Author Topic: Registry Backup Beta  (Read 314634 times)

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
Re: Registry Backup Beta
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2012, 10:11:38 am »
Edit: Following was with the previous 1.2.0 build, not the one you just made available.

Scheduled backup still works correctly with 1.2.0 as does manual backup.

Disabled VSC and it took the fallback path correctly and backed up just the files from my account and in C:\Windows\System32\Config.

Looking at the log, it has:
[6/11/2012 - 1:02:58 PM] Waiting for Volume Shadow Copy snapshot...

[6/11/2012 - 1:03:08 PM] Volume Shadow Copy Failed! vss_start.exe isn't running. vss_start.exe is needed to start the volume snapshot process.
[6/11/2012 - 1:03:08 PM] Is vss_start.exe Running: False
[6/11/2012 - 1:03:08 PM] Is vss_7_64.exe Running: False
[6/11/2012 - 1:03:08 PM] Is vss_pause.exe Running: False

Looks good.

Rich
The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain - Heraclitus.

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2012, 12:04:00 pm »

I installed the registry back up and have it boot up at logon because starup did not work. Logon is fine though. I have it to drop off backups after 14 days.
I do not know about the techy aspects but I really like the way it does a backp at logon. It has already saved me once as I made an error and lost my restore points. Using tweak, I was able to recover them.
It is fast and another means of backup support. Great program which will spread quickly.

Am I suposed to be doing anything besides installing it? I read the thread but don't really iundestand it. I'll wait to hear. Peter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2012, 12:14:07 pm »
Just simply download and install updates as they come out for it. It wont overwrite your settings. 1.2.0 will be out next Sunday  :wink:

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2012, 12:39:45 pm »

I've  got it now, thank you.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2012, 09:13:14 am »
So far no bugs reported from you guys  :cheesy:

So far looks like I will put out the new version this Sunday :wink:

I will then need to update the help files and videos to reflect the changes.

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2012, 11:36:13 am »

I am looking forward to it. My family and friends are really secure with this new,yet another way to back up their pcs.
You mentioned needing testors and I am available;I guess you know my limitations but I can participate to the degree that I am able.
Peter

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2012, 03:17:54 pm »
Last 1.2.0 version is really stable to me.  :wink:

I have created a new task from the button "Create schedule", but at the logon I can see the entire gui during backup operations... a bit invasive imho.

1) Can you consider to display the loading window without including the rest of interface (but only for /silent parameter)?  :smiley:
2) Can you implement a switch parameter like "nogui" to exclude completely any interface during backup?
3) When you create a task, it appears only a basic window compiled with a few options (i.e. there isn't delay task function introduced for the first time in Vista).
Otherwise you could list in your FAQ all ways to customize your task according to your needs.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:07:35 pm by neroilo »

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2012, 04:58:54 pm »
neroilo, if you setup the scheduled task to run as System you should not see anything. At least that's the way it works for me.

MAnual backup I have set to run under my account.
Rich

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2012, 05:41:50 pm »
I have created a new task from the button "Create schedule", but at the logon I can see the entire gui during backup operations... a bit invasive imho.

1) Can you consider to display the loading window without including the rest of interface (but only for /silent parameter)?  :smiley:

When I made the silent command it was for the purpose of running it from the task scheduler and from with in my other programs when I add it to them (Like my Windows repair)

I will be replacing Erunt as the backup in my other programs after this has had some time to get known.

So when I made it I needed it to show the backup progress and then close. Everything is in one Window and I didnt want to have to make a whole other section for a smaller display.

Granted silent wasnt the best word to use since it makes it sound as ok silent, stay out of my face! lol

Currently having it run under the system account keeps it hidden since it isnt being ran on your account.

3) When you create a task, it appears only a basic window compiled with a few options (i.e. there isn't delay task function introduced for the first time in Vista).
Otherwise you could list in your FAQ all ways to customize your task according to your needs.

This is because of a limitation. I made a dll that could create tasks in the scheduler. In Windows vista and newer they have a new dll I could use and it works great. But in XP there was no way for the program to do it. So I found the code to finally do it. Thing is when it is ran on Windows vista or newer it shows the old task properties like it did in XP.

