need more details on which version of Windows as the steps to drill down further are slightly different.

There are two programs to see everything that is running on your machine - Autoruns and Process Explorer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

I've always preferred the latter.

If you opt to use Process Explorer then click on Options and ensure Verify is checked then hover over VirusTotal.com and check its box.

That will produce a column with values/50ish and all should be in blue - any that are in red and have a highish numerator, then treat those as suspect which can be removed.

Offline Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:38:31 am »
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »
The quickest way to get rid of infections and repair the installation on an OEM machine would be to back up the personal stuff and factory reset, which may still be the best option given that some things will only work in Safe Mode.

As for the high CPU usage, I've never used Vista but would think it similar to Win 7.

Are all of your Windows Updates up to date as it could be the Windows Update service that's hogging.

You could check that by going Start - type services.msc and press enter then scroll down to the Windows Update service, click on it then on Stop in the upper left pane then check the CPU usage.

Also, right click on the task bar and select Task Manager and under the Processes tab click on Memory to sort to the highest user first.

Right click on the highest user and select Go to services and the one that is highlighted will be the hog.

Which antivirus program is installed on the computer ?

Go Start - type msconfig and press enter then under the Startup tab click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart then check the CPU usage.

If that brings it down and your antivirus program isn't among those disabled then you can leave all of those items disabled, unless you want to find which is the culprit.

You would then enable one at a time - Apply - OK - Restart and check the CPU after each.

If it is still maxed out then under the Sevices tab check the box to Hide all Microsoft services then Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart

If that brings the CPU down then add a couple of the services back at a time - Apply - OK - Restart and check the CPU after each.

Have you downloaded Process Explorer to see if any suspect items are running ?

Offline Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 04:58:05 pm »
I am using Malwarebytes Premium.  I was using 360 total security.

No I have not downloaded process explorer, yet.  I will do that next.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 05:29:32 pm »
I was just wondering if an AV program was running overtime.

Use msconfig to disable those items to see if has any effect on the CPU.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 11:36:11 pm »
I am using Malwarebytes Premium.  I was using 360 total security.

No I have not downloaded process explorer, yet.  I will do that next.

If you're using Malwarebytes Premium 3.0, it does use a lot of memory and processor power. There is much discussion on the Malwarebytes forum - see exile360's post in this thread https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/197270-malwarebytes-ram-usage-should-be-less-than-100mb/ to see what one of Malwarebytes' staff has to say on the issue. Malwarebytes 3.0 is a great piece of software but the developers are aware that there are still some issues to fix.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 09:34:28 am »
Thank You Still-Game.

Here are the files from Autorun and ProcessExplorer.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 10:55:05 am »
Process Explorer difficult to read and perhaps a screen shot would have been more informative, but from what I can make out they all seem to be verifiable.

Use msconfig as I've described to see if it drops the CPU usage.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 07:58:39 am »
Use Task Manager to see which process/Service uses this large amount of CPU.
- Let it show the processes of all users. Then open the Services tab.
- Now highlight one by one a running Service, rightclick and select "Go To Process". Task Manager will highlight the associated process. Hopefully Task Manager will (sooner or later) highlight the process that uses A LOT OF CPU.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:03:40 am by Willy2 »

Offline Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 01:40:35 pm »
I ran a sfc /scannow.  Here are the results:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. 

Detailes are included in CBS.log

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 04:02:04 pm »
I think I'd back up personal stuff and factory reset if an OEM machine that has a recovery partition.

Offline Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 04:17:57 pm »
The viruses wiped out my restore points.  My son never did back up his computer.  Windows Vista home premium was installed on the machine when bought.  No disks came with the machine.  So I am unable to reinstall windows.  I guess I could install Umbutu instead.  But would like to keep Windows if I could..

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 04:58:45 pm »
If the machine is a branded one and came with Vista pre-installed it should have a recovery partition.

Go Start - Computer which should then show Windows (C) and possibly a D: Recovery drive, but if you post the make and model of computer, I can Google - or you can, to see how to factory reset it.

On some machines you would tap F8 as you switch on then select Repair your computer where you then navigate to the Recovery Environment.

Those will list various options starting with Startup Repair and the factory recovery option would be at the bottom as it's normally a last resort.

Offline daitrongpham

• View Profile
    • err_spdy_protocol_error
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 10:20:03 am »
my computer has also 99% cpu high. so tired when play some games

Offline daitrongpham

• View Profile
    • err_spdy_protocol_error
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 12:09:29 pm »
This is an annoying problem for users computer.
You can try methods below

Make sure that you have updated all drivers for your computer hardware especially the graphics card driver.
Perform a Windows 10 Repair: If you're getting the System and Compressed memory high usage problems with Windows 10 on your computer, you should be able to use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.
Add more RAM: This is a useful method for your computer system. When your computer runs short of RAM, it's forced to swap the overflow data on and off of the hard drive, which can cause System and Compressed memory high memory usage.
Uninstall unnecessary applications: You can also try to uninstall unnecessary applications to fix the System and Compressed memory high CPU usage on Windows 10. To do that, you go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program to uninstall any programs that you don’t want use.
Finally, I recommend you to close all idle applications and browser web pages.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 12:06:35 am »
This is an annoying problem for users computer.
You can try methods below

Make sure that you have updated all drivers for your computer hardware especially the graphics card driver.
Perform a Windows 10 Repair: If you're getting the System and Compressed memory high usage problems with Windows 10 on your computer, you should be able to use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.
Add more RAM: This is a useful method for your computer system. When your computer runs short of RAM, it's forced to swap the overflow data on and off of the hard drive, which can cause System and Compressed memory high memory usage.
Uninstall unnecessary applications: You can also try to uninstall unnecessary applications to fix the System and Compressed memory high CPU usage on Windows 10. To do that, you go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program to uninstall any programs that you don’t want use.
Finally, I recommend you to close all idle applications and browser web pages.

The OP stated that he is using Windows Vista.................
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro