Author Topic: Registry Backup Beta  (Read 315666 times)

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
Re: Registry Backup Beta
« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2012, 10:41:40 pm »
I mailed a swedish pc magazine about Registry Backup and they posted a program tips about it now!

They explain the program like this: The name reveals the area of ​​use, this is a program for backup (and restore) the Windows registry.
Registry Backup is therefore a perfect tool for more advanced users who like to edit the registry on their own.

http://www.pchemma.se/artiklar/programtips/20120717/registry-backup-1

I have also replaced ERUNT with Registry Backup!  :smiley:

I saw that Nerilo posted :
I can't exit from the program using Taskbar right click menu in Win 7. The only way is using the exit button in top right corner.
Is it possible to change that? 

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 18, 2012, 02:12:59 am »
Registry Backup is therefore a perfect tool for more advanced users who like to edit the registry on their own.

If you do a backup, then a restore (two buttons in total), it is not only for advanced users who like to edit the registry.
For example, it can be useful to recover a Windows registry damaged from malware. In my opinion, they should specify it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:42:20 am by neroilo »

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 18, 2012, 05:11:28 am »
I think my translation is not perfect. It should be something like this:
 "for little more advanced user", but they don't specify "more advanced" than what? beginner or normal user?

But all programs that have to do with registry is considered for more advanced user in general I think, some kind of precaution, even if it's as simple as Registry Backup.

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 18, 2012, 10:44:05 am »
"for little more advanced user",
But all programs that have to do with registry is considered for more advanced user in general I think

This is true :-)

One reason is lets say a user who doesn't understand very much, now lets say they do a reg backup and let 6 months pass. Then they go and do a restore of a registry from 6 months ago.

You can see how that wouldn't turn out well. Also another reason I have the auto delete feature :-)

At the same time I did my best to make the program easy enough for anyone to use.

I saw that Nerilo posted :

I can't exit from the program using Taskbar right click menu in Win 7. The only way is using the exit button in top right corner.

Is it possible to change that? 

I missed that one, let me check on it and see if I can find out why it doesnt close from there :-)

Shane

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41:07 pm »
I have to see if there is any options for it. Right now I just call the shell command like this

Call Shell("C:\Windows\System32\control.exe schedtasks", 1)

So I need to see if schedtasks has any options to give it.

Shane

I don't think so.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/7cbfcf5f-9f7e-4639-8486-6a01e6cb0006

Do you think that these articles can help you?
http://serverfault.com/questions/152620/query-schtasks-using-powershell
http://powershell.codeplex.com/releases/view/54703
http://www.windowsitpro.com/content1/topic/how-to-powershell-scheduled-tasks-140978/catpath/windows-powershell
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:59:42 pm by neroilo »

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2012, 11:29:08 pm »
1. I installed Registry Backup on my brothers computer who has win xp, everything works perfectly.  :cheesy:
When I do a scheduled backup when the computer starts, it takes about 30 seconds on his computer.
With my computer, Win 7 64-bit and much better hardware it takes approximately 2-3 minutes.
What could be the reason for the big difference?
The "Registry Backup" backups 12 files on my brohters computer and 13 files on mine.

2. And another question in "C:\Windows" I have a file that is called "tweaking.com-regbackup-TOMAS-DATOR-Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-(64-bit).dat" what is that?

3. Then look in the "C:\RegBackup" folder and look at the backup I have done, I would like to see if the backup is made with Volume Shadow Copy without have to open the Registry Backup.  I have a folder that is called "2012-07-24_07.26.17" if there is added for example how many files that is saved I realize right away if vss works, so that folder would be called: "2012-07-24_07.26.17_(13)" is it possible to add that?
I'm thinking if my registry is all messed up and I start a bootable usb drive and can't start "Registry Backup" then it's easy to distinguish if I see how many files that is stored in the backup folder. I know that I can open "Log_Vss" and "Log_Backup" but it takes more time than just see how many backup files there is.

You can set the default backup name and default auto backup name for the backups under the advanced settings.
I really like that makes it easy to distinguish manual backup from the scheduled!  :smiley:

Tomas

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:41 am »

2. And another question in "C:\Windows" I have a file that is called "tweaking.com-regbackup-TOMAS-DATOR-Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-(64-bit).dat" what is that?

If you open it with notepad, you'll find the answer:
This file is used for the dos_restore.cmd file to find which drive windows is on when doing a restore from the windows recovery. Please leave this file if you use the tweaking.com - registry backup program

By the way, Shane, I think having a list of all files and registry settings edited and/or created from all your tweaking utilities is a good idea.
Using Windows Repair AIO, I saw a hidden file called pcwintech or something of similar in c:\ folder.

If I were decide to not use Windows Repair or Registry Backup anymore, I'd like a comfortable way to remove all these "leftovers" or at least to know in advance their existence without searching them.
Currently, it's like a treasure hunt.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:29:41 am by neroilo »

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2012, 05:43:07 pm »
I see a C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Registry Backup\pcwintech.ocx which is something to do with ActiveX I think.
Rich
The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain - Heraclitus.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2012, 06:25:20 pm »
By the way, Shane, I think having a list of all files and registry settings edited and/or created from all your tweaking utilities is a good idea.
Using Windows Repair AIO, I saw a hidden file called pcwintech or something of similar in c:\ folder.

There shouldnt be any left over files. All DLL or OCX files are in with the program in the same folder. The manifest file tells windows to use them.

If you find out what file it was on the c:\ let me know :wink:

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2012, 01:55:06 am »

If you open it with notepad, you'll find the answer:
Ok thank you Neroilo  :smiley:

1. I installed Registry Backup on my brothers computer who has win xp, everything works perfectly.  :cheesy:
When I do a scheduled backup when the computer starts, it takes about 30 seconds on his computer.
With my computer, Win 7 64-bit and much better hardware it takes approximately 2-3 minutes.
The "Registry Backup" backups 12 files on my brohters computer and 13 files on mine.