Just manually going tot he task scheduler in Windows will give you the rest of the options. I will put that in the help file. :wink:

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2012, 08:35:36 pm »
I usually look through the "Restore Registry" and "Select Backup To Restore" everyday to see if the backup is ok.
I think it would be smoother if when you click on "Select Backup To Restore" that you get the most recent date first, because it is usually the most relevant.

Also when I select a date in the "Select Backup To Restore" I would like to be able to use arrow up and down on my keyboard, so I can quickly compare between different dates.

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2012, 08:39:08 pm »
I usually look through the "Restore Registry" and "Select Backup To Restore" everyday to see if the backup is ok.
I think it would be smoother if when you click on "Select Backup To Restore" that you get the most recent date first, because it is usually the most relevant.

That is a good idea, I will add it for Sundays release :wink:

Also when I select a date in the "Select Backup To Restore" I would like to be able to use arrow up and down on my keyboard, so I can quickly compare between different dates.

I noticed it loses focus so you can't. Let me see what I can do :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2012, 08:50:34 pm »

I just tried and found it to not work well. When you start the program it loads the combo box. When you select one it loads the tree and causes a small slow down at startup. That and I can see non tech users getting confused if they see two populated lists right off the bat. You would be surprised how many users dont read what is in front of them lol

Oh and I fixed it so you can arrow the list now :-)

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2012, 09:04:07 pm »
I just tried and found it to not work well. When you start the program it loads the combo box. When you select one it loads the tree and causes a small slow down at startup. That and I can see non tech users getting confused if they see two populated lists right off the bat. You would be surprised how many users dont read what is in front of them lol

Ok I see!

Oh and I fixed it so you can arrow the list now :-)

Nice  :cheesy:

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2012, 07:16:11 am »
Currently having it run under the system account keeps it hidden since it isnt being ran on your account.

When I run my task under system account at logon (with your default settings), I have some issues in event viewer.

Event id: 1000
Appname: TweakingRegistryBackup.exe, versione: 1.2.0.0, timestamp: 0x4fd62508
Mod name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, timestamp: 0x4ec49b8f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Offset error 0x00033792
ID process: 0x854
App path: D:\BACKUP\Sync\Registry\TweakingRegistryBackup.exe
Module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 90bc9d02-b7bb-11e1-a065-e0cb4e2c5802

In attachment there is a complete report created from Windows7 x64.

Apart from that, backup is correctly created in D:\BACKUP\Sync\Registry\.

I don't have any other task at logon and my startup programs are logitech setpoint and microsoft security essentials.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:11:09 am by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2012, 12:06:11 pm »
It runs fine when you run it normally, but when running under the system account it crashes?

And the error shows that the ntdll.dll is causing the crash. That is a very odd one.

What I need to find out is it something with your system or the timing at which it is being ran under the system account?

Schedule it to run under the system account, then go to the task scheduler and manually start it. Does it still crash or does it only crash at system startup?

Shane

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2012, 01:52:07 pm »
It runs fine when you run it normally, but when running under the system account it crashes?

And the error shows that the ntdll.dll is causing the crash. That is a very odd one.

What I need to find out is it something with your system or the timing at which it is being ran under the system account?

Schedule it to run under the system account, then go to the task scheduler and manually start it. Does it still crash or does it only crash at system startup?

Shane

It crashes only at system startup. Starting task manually I have no crash.

Update: I have just disabled IPV6, no crash in event viewer this time.

Solution:
1) Disable IPV6

We disabled IPv6 using the documented way over at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852
It will not break anything long as you only make the changes in that document. For what it is worth I would make a note of the configuration in the network adapter properties.
Once you have completed the IPv6 disable, we re-run the Internet Connection Wizard and Fix My Network wizard.

or
2) If you have already Windows 7 SP1, install this hotfix:
Remote procedure call service crashes on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Source:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/16cac6e4-ffb5-4920-b48e-0f484ae8c8ff/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:10:55 pm by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2012, 03:30:06 pm »
Awesome, I will add this info to the help page :wink:

Shane

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2012, 04:03:38 pm »
I installed the hotfix, but it didn't solve my issue... only disabling IPV6 stops it.  :undecided:
Tomorrow I'll try to update my network adapter drivers and/or changing my network card settings.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:23:15 pm by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »
Let me know how it goes.

