Author Topic: Perplexed  (Read 9878 times)

Offline beeky

• View Profile
Perplexed
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:37:56 am »
Wow! what a mind blowing piece of kit!
Most of the procedures so user friendly (bear in mind I'm a very senior citizen) my only worry is now that its been run and apparently repaired countless files, what do I do to address the other issues where it failed to fix?
My original reason for use was to hopefully solve the machine slowing down and frequent long pauses, I was told to do a Windows re-install from my origial disc/s, but the machine was supplied from the shop with everything pre-installed. I asked the sales chappie, he just looked at me sideways and said, "Nobody provides installation discs, these days" made me feel rather an idiot - left sheepishly.
Sorry, I do tend to wander, I have viewed the log files, spotted some probable problem areas eg WMI/ICS/I.E./MDAC-MS Jet, mention of, a number of times, of "contains wildcard" etc.
Where can I go from here? (Now that's asking for it!)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:30:13 am »
You can ignore those errors as they are just normal ones and mean nothing.

As for the install disk, all Store bought machines dont come with the cds any more because it cost them money to provide. Which is silly I think. If it is a custom built computer from a local store you should have gotten a cd. And even the store bought computers do give you a way to get the cd.

If you need a Windows 7 disk you can grab the images here :-)
https://sites.google.com/site/linuxlablibrary/windows-iso

Shane

Offline Homer712

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:07:35 pm »
I looked at the link above regarding Windows 7 disks. I have a laptop that (when new, OK, and a couple of re-installs) it took hours, if not days, to purge of the bloatware that comes with new machines. If you do a re-install from the "rescue" partition, you're back to square one. I'd love to be able to download Win 7 disks and do a clean install, with only what I want installed, installed. Is there any "tutorial" or guide available on downloading/using these ISO images. I know how to burn ISO images to CD/DVD, but I'm not clear how you go about transferring your Windows 7 license (that came with the Windows 7 installed on the laptop) to the installation done via the downloaded disks.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:08:10 am »
1. There's software around that allows you to extract the MS ProductKey. I did it for Win XP in the past but I don't know if it would work on e.g. a Win 7 system
2. I know there's software around that allows an *.ISO file to be "mounted". "Mounting" an *.iso file allows the user to access that file as if was a separate drive. Perhaps that would enable you to remove any bloatware and save the new image to disk. Perhaps you're also able to extract all the brand and/or computer specific drivers for e.g. the touchpad, drives, wireless devices, mouses, screen, sound subsystem etc.

I noticed that when I used my laptop (Win XP & Win 7) for the first time the Windows system installed all these brand specific drivers as well. That means that in the Windows re-install image those installation packages/drivers are included.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:22:06 pm »
Hi,

Regardless whether you have a CD or not, the code should be on the bottom of the laptop for whatever version you are using.

sometimes getting the code from the registry is different than the install codes.

Undersatand the difference before doing a clean install

also, buy a new hard disk before a clean install!

Offline MikeHawthorne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:27:25 am »
Hi

You can download Windows ISO files at Digital River with the full approval of Microsoft...

http://www.shayatik.com/2013/03/download-windows-7-sp1-official-iso-from-digital-river/

You will need Imgburn or an equivalent to make the .iso file into a bootable DVD.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Just do a clean install and use your existing Product Number.

If you don't know it, install Belarc Advisor, it will tell you more then you will ever want to know about your computer, including the serial number for all your installed software.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Mike

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:57 am »
We should have mentioned "OldTimers tempfilecleaner"

it makes a big difference too, removing all the old files no longer used

someone can post the download link, it is a free prgram worth having