Author Topic: NEED HELP wINDOWS 7  (Read 110412 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP wINDOWS 7
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:36 am »
I assume that is a different Memory Diagnostics test to that is built into Windows and will it need something like ImgBurn to create the bootable disk ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 09:18:01 am »
Its the same one, but nice thing is you can make a bootable iso with this one :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 09:20:19 am »
Reading the MajorGeeks article, it says it gives you different levels of scan but the built in one just gets on with it.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2016, 09:45:25 am »
I downloaded the Pro to a stick but when I open the folder I get a number of files and I don't see the EXE file to open the program, please help. remember I told you the last time I rebooted my computer I did it in safe mode and a window popped up that says you have been logged on with a temporary profile. You cannot access your files and the files created in the profile will be deleted when you log off. To fix this log off and try logging on later, please see the event log for details or contact your administrator.

Today I booted in normal mode and it got to asking for my password, I entered the password, it accepted it and then it went back to rebooting again so I can't open it in normal mode. I am going to try now in safe mode and I will let you know, what's next LOL.
Pete

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2016, 10:27:08 am »
Does the same thing in safe mode and normal mode only boot so far. I can still get into startup repair mode what should I do? Should I put the stick with your program in USB port and go from there? Sorry to be such a pain.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2016, 11:54:39 am »
I can still go safe mode and boot up in command Mode!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2016, 12:26:24 pm »
I've found an article which will help you to resolve the temp profile problem, although it is short on some details for those who haven't been into the registry before.

http://www.sysprobs.com/fix-temporary-profile-windows-7

After typing regedit - press enter and accept the UAC.

The first illustration shows a menu bar for which sections you need to expand and to remove the .bak key, just right click on it then select delete.

If in doubt on anything, stop and ask before proceeding.

When done, close up the registry sections then click on File then Exit.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2016, 01:08:49 pm »
Don't expect an answer tonight I know it's late where you are but it doesn't even go to temporary any more the best I get is start up repair window or safe mode and boot up in command mode? Have a good night my friend and thank you for everything to date.
Pete

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2016, 01:20:12 pm »
It's just about 9.15pm here and I'm quite often up until about 1:00am and I'll let you know when I'm off to roost.

Give the Startup Repair a go to see what that reports and you can run that up to three times if at first it says it cannot auto repair.

Where you have the Startup Repair option, do you also have Command Prompt among the rest of the options ?

If you have then you are in the Recovery Environment and you can use that to execute the Bootrec cmds.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 01:56:37 am »
 I meant no disrespect about the "I know it's late there" what I meant is to me time is important as I spent a major portion of my working days running a businesses and missed far to many special and regular days with my family so I have a huge respect for a persons private time.

Today I have another series of tests that are fairly uncomfortable so today is for me is out. You and Shane have given me a wealth of information and spent a lot of time helping me but every time you ask me to try something the computer acts differently, I have family visiting or a Doctors appointment and it seems to me I am wasting your time.

Would it be OK if on this Friday or at a time convenient to you I will have my Samsung 10.5 tablet set up beside my tired computer and I will be able dictate through the voice system instead of typing and  will be able to very quickly describe to you what is happening in case a problem comes up. Not asking you to sit there and watch but just check in the odd time.

I truly do appreciate the effort and time you have given me and if this could be done this way it will save you guys  a ton of time, I am determined to beat this problem and with a passion even with my limitations. :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2016, 06:15:38 am »
Friday will be fine.

There is a program that can hook me up to your machine but while I've been hooked up by someone else, I'm not familiar with the sharp end so to speak.

One thing you can do in the meantime though is to run the memory test if it's convenient

Windows has one built in which can be accessed by going Start - type mem and when Windows Memory Diagnostic Test is highlighted, just press enter or click on it.

This can only check up to 4GB of RAM, so if you have more than that installed, then you will need to take one of the cards out and run the test with only each card installed.

You can find out how much RAM is installed by going Start - right click on Computer and select Properties, but not sure with what's going on with your computer whether you'll be able to do that or start the memory diagnostic.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2016, 10:41:15 am »
Early this morning I was able to do the boot fix but it will not boot up in either mode. Does the same thing in safe mode and normal mode only boot so far. I can still get into start up repair mode and access the menus including the command menu. I will do whatever you feel is needed just say the word. Heading back to hospital for more scans, what a pain, I think I have aged 10 years this week and we just wound up baby sitting a 150lb. 8 year old Rottweiler.
Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2016, 12:38:23 pm »
I hope all goes well for you at the hospital, Pete.

How did you get on with the Startup Repair before, or didn't you try it ?

