Author Topic: NEED HELP wINDOWS 7  (Read 110399 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP wINDOWS 7
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 10:05:10 am »
It was just a Warfarin blood test and I'm still in the range - got to go back in 3 weeks time.

Not everyone has a Win 7 install disk which is why I've described how to create a System Repair Disk which you can also boot up with to get to the RE.

Also Happy Easter :)

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 04:53:12 am »
 I attached a doc with an update and would appreciate your advice whenever you get a chance so one again have a great Easter.
Pete

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 08:47:32 am »
The Recovery Disks if they are the same as Toshiba allow you to create are a copy of the Recovery Partition which can factory reset your computer by booting up with them when all is lost, but you would lose all of your personal stuff as it would be taken to back out of the box.

This would also occur if you chose the reset options if you chose not to back up first.

The Repair disk may be the same as I've described to create and age wouldn't diminish that (unlike us :) ), other than perhaps damage to the disk, but you could create a new one just to be sure.

I'm not sure what that back up disk could be.

Create a new System Repair disk and then if those bootrec commands don't resolve the slow boot ups then get yourself an external HDD to back up your personal stuff to and then you could have your son use one of the factory reset options.

While the computer will auto reset, the tedious work comes afterwards when you have to run Windows Updates, reinstall your programs, load your personal stuff back on then update the likes of Java and Adobe products and possibly reinstall a printer.

This can be quite tiring.

When you use Windows to back up your files, when you come to restore them, Windows doesn't always put them back where it found them which is why I prefer to manually back up using drag & drop.

As for the mouse causing the freeze on left click, it could be that the mouse is defective and trying another could eliminate - perhaps your son has one you could borrow ?

Just a thought, when the computer freezes up, does left clicking again unfreeze it ?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 03:41:08 am »
Does age diminish people, I never noticed!
My Son is an iron worker and he is out of town most of the time so I am going to take my time and start all over from your first suggestion.
Do you think after I pull the power cord, battery and press the power button that I should re run your program? I am going to purchase the pro version today and was wondering if you could describe which sections of the pro I should run or should I run the entire program and when I do a back-up should it be done on a DVD or like you mentioned an external hard drive?
I won't bother you again until I am finished trying to solve the problem and I can't thank you enough for your help, you are a good person, too bad there aren't more people in this world like you.
Sincerely
Pete Bauer

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 03:51:22 am »
I would think that you've had the computer switched off long enough for what a cold boot assimilates, so there's no need to go through that procedure.

A cold boot is just a quick way to drain the memory which occurs naturally when the capacitors drain over a period of time when the machine is switched off.

To recap, on going back through your thread, you say the computer works okay in Safe Mode - does this include when using the mouse ?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2016, 05:52:46 am »
Yes the mouse always worked in safe mode and I never shut the computer right down with power off I usually leave it in Hibernate. Should I download your tool to a stick or hard drive and forgive for being stupid but t I noticed that you signed one of your threads  with the name Tom, is that your name?
Pete

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2016, 10:15:09 am »
Yes, my name is Tom.

Just thought as you signed off with your name that I should do the same :)

As the mouse works okay in Safe Mode, that would eliminate the mouse as being defective.

You could try the cold boot with the battery and AC power disconnected but I don't think that will resolve.

Let's see if the bootrec cmds will sort out the boot up problems.

If you usually just put the machine into Hibernate, is it slow to come alive from there or is after when you've actually shut it down ?

Windows default is only to create a disk for the System Repair disk and while there are methods to create a bootable USB from that, it would require either DISKPART or 3rd party programs.

It can be put straight onto an USB but that also requires 3rd party programs, so life would be simpler if you had a DVD.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 10:51:05 am »
Hi Tom yes it is slow no mater if it is power off or hibernate or jut to reboot. I have a DVD player on all three computers so I will do it to the removable F-drive. I went to purchase the windows repair Pro, the price says 19.95 and when you click on buy it charges 30.00 I will pay that if that is the price but like anyone would I would rather pay 19.95 if that is the actual cost. Could you please clarify the price for me, or tell me what I am doing wrong when I try to purchase.
Thanks again and have a great weekend!
Pete Bauer

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 10:57:03 am »
I only paid £19.95 for mine.

Were you bundling any of the other programs with it ?

I assume you are in the UK ?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:59:27 am by Boggin »

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2016, 12:08:26 pm »
How stupid can I be, I am in Canada and it would be the difference in the dollar, it didn't mention currency so it never crossed my mind. Thanks once again.
Dumb Dumb me!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2016, 04:42:01 pm »
$1 Canadian = $0.75 US so how does it cost $30 Canadian ?

How are you getting on with the System Repair Disk and those Bootrec cmds ?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 03:19:31 am »
Haven't had a chance as my oldest boy and family arrived form Sudbury Ont. for the weekend and Tuesday back to tests.

