Author Topic: Cant(dont know how to) undo changes made by Simple Tweaker. pls help...  (Read 9541 times)

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
tittle pretty much explains it... ive used, dint really feel that much difference in performance but to some extent ofcourse there was increase of performance... ok now that im done gaming i want EVERYTHING to go back to the way it was. so normally i would think that i need to untick the boxed and hit apply but ofcourse this isnt the case.. THANK GOD somehow there was a backup made because stupid me dint think of creating one.... anyway now that i go an backup to the earliest backup possible i get prompted to restart pc for changes to take place. so i do...

after pc is running back on again NOTHING HAS CHANGED. im talking about visually.... np.. i go to appearance and change to aero theme, only to notice few things instantly, 1 the font is fucked up.. its not the way it was... 2 the toolbar color isnt changing, 3. when moving opened applications it doesnt move them it just moves the outline of the object until you release the click and then(hard to explain but pretty sure u know what i mean) so wtf? i just want everything to go back to normal.... ive spent like 2 hours now trying to get everything back to normal.... do i have to now do everything manually? i understand nothing about registry.... why on earth would you create a program that does not undo its changes? seriously.... such simple tweaks yet im pulling my hair out here.... pls help... how do i revert EVERYTHING back to normal 100000000% back to normal. BACK to the way it was before using the program.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:47:51 am by youngp33 »

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
Re: big ass problem after using simple tweaker for the first time
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:34 am »
also another thing i noticed is when changing aero themes they change instantly, that was not the case before. they used to take atleast 1 second before changing, now the change is instant and the toolbar isnt changing color, clearly some functions are off,

the font is changed to Segeo UI everywhere.. even as i write here the font is Segeo UI, browser toolbar font is also Segeo UI, its really frustrating... i dont even know what the default font is... arial?

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
Re: big ass problem after using simple tweaker for the first time
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 08:47:48 am »
changing the font manually doesnt even change anything lmao........ congratz i officially fucked my pc up by using simple tweaker. heres a screenshot of the youtube comment section looks like, and its like this all over my pc.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Restore using the registry backup that you made before running simple system tweaker.

Shown here in red box, assuming that you made a backup first?

"Backing up is only slightly less important than your heart beat. Do not tweak without it"
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 12:19:12 pm by Samson, Reason: spelling »

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
unfortunetally stupid me did not make one myself... there was one made automaticailly, well there was a few actually.. but restoring to the first one created did not restore anything, i mean visually, i dont know what what else is off, its just the visual stuff that is making me pull my hair out... how do i revert all the visuals back if i dont have a restore point? shouldnt there be some sort of option to revert everything back to default? i mean since the tweaker is using allready built in windows features cant i revert the features back to default?

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
it would be a bummer if i had to reinstall my windows just because i used a tweaker that tweaked windows features and now i cant "un-tweak" because the silly me dint create a restore point....

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If you are using Win 10 then it's easy to perform a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

You can create Win 10 install media after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You don't need a product key as Win 10 is digitally activated when it has been previously installed..

When you've done that, open Windows/File Explorer -This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to its files if using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

It's advocated if using an USB then use one of at least 8GB.

The repair install can take 3 - 4hrs.

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
im not using win10 nor would i want to... im using win7, is there anyway to fix or restore the visuals to defaults that were tweaked by the program other than reinstalling windows? i mean its just few changes in the registry isnt it? is it really that complicated that i would need to install windows 10 to repair my pc for 3-4hours from tweaking that was done in few seconds?

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
i just found a program by microsoft itself named SubInACL which from what i understand restores ALL registry permissions to defaults, can you confirm deny that this would fix my issue?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23510

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have used that in the past but I think it was for transferring files from one system to another, but the one you have linked only applies up to XP - which version of Windows are you using ?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Cant(dont know how to) undo changes made by Simple Tweaker. pls help...
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 04:49:30 pm »
See this post by Shane regarding reset to Windows defaults, back up current registry first  :wink:

https://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,515.msg3589.html#msg3589

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 05:07:08 pm »
i would just like to add to this comment since me editing it may not get your attention.

i just found a program by microsoft itself named SubInACL which from what i understand restores ALL registry permissions to defaults, can you confirm deny that this would fix my issue?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23510

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stykuu7kT_4

here is an 8 minute video how he uses this program to reset all registry permissions back to windows defaults, if you dont mind could you have a look?

he basically uses the program to run these commands

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

after which you can see every registry key reverting back to default in command prompt,

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 05:12:00 pm »
See this post by Shane regarding reset to Windows defaults, back up current registry first  :wink:

https://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,515.msg3589.html#msg3589

yeah i have tried Shanes advice to just untick everything and hit apply, unfortunetally in my case it doesnt change anything, atleast visually, if anything it just takes off the Aero theme to classic or "unsaved" but other than that the fonts all over the system is fucked up, the toolbar is not changing colors when changing themes just as when you drag a window it does not drag it it just shows the outline of the window moving ntill you release the click, so basically nothing changed after unticking everything and hitting apply.

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 05:48:56 pm »
ok so i have went along and tried what the video suggested, i have reverted EVERY registry key back to its default, STILL NO CHANGE TO THE VISUALS that were made by the simple tweaker what the actual **** like..... wtf? does this mean if i created a restore point and used it it would have not worked? i mean there was an auto-backup made, and restoring to it did not restore the visual tweaks, just as resetting every registry key back to default still doesnt revert the visuals back to the way they were before using the program? what the...?? this is the first time ive had such a mindfuck on a pc (sorry for my language) im just really frustrated because i cannot work on my pc because of this stupid problem....

