Author Topic: Windows Firewall, Invalid Data problem  (Read 6635 times)

Offline emmrecs

• View Profile
Windows Firewall, Invalid Data problem
« on: January 30, 2020, 04:38:51 am »
This is my first post here so apologies for any newbie mistakes, misunderstandings, etc., etc..  :cheesy:

I own the Pro version of Tweaking.com Windows Repair version 4.7.1.  Windows 10 1909, i7 6800k, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 with latest drivers.

I'm currently experiencing the problem of Windows Firewall failing to start with the Event Log showing the error as "The data is invalid".  I did find https://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1857.25.html during a search on the forums.

That thread is locked, I think, so my apologies for, essentially, resurrecting it but I did take particular notice of the final post where Shane wrote that the correction for this is now integrated into Windows Repair.  My question is, I think, perhaps rather naive but, given the plethora of Repair options that the app offers, which should I select to run first, or is it best to run the complete set of repairs?  I assume the app runs only the repairs actually needed to restore the particular Windows installation to its optimum? :confused:

TIA of any advice and guidance.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:41:13 am by emmrecs »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Firewall, Invalid Data problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 04:42:10 am »
When you run the full repairs, it will ignore any that don't apply to the version of Windows you are using.

Offline emmrecs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 04:52:56 am »
Thank you. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 04:55:39 am »
You're welcome - let us know how you get on.

Offline emmrecs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 08:04:30 am »
I ran the complete set of Repair tools (in Safe Mode of course) including the Pre-Scan, Check File System, System File Check, all the Backup Tools, all the Repairs (Main) and finally Windows Firewall Cleanup under the Advanced Repairs (Pro).  This latter showed there were No Firewall Rules.

Still no dice!  Tried to start the Windows Defender Firewall and saw the message in the attached screenshot 00634.

Tried to reinstate the Windows Store - it was the loss of this that originally started my attempts to restore the firewall - for it to fail with the error message from PowerShell that this failed because the "Windows Firewall is not running."

This message also included access to an Error log, which I have copied to a Word document which is attached.

I should also add that I run Bullguard Internet Security as my AV and Firewall, so I am not without protection!  However, I have also spent several days working with Bullguard Support to attempt to discover whether it was the cause of the problem, but even completely disabling all Bullguard's modules has failed to allow the Windows Firewall to run.

(I've just checked on the Services app page again; Windows Defender Firewall is shown as "Starting", whereas the Properties screen shows it as "Running".)???

Once again, TIA.

Jeff

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 08:47:18 am »
Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter this cmd followed by another sfc /scannow to see if that resolves the problem.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After the sfc /scannow enter shutdown /r /t 00 and check after the reboot.

If that fails then I would suggest a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

For this you will need Win 10 install media which you can create after reading https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

When you've done that, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the install media (either a DVD or USB) and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup.exe Application.

Offline emmrecs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 10:54:12 am »
Thanks again for all the help!

I followed all the procedures in your latest post, including the Repair Install, but still the Windows Firewall does not start properly and the Event Viewer shows the same error, "The data is invalid".

This is really beginning to bug me!!  :angry:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 02:20:05 pm »
I noticed in that log you had posted that the Windows Store couldn't be registered.

This may be the reason why you keep getting that error.

Follow the steps in this article and reboot afterwards to see if it is resolved, although I'm surprised the repair install didn't resolve.

To run the wsreset.exe cmd, press the Windows key and r to open the Run box and enter it into there.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-store-app-missing-windows-10

This article may also help - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-tips-fix-windows-store-app-issues-windows-10/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:24:28 pm by Boggin »

Offline emmrecs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 07:27:56 am »
Hi thanks again, and apologies for the delayed reply.

wsreset.exe produced an on-screen message that said You'll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store link with the only option being a greyed-out OK button!

I attempted to follow the advice in the linked articles, still no joy!  The Windows Store could not be re-registered because the Windows Defender Firewall "is not running"!!!

Just to further add to the confusion, yesterday I manually tried to start the Windows Defender Firewall service, the attempt failed (it kept trying to start) but within a matter of some two hours or less I discovered that my Windows/TEMP folder had gained several GB of Event Viewer logs and error messages, all leading back to the problem of the failing start of the firewall because "The data is invalid".  I couldn't manually stop the firewall from continuing to attempt to start (and so continue to add to those GB of files) so rebooted, which did end this particular problem!

As of the seeming failure of the repair install, could this have been caused by the fact that it was attempted whilst Windows is running in "Full" mode, i.e. everything loaded?  Would it be worth attempting it in Safe Mode with Networking?  Also, since it was done in the "Full" mode, what is the likelihood (pretty big I think) that my Bullguard Internet Security "got in the way" and so prevented Windows being fully reset?  If that is possibly the case, I am quite prepared to completely uninstall, temporarily, Bullguard and then attempt the repair again.

I may not be able to post back with any further information for some time since my wife and I are beginning a short holiday tomorrow but I will return to this thread as soon as I can.

TIA any offered help.

Jeff

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 08:44:06 am »
I don't think a repair install can be done in Safe Mode with Networking but the way I described is the way it is done and from your post, it did complete.

An infection can stop the Firewall from starting and while you have an AV program, a scan with a dedicated scanner may find something.

Boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and run a scan with the ESET Online Free Scanner to see if it finds anything.

https://www.eset.com/uk/home/online-scanner/

If that comes back clean then download this MS Firewall Troubleshooter to see if it can do anything.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17613/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-problems-with-windows-firewall

If it's still a no go then all I can suggest is a Reset where you can keep your personal stuff but will need to reinstall all of your programs, so if you have any paid for programs then ensure you have the product keys for those.

If you have to go for the Reset, it may be worth checking if the Firewall is working before you reinstall anything and check after reinstalling each program.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 08:50:07 am »
Just to check that your account isn't corrupt, can you open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter this cmd which will activate the hidden Admin account to see if the Firewall works in that mode.

You will need to reboot then click on the Admin icon.

net user administrator /active:yes

When done, turn off the Admin account by repeating that cmd but change yes to no and reboot.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06:54 am »
Test Reply.

Offline emmrecs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 09:11:00 am »
With apologies for the long delay in replying but I think I may have "accidentally" resolved the issue!

I tried the various steps outlined in the previous post, all without success.

In the meantime, I found a printed copy of something I had clearly downloaded a number of years ago from another forum (somewhere), which suggested that using Regedit and navigating to "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy" and then deleting ALL the folders inside "FirewallPolicy", though not the FirewallPolicy folder, and then attempting to restart the firewall would resolve the problem.

For me it was a partial success since the system now threw a DCOM error, which seemed to somehow also involve something preventing me signing into my M$ Office account, via Word etc, on my computer.

Researching this led me to https://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2019/08/easy-fix-for-dcom-permissions-errors-with-powershell/ which, having read very carefully and downloaded the linked script (and having used the dcomcnfg facility to find the actual application ID of the Office Licence server) I was able to run the script and bingo!  The Windows Defender Firewall is now reported by Services as "Running" (no errors in the Event log) and I can sign in to my Office account!  And I have been able to reinstall the Microsoft Store; the loss of access to this is what was originally the catalyst for my attempts to resolve the firewall problem.

Thanks again to all those who offered help.

Jeff

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 03:17:08 pm »
Glad to see that you were able to sort it.