When I click on Windows Repair PRO Version Buy Now $19.95 the TOTAL comes up exactly at $30.00 CDN. I don't know how that is possible but that is what I am being charged and it is only the Pro version nothing extra.
I have no problem paying that amount if that is what it costs but if there is an error in the exchange calculation and it is costing more it might stop some people from purchasing the product.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 03:42:32 am »
That works out at Can.$26.26 - do you have a Purchase tax add-on ?

http://currency.wiki/19-95usd-cad

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 04:32:49 am »
I have no add-on and no option, I have to click on BUY NOW 19.95 (no currency mentioned beside the BUY NOW) and when I click on that the TOTAL is 30.00 CDN (currency is shown in CDN$. There must be an error with the converter? I just tried it again and the total is 30.00 CDN.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2016, 04:50:57 am »
I'll email Shane for clarification but may have to wait for a reply with it being a long weekend.

Just hold off on the purchase for now.

I've just checked and I paid £18.00 for mine which I think included 20% VAT (Value Added Tax which is an EU tax).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 05:08:14 am »
I've had a reply from Shane and from a previous query by a member, Shane contacted the paying agent and this is what they replied which will account for the discrepancy -

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.  If the customer was ordering from the UK
 then the price was increased with VAT taxes and he likely also had GBP
 as the currency.  Please note that with a currency conversion the
 exchange rate used for our orders is not as favorable as you might see
 online.  The online exchange rates are typically related to large sums
 of money changing hands between banks.  Because we are typically
 converting small amounts of money, the currency conversion rate may be
 different than what is available when performing larger transactions.
 If the customer wishes to pay in USD their bank may be able to provide a
 lower exchange rate.

Regards,
 Toni K.
 MyCommerce Accounts Department"

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 05:19:20 am »
Thanks Tom I appreciate it

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 05:24:52 am »
Well, you can go ahead and buy now which I'm sure Shane will appreciate, given the work he puts into it :)

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2016, 06:41:39 am »
Hi Tom I'm using that voice thing on my tablet so forgive any mistakes.
I turned my computer on and it booted up in the normal mode so instead of waiting I hit the power button and turned it off, damn I turned it back on to try and get it to boot up in safe mode and the window popped up inside your computer didn't start repair your computer. So I clicked on that and after 10 minutes or so that window with  popped up with all those options that I mentioned to you that had the three options. I use the command that said to log off instead of troubleshooting the computer. I rebooted in safe mode and I now have a window that says you have been logged on with a temporary profile. You cannot access your files and files created in the profile will be deleted when you log off. To fix this log off and try logging on later, please see the event log for details or contact your administrator.
Because I have company I am going to log off and shut down and try again tomorrow and I will purchase the program. Thanks again Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2016, 06:51:43 am »
Normally when I power shut down and then restart, I usually get the error message about an incorrect shutdown with an option to start normally, but I don't think I've ever power shutdown and then tried to go into the advanced boot options - but that's with a Toshiba laptop.

Your HP laptop must think differently :)

Forget about your computer and enjoy your family visit - unless this son is computer literate and you can rope him in to helping you :D

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2016, 06:54:34 am »
I wish

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2016, 07:05:55 am »

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 07:25:23 am »
Hi Tom just purchased Windows Repair Pro, and Technicians Toolbox Pro, just waiting for the e-mail so I can download to my stick.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2016, 07:40:51 am »
Okay :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 08:47:39 am »
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have also been up for over 48 hours getting updates done so you will have to forgive me if I seem a little off lol

Ok so you can work fine in safe mode, but not in normal mode. As soon as you more your mouse in normal mode you get and error and its done.

This isnt the mouse that is causing it. It can be a number of different things and so we just need to go down the list and we cross them off till we find it :-)

I am going to make a list of things to do and I will have boggin help you get through them as I am about to pass out on my key board :-)

1. Memory. If you have any bad sections of memory (Ram) and something hits it you will have this problem. In safe mode you may not notice it because very few things are running and so not a lot of memory being used. If the bad section of the memory is at the higher end you wont hit it till you boot up like normal. Also onboard video cards use the same memory and can cause problems that was as well.

So for this one, if you havent yet, I want you to do a memory test. The one MS use to have on their site is a good one. You can grab it here
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_memory_diagnostic.html

I will have boggin walk you through that.

2. Hard drive. If you have any bad sectors and a system file or drive is on a bad sector and corrupted you will get this kind of problem as well. So do a chkdsk c: /r on the drive, this will check for bad sectors and will take a while! Once done you can find the results a few ways
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

Post the results we want to see 0 KB in Bad sectors at the end of it.

3. Drivers. This one is a lot less common, as in hardware drivers. BUT software drivers is another story. Such as drivers that cd buring software, antiviruses and a ton of others can install. Once of those going nuts can cause this.
Along with drivers is also Services and 3rd party programs. Could have something at startup that is doing it.

On this one it is a matter doing a clean boot, and not just with msconfig, people forget about the task scheduler :-) I have a page on how to do a proper clean boot
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/performing_a_proper_windows_clean_boot_on_xpvista78,1.html

4. Infections. Boot into safe mode with networking. This way you will still be online. Run ADWCleaner and malwarebytes anti rootkit and even combofix. I will have boggin help with that.

But infections can do a lot of damage and the poorly coded ones can crash systems. So this is always a much anyways.

So with that we are covering the most common of the list. Hardware, software, infections and 3rdparty crap.

Lets see how that does and go from there :-)

Shane