Author Topic: How to Copy or make a backup image without bad blocks?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Rick

• View Profile
How to Copy or make a backup image without bad blocks?
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:59:25 am »
TIA

Its useless make a backup image with bad blocks as that's where new malware will hide...
Backups copy bad blocks too, whats the use buying a new hard drive?

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Re: How to Copy or make a backup image without bad blocks?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:23:48 am »
I don't think you're correct in your assumption that a backup solution will copy bad blocks (bad sectors). For instance, using my backup solution of choice, Casper 10, to make a bootable copy to a new hard drive, the copy will have all the original operating system, programs and data files but I can't see any scenario where bad blocks could be copied across. Or am I missing something?
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to Copy or make a backup image without bad blocks?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 02:43:08 pm »
HD Sentinel was reporting a spiralling number of bad sectors on one of my laptops, although none of the other diagnostic programs found anything.

However, I decided to err on the side of caution and created a system image using Macrium Reflect Free and copied that onto a new HDD and everything worked just fine after, so it may have been debatable as to whether there was anything wrong with that HDD.

Macrium Reflect Free has an option to ignore bad sectors, so a system image could copy bad sectors, but performing a chkdsk /r first before the system image would mark sectors as not to be used.

If your HDD has bad sectors then you should take preventative steps straight away before you lose everything.

It's highly unlikely that malware would reside in bad blocks as they wouldn't be used by the system.