And for the system account, is it set for at system startup or log on? Which ever one it is try switching it to the other and see if you still have the problem :wink:

Shane

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2012, 05:28:42 pm »
I don't see the ntdll.dll problem. IPV6 is not disabled and I have it set to run at system startup.
Rich

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2012, 02:12:15 am »
I also have an issue in event viewer with "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll".

I run my task under "Current User Account" with "Run whether the user is logged on or not".

I will now try to disable ipv6. Then I disable ipv6 I got a yellow exclamation point device manager on "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface - this device cannot start (code 10)"
Then I enable ipv6 again, "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface - this device cannot start (code 10)"  doesn't disappear, so I had to use "Registry Backup" so everything is as it was before.  :smiley:
"Disable IPv6-Microsoft Fix it 50409" modified some registry entries and "Enable IPv6-Microsoft Fix it 50440" didn't help to restore it as it was before.  :sad:

There is an incident in event viewer with version 0.9.2, 0.9.6, 0.9.8 and 1.2.0. for me and I get it only once in a while.

I will try to do backup by using "system user account" in task scheduler.
I have the task scheduler to do a backup at windows startup and I have tried to startup a couple a times, no issues so far.

Tomas
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:14:03 am by Tomas_Sweden »

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2012, 04:34:27 am »
Let me know how it goes.

And for the system account, is it set for at system startup or log on? Which ever one it is try switching it to the other and see if you still have the problem :wink:

Shane

There is no difference in behavior betwen "at logon" or at "startup".
Updating Network card drivers didn't help here.

A good workaround is disabling IPV6 through network connection properties:
http://support.microsoft.com/Library/Images/2635887.png

or, you can delay your task for 2 or more minutes after logon without disabling IPV6 (delay is not supported in XP task scheduler).

This last method helps a lot, but you can't use schedule buttons in the program to create or edit your task, because they will reset delay task function to none every time you push them.

UPDATE: I removed "delay task" and set my task to run (again) "at windows startup". Now I have no error messages, while before "at windows startup" setting didn't do anything to stop error messages.
The only difference is that this time I created a new task from W7-64 task scheduler instead to use your program for it.
Maybe this is the reason because "at windows startup" option didn't work before.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:15:07 pm by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2012, 04:49:07 pm »
OK I am getting the new update ready for release.

I will update the code to detect if it is newer than xp and if it is it will use the new api calls to make the schedule instead of using the old xp code. We will see if this fixes up the error :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2012, 05:56:22 pm »
Tweaking.com - Registry Backup v1.2.0 Released
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

v1.2.0
Program now has an advanced settings section.
Program now has a fallback backup method if the volume shadow copy service fails on a system. It will use the Windows API to backup the core registry files and only the current user registry file. Volume shadow copy is the best way to get all registry files on the system, but now with the fallback method, people who don't have a working volume shadow copy are not left out.
Added new setting to control what VSS exe the program uses. The program uses WMI to pull the OS information. but if WMI isn't working correctly the information isn't pulled and the program doesn't know which vss exe to use. With this new setting you can control it if you have any trouble.
Program can now backup locked profile registry files without having to be ran under the system account.
Improved the scheduler code.
Edit schedule now opens the Windows Task Scheduler.
Code and log improvements.

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2012, 05:09:24 am »

I have two new entries in "Registry Backup" under "User Registry Files"
"C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat" and
"C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\ntuser.dat"

And then I look at "user profiles" I now have "IIS APPPOOL\DefaultAppPool". Can that has something to do with I reinstall .net framework? Can I delete the profile?

I have read this but I don't understand that it is: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/af38172e-1781-4dc7-8835-9581fda8326c   and   http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/624/application-pool-identities 

I see that I got error in event viewer for "Registry Backup" "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll" again.
I haven't try to disable IPV6 through network connection properties.
And I "run under system account" in task scheduler.
I created a new schedule in registry backup with 1.2.0, I deleted the old one.
But it seems that everything works, just that it says that there is an error in event viewer.

Tomas