If you haven't, then run that up to three times if it reports it is unable to auto repair.

Also, at the cmd prompt see what chkdsk c: /f reports and make a note if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

I don't understand why things should have gotten worse after running those Bootrec cmds - after each cmd, was there any message ?

Depending upon what the chkdsk reports, as your wife has a working machine, you could create a Paragon Rescue Disk and boot up with that.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/download.html

You can have a read through its User Manual, but when you boot up with the disk, select it to use Safe Mode and work your way through the boot repairs.

You can leave these until Friday if you like and just let me know then how things turned out.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2016, 04:13:34 am »
I shouldn't be mention my health so often makes me look like a baby, just to clarify the repeated trips to hospitals I had 38 high dose rad. treatment 10 years ago and they are currently doing bone scans amongst others because of a couple of new tumors and loss of movement in my feet and legs caused by neuropathy. Bottom line they can't seem to pinpoint what exactly is causing the "mighty one" to act like his computer, enough said you have enough of your own problem but thank you for asking.

Last night I ran the Start-up repair and it ran from 5:30 pm until 5:00 pm this morning. Around 10:00am last night I thought something was wrong and went to cancel the program and it said it can't be cancelled but this morning it was at recovery manager and I left it there. I guess I was to late see the screen with the report, should I run it again this pm or do chkdisk, and can I do it from the recovery manager?

After doing the bootrec cmd the message said (return as successful.) and I will look at the info about the Paragon Rescue disk and see if I can do that and get back to you as soon as I can. I will be in and out all day as I need only to go to our local Hospital for todays procedures but will be in touch and get as much done as I can between trips.

Thanks again
Pete THE PAIN   :rolleyes:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2016, 04:36:44 am »
It's good to know someone's background so that you don't overload with the info and I've know some who have given up because it was too much for them and they have put it into a repair shop - and you're not a PAIN :D

While you are there then you may as well do the chkdsk to see what that reports, but you could also reboot to see what mode it boots up into.

One never knows :)

Among the repair options does it have one for the memory test, bearing in mind that it can only map up to 4GB RAM ?

EDIT - I'm going to have to shoot off for few hours but will check back in later.

Tom.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:40:49 am by Boggin »

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2016, 05:37:00 am »
No memory test option but if I could boot up in safe mode memory test is there.  Just heading out for test 1 of 4 so will boot up later and will also do chkdsk.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2016, 08:35:15 am »
Under recovery manager I have two options in computer check up Option 1,  launch check disk for Windows partition option 2, launch check disk 4 recovery partition, there is also an option to open the comkhmand prompt. What might be my next move which option should I take?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2016, 08:50:21 am »
Hope your tests went well.

I assume that when you rebooted it still wouldn't boot up normally ?

Do you still have the mouse plugged in or anything else ?

If you have, unplug them and reboot to see if it boots up normally then.

Where abouts do you find the Startup Repair ?

For it to have been running over 5 hours, it must have been struggling.

Run the chkdsk to see what that reports and if it reports any bad sectors, open the command prompt and enter chkdsk c: /r and then run the Startup Repair again.

I don't know if the built in chkdsk uses the /r switch which will move data from the any bad areas, so a manual one will be a belt and braces - but let us know what the chkdsk reports in each case - as well as the Startup Repair.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2016, 09:31:41 am »
Hi didn't reboot yet I wanted to be here when I did that to see what happened. Yes the mouse is plugged in and so is the AC. The startup repair appears when I reboot or restart the computer. Before I run the check disk should I disconnect the mouse and go ahead and reboot and Report you as this happens?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2016, 09:38:16 am »
How do you exit recovery manager short of pushing the power button I've been able to find the other way?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2016, 09:57:46 am »
Go into the cmd prompt and enter shutdown /r /t 00 which will effect an immediate reboot and then go from there.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2016, 10:07:04 am »
Tom do you want me to reboot or use check disk first?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2016, 10:14:49 am »
Do a chkdsk /f from the cmd prompt and then we'll know which switch is being used and that may tell us why the Startup Repair took so long.

A /f switch just repairs files where it can but will still report if any bad sectors are found.

If you have any personal stuff on this laptop, the Paragon Rescue Disk has a file transfer wizard which you could use to salvage them, but you would need external media to copy them to.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2016, 10:21:13 am »
How do the check disk first I have to go back up to the hospital an hour from now and a look at the rest whenever I get back sorry about that and I'll let you know about check disk what happened.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2016, 10:23:56 am »
That's okay - I'm shooting off for a shower now and then have my evening meal.