Shane do you know why it is such a big difference?

3. Then look in the "C:\RegBackup" folder and look at the backup I have done, I would like to see if the backup is made with Volume Shadow Copy without have to open the Registry Backup.  I have a folder that is called "2012-07-24_07.26.17" if there is added for example how many files that is saved I realize right away if vss works, so that folder would be called: "2012-07-24_07.26.17_(13)" is it possible to add that?
I'm thinking if my registry is all messed up and I start a bootable usb drive and can't start "Registry Backup" then it's easy to distinguish if I see how many files that is stored in the backup folder. I know that I can open "Log_Vss" and "Log_Backup" but it takes more time than just see how many backup files there is.

Shane if you understand what I mean, what do you think?

And I have a "Log_Backup" in C: that belongs to Registry Backup, the date on the file is 2012-06-27.

Tomas

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 25, 2012, 07:40:54 am »

There shouldnt be any left over files. All DLL or OCX files are in with the program in the same folder. The manifest file tells windows to use them.

If you find out what file it was on the c:\ let me know :wink:

Shane
I have just checked out, it wasn't pcwintech (my mistake). It's called repairs_running.dat.
Considering the name, it should be removed when the program finishes all repairs.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:47:24 am by neroilo »

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 25, 2012, 07:53:58 am »

Generally Win7 has a lot of running services than Windows XP, but you could have any driver or app slowing down your machine.
Can you post the name of these 12 files against the 13 files on your computer?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:02:37 am by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 25, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »
Shane do you know why it is such a big difference?

I noticed that in my testing. VSS is slower in Windows 7 as it has more to do and is a newer version of VSS than in XP.

I have just checked out, it wasn't pcwintech (my mistake). It's called repairs_running.dat.
Considering the name, it should be removed when the program finishes all repairs.

I do have it set to delete when it is done. I will double check again though :-)

Shane

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 25, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »
My automated Reg Backup has a total of 92 directories and 22 files.

Rich

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 25, 2012, 11:26:29 pm »
I noticed that in my testing. VSS is slower in Windows 7 as it has more to do and is a newer version of VSS than in XP.

Ok I see!  :wink:

Ztruker, there do I find "AllBackupFiles"?

Tomas

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 26, 2012, 06:59:26 pm »
I opened a Command Prompt, changed to the folder I use to backup the registry then did a dir /s > AllBackupFiles.txt
Rich

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 15, 2012, 05:30:34 pm »
@Tomas_Sweden: Do you remember when you said that with your Win 7 64-bit a registry backup takes approximately 2-3 minutes at startup/logon?

I have just identified casually a WMI hotfix for your specific issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617858/en-us

For example, the computer takes three or more minutes to start.

Better late than never, I suppose.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:16:03 pm by neroilo »

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2012, 12:31:26 am »
Thank you for showing me the hotfix! I've installed it. I watched my log file how long time the Task Scheduler Backup takes, and August 8
it took 120 sec, then 9 Aug it took 90 sec and yesterday (15 aug) it took about 70 sec. After I've installed the hotfix it takes about 60
sec or less, so about 10 seconds faster. I don't know what happened after August 8, after that the backup has been much faster. Anyway
thank you for the tip!  :cheesy:

Tomas

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2012, 12:50:21 am »
I have installed Tweaking.com - Registry Backup 1.3.0 on my brothers computer (Windows Xp Sp3) and have it to run with Task Scheduler
every time "at log on", now I have it to Run under system account, but sometimes then the computer starts an error message will occour:
Application Error Event ID: 1000 "Faulting application TweakingRegistryBackup.exe, version 1.3.0.0, faulting module unknown, version
0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000003."

And then I look in C:\WINDOWS\Tasks there is the error code: oxcoooooo5.

Then I look in Registry backup, the backup has been made and everything seems normal with that. I have tried to run Task Scheduler under
Current User Account and with "run only if logged on" and I have tried to uncheck the same.

It doesn't crash on every reboot.

Then I look at Log_Vss and at the end it says: "Cancel failed to end program."

I attach the log files.

Tomas
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:43:35 am by Tomas_Sweden »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2012, 10:29:15 pm »
On a side note, I got a hold of Windows 8 and will be loading it up in vmware and testing all my programs.

I really have no desire to go to 8. I still can not believe they removed the start menu!

There are 3rd party replacements, but still!

Shane

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:52 am »
On a side note, I got a hold of Windows 8 and will be loading it up in vmware and testing all my programs.

I really have no desire to go to 8. I still can not believe they removed the start menu!

There are 3rd party replacements, but still!

Shane

According to me, it was an error to leave the classic desktop interface in these conditions. I would have preferred a rebuilt desktop in metro style (with a proper file manager in metro style) to ensure a major coerence with their changes. The graphical switch between desktop mode & metro mode is annoying. One mode or another, not together in the same interface.

I'd like to know if they fixed maximum filename path lenght issue, still occurring in Windows 7 Explorer. But I doubt it, because they're testing ReFS for a future NTFS replacement.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:46:07 am by neroilo »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 17, 2012, 01:35:16 pm »
I will be happy when they dump NTFS and go with a file system that doesn't need defragging like MAC and Linux :wink:

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:05 pm »
I wonder if the crash I have seen with "Registry Backup" on Win xp  is only on my brothers computer or if it's a common problem?

Tomas

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »
How does it do on your system?

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 17, 2012, 10:32:04 pm »
On my win7 64-bit it's working fine! I have it set to run under "Current User Account" in Task Scheduler on my computer.

Tomas