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 06:36:44 pm »
So i kinda fixed my issue.... and that was by googling "visual styles on windows and buttons" as this is one of the features the program turns off, the plan was to google every feature and turn it back on but it landed my on a page that tweaks all the visual stuff,

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 06:40:30 pm »
i would like to say thank you for your time however i still have one visual problem left, or to say a feature to undo, can you guys help me on getting my taskbar color back to black again? each Aero theme has a different desktop taskbar, but the service or something is clearly off since the toolbar is not changing any color to any theme, can you guys atleast point me to a direction? what is turned off that makes the taskbar not change color while changing themes?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:42:40 am by youngp33 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 01:53:24 am »
The default option is for Windows to determine what is best for the system - what do you get when you check that option ?

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 10:49:15 am »
i get all the boxes ticked, the only box i untick is "animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" because that was not so before doing tweaks, also about the toolbar color... so far ive spend hours upon hours trying to fix the "aero" in windows, but this tweaking has f***ed it up on so many different things... even watched countless "fix aero theme" videos and i couldnt restore the aero or to say the "glass effect" which the program even clearly states

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:03 am »
for my final words i dont know where to begin....

1, as stupid as i was to not create a backup/restore point, there was one auto-made and it did not work, brings me to question if i did make a restore point manually would it have worked? i would want to try this program and see if the restore worked on another pc but im not even going to risk it...

2, the program doesnt even tell you what values it changes INCASE someone like me, on the worst case scenario could press on the "?" and manually try to change back the registry key values to the way that they were... it just says what keys are going to be changed, doesnt even say what line of the key is changed... thats just such a fail... like it is it hard to add what part of the keys values(since most have more than one) are being changed and from what to what instead of just what key is being changed.

3, as good or as complex as the program can be its simply a failed design, why? because it can turn off features but cannot turn them back on. i understand why there would be a need of a restore point but i dont understand why the program for example cant turn the visuals back on the same way it turned them off....

4, as for the help here, i really do appreciate the time 2 of you moderators have spent with me(even thought its not much) but im still baffled at how not one of you could point me into the "performance options" so i can enable the visuals that were turned off by the program, i think ive made my point pretty detailed at what is f**ked up and what i want to go back to normal, and still google gave me more help on how do enable the visuals back on instead of moderators of the program or just programs website.... thats just odd....

5, the program completely kills Aero/glass effect beyond restore point, i dont know what it does that messes with the aero but it completely destroyed it, from my understand the aero is turned off somewhere somehow even thought its on everywhere it can possibly be.  i have watched like 10 different solutions on how to fix aero/glass effect to not success, AS you can see for yourself in the uploaded image, the performance options dont even have:

"enable aero"
"enable dekstop composition"
"enable transparent glass"

its completely removed from the system so wtf..???!!! there is few other things missing, from what i can count is that i should have like 20+ of performance options to choose from and i only have 15 options.

would i ever use this program again? most likely with a condition of not changing any visuals, OR not checking the "disable desktop composition" because there is no way of undoing it. i dont even know if aero still gets messed up WITHOUT disabling desktop composition.. i know one thing, ive spent hours upon hours trying to fix aero or to say "enable desktop composition" to no success. The last thing you guys can  help me with(if still willing) is enabling the aero,dekstop composition and glass effect, OR ATLEAST bringing those options back into the list, because its nobody but the program that removed them from it..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:38:59 am by youngp33 »

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 11:53:45 am »
since i believe in what is written in ink stays forever i rather just make another comment to say i have found my fix instead of just deleting some of my last comment :D

i dont know why or how but what fixed it for me did not fix it yesterday, maybe its a combination of what ive already done that it worked now as opposed to it dint work yersturday, i found my fix with service "Desktop Window Manager Session Mananger" i simply had to "start" it, and it immediately fixed and and added the 3 options in the list that were missing, but as i said i did try the same yersturday and probably have changed alot of services/registry keys since doing it, all that matters to me is my pc is back to normal visually because that was the only thing i felt different after using the program, everything else is fine .

im still most likely going to use this program every time i game but im 100% sure i am not touching the "disable desktop composition" because to me its a fluke its working now as it dint yersturday,

so once again thank you for your time and patience because i am hard to deal with when frustrated :D peace.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 03:34:46 pm »
In both of your Performance pics you still have the Custom button checked instead of the top Let Windows....

I found early on that my Toshiba laptops don't like being tweaked so I leave well alone and have never used the tweak program.

That is why I'm not familiar with what it does - I had nothing to do with its design.

I'm just an ordinary member like you but with elevated Moderator privileges.

Offline youngp33

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 08:16:54 am »
as ive said before "let windows decide" will just have all the boxes ticked, but i dont like the animation it does when you maximize/minimize a window so i have that unticked, and because i manually untick it, it goes from "let windows decide" to "custom" because it is custom lol... also before using the program "animate maximizing/minizing windows" was off and is off after installing windows, i have installed windows onto a pc like 30 times in my life time, at none of each this animation option is enabled. so its off on default.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 08:20:16 am »
Well whatever you're happy with :)